Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smatts123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Hi,
I have had an idea for an app for quite a while now and recently checked the app store if such an app already existed, well it doesn't. I would absolutely love to develop this app and submit it to the app store but the problem is that I have very little programming experience. The principle behind my idea is relatively simple and I know it is possible because some apps already make use of it and it meets the app stores guidelines. So does anyone have any suggestions of where to start...???
Many thanks,
Sam :rolleyes:

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
Hi,
I have had an idea for an app for quite a while now and recently checked the app store if such an app already existed, well it doesn't. I would absolutely love to develop this app and submit it to the app store but the problem is that I have very little programming experience. The principle behind my idea is relatively simple and I know it is possible because some apps already make use of it and it meets the app stores guidelines. So does anyone have any suggestions of where to start...???
Many thanks,
Sam :rolleyes:

You could hire someone to develop the app, it's probably the cheapest/fastest way to get there in the end. If you wanted to develop it yourself, the risk of failure is high and the time/costs are high.
Subing out programming / app dev has been going on for many years, I've done many of them in the past. Note that the contract need to be clear as to who owns what and distribution rights, etc.
It might be hard to do, but check for references, you don't want to come up with a 'killer app' and have them sell/market the idea to someone else or market it themselves.

Another option is to hire a programmer, you run the risk of them not knowing what they are doing, but you own the outcome. You can hire thru a contract / head hunter company, they pay all the taxes, etc... you get a bill.
Kinda like a temp agency for programmers, it might seem like huge money at the start, but if the contract programmer completes the job in 2 or 3 months, you could be done vs investment in learning time to do this yourself.

I've done this as a contract to hire, as my own business owner for many years, use caution: with any new tech, you have 'weekend warriors' - people that think they know more than they do. When I was at Visa, we hired one that nearly downed our whole system because his apps weren't robust and didn't account for future changes. Others couldn't open a file, they were bottom of the barrel and just looking for a paycheck... this is more common with any new tech.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.