Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdhatfield3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Searcy, AR
I dont know if anybody has noticed this before, but the heatsink on a Quicksilver G4 gets pretty clogged with dust to the point that air flow from the fan virtually stops. I was in the process of installing a ram chip (now running 1.25, YEAH!) and i noticed again as i have before when admiring the guts of my computer that there was no air being "pushed" across the sink from my fan. At closer inspection i noticed that it had so much dust packed between the cooling fins that it really couldn't function. I used the handiness of a twisty tie lying next to me to carefully slide between each fin and was amazed at the difference that was made. So i guess i'm posting this as a note to owners of similar systems, can't really speak for others, that you should take a look and see how yours is looking.

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
This is further evidence that ALL computers should be cleaned regularly with a healthy dose of compressed air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.