Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
Please help me...I need a new set of headphones. I used to use earbuds, but it seems that every time I purchase a new pair they break. I've owned Sennheiser and Denon. When I say break I mean that after a few months to a year it seems that the cable starts to wear down and I have to bend it to produce full sound.

Am I treating my earbuds incorrectly? I wind them up each time around my ipod but other than that I don't think I've abused them in any way.

So, I'm in the market for new headphones, but I'm afraid to shell out over $30 for a pair because I think the same thing will happen.

So, I'm thinking of getting an "over-the-head" pair, or just something different? Is it worth spending over $50 for a pair?

RebeccaL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
You should check Head-Fi mega review of earphones. The ratings include build quality:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread...-compared-meelectronics-cx21-cw31-added-01-26

I recentlyposted a thread about it:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1085043/

I too highly recomend the Meelectronics. I have a set of M9 that sound great. And the cable is wire wrapped which adds durability. They are under $30.

To carry your earphones you should not wrap them tightly as this can break them. Try using a pouch instead of wrapping them around your ipod.

PS:

About spending more than $50. I don't think it is necessary unless you are an audiophile or are unhappy with the sound quality of your current phones. More expensive earphones do not mean greater durability.

Last edited:

yentrog31

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2009
RGGnDFW
I use the v-jays over the ear; a very liteweight but powerful over the ear headphone.Google them and watch the youtube reviews and make an informed decision.They are my fav headphones to date.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.