PDA

View Full Version : OWC Aura Pro Express SSD

elfxmilhouse
Jan 28, 2011, 12:31 PM
Anyone else install one of these (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express)in their MacBook Air?
I just received my 240GB drive today and so far it has been great.

I would like to be able to use the stock drive as an external but it looks like there is no solution yet. I asked OWC and they said there are no current plans to sell an external enclosure.

MultiFinder17
Jan 28, 2011, 12:44 PM
I installed the version for the older Airs in mine a week ago, and it has been nothing short of astounding. It doesn't hurt that I was upgrading from the slow little hard drive in it to the SSD, but even so, this thing blows away anything I have ever used before. It's turned my Air into a completely different computer.

jenzjen
Jan 28, 2011, 02:05 PM
Anyone else install one of these (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express)in their MacBook Air?
I just received my 240GB drive today and so far it has been great.

I would like to be able to use the stock drive as an external but it looks like there is no solution yet. I asked OWC and they said there are no current plans to sell an external enclosure.

I'm confused, why would I want to buy this for $580 more vs just buying the 256GB version directly from Apple at $300 more compared to the 128GB base model? I'm sure there's a reason, but I'm missing it.

Fuchal
Jan 28, 2011, 02:17 PM
I'm confused, why would I want to buy this for $580 more vs just buying the 256GB version directly from Apple at $300 more compared to the 128GB base model? I'm sure there's a reason, but I'm missing it.

You can't buy a 11" with 256GB.

elfxmilhouse
Jan 28, 2011, 02:38 PM
11 inch macbook airs do not come with 256. Also the OWC version is faster.

I think I also read somewhere that the 256gb drive from the 13 cannot physically fit in the 11in

jenzjen
Jan 28, 2011, 03:00 PM
You can't buy a 11" with 256GB.

Thank you, I knew I was missing something obvious.