Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nef919

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
UCNJ
I have been thinking about getting into the video field for a while and while I have been playing with various software packages and low-end consumer video equipment I feel like I am ready to stop playing and make the move. This will be my new career. I realize what this entails and this is not my one source of info, but would like to hear other members suggestions/opinions (from experience or otherwise) as to what a one man video production house needs as far as equipment. So far all I have is my 1ghz pb w/superdrive and a 22" apple display. I will be starting off making some documentaries and wedding videos I would imagine will help pay the bills. I have no illusions, but having been unemployed for about a year now I have nothing to lose. I will be funding the equipment purchases through menial work and tech support. I hope to be able to fund this in under $15000 but will come up with what I have to.

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
nef919 said:
I have been thinking about getting into the video field for a while and while I have been playing with various software packages and low-end consumer video equipment I feel like I am ready to stop playing and make the move. This will be my new career. I realize what this entails and this is not my one source of info, but would like to hear other members suggestions/opinions (from experience or otherwise) as to what a one man video production house needs as far as equipment. So far all I have is my 1ghz pb w/superdrive and a 22" apple display. I will be starting off making some documentaries and wedding videos I would imagine will help pay the bills. I have no illusions, but having been unemployed for about a year now I have nothing to lose. I will be funding the equipment purchases through menial work and tech support. I hope to be able to fund this in under $15000 but will come up with what I have to.
Well, i have a company with 3 other guys.

What you need to start off with, if you want to do weddings, or commercials.

A pro-DV camera - Check out Panasonics 24p model. about 2500 bucks
Final Cut Pro - About 1000 bucks.
Microphones - You can go crazy here ( i just spent 3000 on mics)

I could easily go on. I have a Camera stablizer system that goes far in to the thousands. You might want to take a few classes. Right, now i am going to major in Video arts - and Film Correction at SCAD. (Savannah College of Arts and Design) So tell me how far and deep you want to go?

kyle

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Oh man, $15,000 is more than enough money to get started. I can think of multiple different setups that might suit you, I am in the same posistion myself. I am looking at upgrading to a prosumer camera, and really comsidering an HDV based system, but right now it's still up in the air. If you can wait untill mid April to buy, bacause I can almost garuantee that at NAB this year Apple will realease FCP 5, maybe even motion 2 and DVDSP 4. Plus, camera makers will be releasing new camera's hopefully HDV or cheaper DVCPROHD based cams.

I know you may not be looking into going HD based, but if you are going to spend the money, it might be a better investment in the long run to get a HD based camera.

There are several great DV prosumer cams out now, many of which have their pros and cons. HERE is a great article comparing the HDR-FX1 vs. XL2 vs. AG-DVX100A three main prosumer cameras. All are priced around $3,000, and like I said very different.

Really, there is no easy answer to your broad question, the best thing for you might be to go to the 2-pop forums and do some reasearch. If there are any other more specific questions that you might have I can try to answer them, but you might be best going to 2-pop and asking there.

nef919

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
UCNJ
jackieonasses said:
Well, i have a company with 3 other guys.
I could easily go on. I have a Camera stablizer system that goes far in to the thousands. You might want to take a few classes. Right, now i am going to major in Video arts - and Film Correction at SCAD. (Savannah College of Arts and Design) So tell me how far and deep you want to go?

kyle
Well considering I am starting out. I am looking for the minimum that I could get by with. Final cut I have and was considering the production suite. I had built a couple of stablizers for a friend a couple of years back, so I figure if I really need it I can make it or by then affor to buy/rent one.
As for how far well I want to do as much as I can in-house. From filming to post to physical media. I would say to start off being able to shoot, edit and package a documentary. Commercials, weddings and such will also be in the program, but being as most of my ideas currently concern documentaries this is where I'm looking right now.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Storage. Lots of fast, reliable, and redundant storage. A big firewire box full of HDDs should do the trick -- but remember to backup regularly.

If you're doing weddings, you'll need 2-3 cameras (I've used five before, which felt like overkill, but was a nice flexibility). Some nice 3-CCD "prosumer" DV cameras can be had for approx $2000. Add some good tripods ($50 to $100 each, easily) and some gear bags, and you're good to go.

The nice thing about starting w/ weddings and documentaries is that the need for SFX is generally quite low, which make the Powerbook more than capable. You can upgrade to a dual-G5 later, but the Powerbook will do just fine as is.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Question

I've always been intrigued by this stuff and would like to get into film/film editing. But I've always wondered something:

You know how you can have 2+ photographers/filmers filming an event? Then when you're all done you put the video onto the computer and editing it, add effects, and what not. Let's say there is a part, wedding lets say, the best man is giving his speech and you have two cameras on him. Then in FCP you want to alternate between both cameras for different angles and effects (life fading between the angles). How do you get both cameras video/audio synced up so it is a transition is seamless? Does that make sense?

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
tech4all said:
Let's say there is a part, wedding lets say, the best man is giving his speech and you have two cameras on him. Then in FCP you want to alternate between both cameras for different angles and effects (life fading between the angles). How do you get both cameras video/audio synced up so it is a transition is seamless? Does that make sense?

You use one of the camera's audio as a clean master, and one as a scratch(backup) audio. You then just sync up the audio by hand, i.e. by listening and looking to see if it's sync. That's what I do.

Of course you could buy a timecode generator and hook both cameras up to that, that way you can be precise to the frame, but I find that overkill, it's pretty easy to match up audio, I've gotten good at it.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
tech4all said:
You know how you can have 2+ photographers/filmers filming an event? Then when you're all done you put the video onto the computer and editing it, add effects, and what not. Let's say there is a part, wedding lets say, the best man is giving his speech and you have two cameras on him. Then in FCP you want to alternate between both cameras for different angles and effects (life fading between the angles). How do you get both cameras video/audio synced up so it is a transition is seamless? Does that make sense?
You're talking about multicam editing, which FCP currently does not support. You can do it manually, as Laslo says, however, check out the new apps Multicam Lite and Multicam Pro from Digital Heaven. These look very cool and are integrated with FCP. The Lite version would probably work great for you and it's only $295. I haven't used these products, but they look well-designed and promising. I was actually thinking about coding apps exactly like this myself but they beat me to it...rats.

gernb

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2002
Here's a tip...for wedding videos that have a multicamera shoot, sync the footage from each camera on a flash pop. Much easier than trying to sync audio waves, etc.

Ideally, you can have the photographer trigger the flash when you begin rolling tape. Find the frame in each clip, mark it, line them up in the timeline and you are good to go.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
If you're on FCP, you can set AUX timecode for each of your cameras. You can't do this in iMovie or FCP Express as they don't support timecode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.