PDA

View Full Version : How much revenue do you get?

Nobita
Jan 28, 2011, 06:22 AM
I'm developing some sort of a Twitter client, I have had published an app last year, a kind of academic app that's for uni students. It's free and I have around 50 downloads a week (not that many, 5-10 people a day).

What I'm wondering is, if I charge this twitter client $0.99 (this client has some unique features not available in the official twitter client), how many people do you think will download the app per week? I gave away my first app for free because I just want some publications, but now I'm wondering how to make a few bucks...

forum user
Jan 28, 2011, 06:58 AM
download ratio free app to paid app can be something like 20:1 to 100:1, depending on app and competition.

Nobita
Jan 29, 2011, 06:41 AM
I realise that, but do you know the average download of a regular third party twitter client?

firewood
Jan 29, 2011, 12:47 PM
The average is a useless number. It's not a normal distribution.

The average (median, 50th percentile) paid iPhone app gets roughly zero downloads per day. Word is that 85% of paid apps average sales of less than $10 per day. If you want to do an average paid app, don't expect to make money. Might as well do it as a free app. For making any money with a paid app, you have to develop, market and succeed at making at least a top 20% app (roughly the top 50,000 apps). That's where over 90% of the purchasing dollars go, with most of that going to the top 1%.