PDA

View Full Version : PB VRAM in clamshell mode

beaster
Feb 3, 2005, 11:56 PM
I'm getting a 12" PB, which I intend to run in "clamshell" mode much of the time, outputting 1280x1024 to an external LCD. In this config, are all 64 MB of VRAM used to drive the external monitor? I would assume that in spanning mode, the VRAM would be split (50/50?) between the internal LCD and the external monitor. But I would hope that the PB would be smart enough to give all 64 MB to the external display in clamshell mode? Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,
Sean

Rod Rod
Feb 4, 2005, 12:27 AM
I'm getting a 12" PB, which I intend to run in "clamshell" mode much of the time, outputting 1280x1024 to an external LCD. In this config, are all 64 MB of VRAM used to drive the external monitor? I would assume that in spanning mode, the VRAM would be split (50/50?) between the internal LCD and the external monitor. But I would hope that the PB would be smart enough to give all 64 MB to the external display in clamshell mode? Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,
Sean

Yes, in lid-closed operation all the VRAM goes to the external monitor.

I used to run my 12" 1.33GHz PowerBook lid-closed all the time, and System Profiler reported that all 64MB of VRAM went to the external monitor.

beaster
Feb 4, 2005, 01:10 AM
Yes, in lid-closed operation all the VRAM goes to the external monitor.

I used to run my 12" 1.33GHz PowerBook lid-closed all the time, and System Profiler reported that all 64MB of VRAM went to the external monitor.

Great, thanks! I'm literally about to burst waiting for my new PB to arrive.

-Sean