PDA

View Full Version : compatibility of Leopard + Power mac G5 PPC 2.3ghz (early 2005)

1984dc
Jan 29, 2011, 01:29 PM
Hello everyone here on the forums!

I was wondering if anyone had installed Leopard onto a Power mac G5 2.3ghz PPC (early 2005)?

If so how was the instalation? Did it work straight out of the box? Where there any instalalation tricks or anything i need to know/do before installing?

I would like to move over to Leopard but i would like to get someones confirmation that the leapord works on this particular model before forking out 30.oo on the os cds.

many thanks in advance

dc :apple:

TEG
Jan 29, 2011, 02:07 PM
Leopard works great on G5 machines. If you really can find it for 30 quid jump on it. It usually costs us over $100 here in the US. Just remember that the G5 can only run Leopard, not Snow Leopard.

TEG

chrismacguy
Jan 29, 2011, 02:09 PM
Hello everyone here on the forums!

I was wondering if anyone had installed Leopard onto a Power mac G5 2.3ghz PPC (early 2005)?

If so how was the instalation? Did it work straight out of the box? Where there any instalalation tricks or anything i need to know/do before installing?

I would like to move over to Leopard but i would like to get someones confirmation that the leapord works on this particular model before forking out 30.oo on the os cds.

many thanks in advance

dc :apple:
It also needs to be said you cant purchase 10.5 Leopard from Apple. (The 10.6 discs for 29.95 that Apple currently sells wont work on your G5 - they are Intel only).

slanted
Jan 29, 2011, 03:58 PM
I have a late 2005 2.0. I bought 10.5 from Apple a couple of weeks ago for $129 and then grabbed the 10.5.8 combo update from the Apple site. Just call their 800 number, whatever it is in the UK.

Installation was a breeze off the disk then ran the update from a hard drive. You could probably just grab the update after loading Leopard.

The software runs great, I think it's faster than Tiger and definitely has more features. I'm new to macs and this is a great forum.

Good luck!

VanneDC
Jan 29, 2011, 04:41 PM
yeh mate, its a great OS for your system...

get it while you can :)

cheers