Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacR:Steve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2011
What do I need to have my PowerBook make a wireless connection?

266 MHz, 256 MB memory, running OS 8.6

MacR:Steve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks for the response.

I assume I could find the first gen airport card on Ebay. RE the USB wireless card that runs on 10.2, are you suggesting an OS upgrade prior?

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Thanks for the response.

I assume I could find the first gen airport card on Ebay. RE the USB wireless card that runs on 10.2, are you suggesting an OS upgrade prior?

He may not have noticed that you are running 8.6. In order to run alot of that hardware, you will need to upgrade to 10.2, AFAIK there is no WiFi hardware that's 8.6 compatible.

-John

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I used to be an Apple warranty tech and I, for fun, got my 1999 300 Mhz/3GB/160 MB Ram iBook on the internet (barely) with an ethernet cable.

I had all possible downloads to upgrade this originally OS 8.6 machine to run OS X, but eventually it became impossible to run on the internet. Many pages just won't load up.

Jamie37211

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
What do I need to have my PowerBook make a wireless connection?

266 MHz, 256 MB memory, running OS 8.6

You have a "Wallstreet", I assume? The restriction here, more than anything, is the OS. You can use a PCMCIA wireless card under 8.6, but it is tricky. Most of the better options for you exist with OS 9x. I actually managed to get a couple of PB 1400s wireless with a few hardware and OS updates.

There are several options out there for you, but IIRC the 802.11b airport card is not one of them - you have an early Powerbook G3, and I don't think you can install them in this model. I may be wrong.

This is an older tutorial, but it details using a wireless card with Apple laptops in your model range. All of the PCMCIA cards discussed there can be found on eBay, etc. to this day. Good luck!

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
You have a "Wallstreet", I assume? The restriction here, more than anything, is the OS. You can use a PCMCIA wireless card under 8.6, but it is tricky. Most of the better options for you exist with OS 9x. I actually managed to get a couple of PB 1400s wireless with a few hardware and OS updates.

There are several options out there for you, but IIRC the 802.11b airport card is not one of them - you have an early Powerbook G3, and I don't think you can install them in this model. I may be wrong.

This is an older tutorial, but it details using a wireless card with Apple laptops in your model range. All of the PCMCIA cards discussed there can be found on eBay, etc. to this day. Good luck!

If its the original OS its far more likely to be a Lombard (Wallstreets shipped with OS 8.0/8.1, Lombards shipped with OS 8.6 as their OS) - These however are also non-airport capable (That came with the Pismo, which was OS 9) - Im sure Ive seen a bodged 266Mhz Lombard (It had a bad CPU and I think it somehow ended up with a 266 in it) - so it really depends on the keyboard

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.