PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my email for shipment of my Clamcase.

WizardHunt
Jan 30, 2011, 02:38 AM
Well the long awaited email came into my email box today stating that my clamcase has been shipped. The problem is there is no tracking number. This puzzles me somewhat. On the status area of my order online it says Complete. Not shipped not processed but just Complete.

Puzzling. Anyone else got this?

MikePA
Jan 30, 2011, 06:32 AM
Well the long awaited email came into my email box today stating that my clamcase has been shipped. The problem is there is no tracking number. This puzzles me somewhat. On the status area of my order online it says Complete. Not shipped not processed but just Complete.

Puzzling. Anyone else got this?
They didn't provide a USPS tracking number (which are pretty useless any way) and their website doesn't support a status of 'Shipped'. As far as Clamcase is concerned, your order is complete. Would you be any less puzzled if the web site indicated 'Processed' or 'Shipped'?

WizardHunt
Jan 30, 2011, 01:54 PM
They didn't provide a USPS tracking number (which are pretty useless any way) and their website doesn't support a status of 'Shipped'. As far as Clamcase is concerned, your order is complete. Would you be any less puzzled if the web site indicated 'Processed' or 'Shipped'?

This is true, it would not tell me anything further, however still it would have been nice to been able to track it don't you think?

MikePA
Jan 30, 2011, 02:26 PM
This is true, it would not tell me anything further, however still it would have been nice to been able to track it don't you think?

Yes, it'd be nice - but they are having enough trouble delivering their product. Asking them to also make each email notification unique by adding a tracking number is clearly beyond their capability.

WizardHunt
Jan 30, 2011, 03:15 PM
Yes, it'd be nice - but they are having enough trouble delivering their product. Asking them to also make each email notification unique by adding a tracking number is clearly beyond their capability.

Well I can't wait to get it anyway. I just hope it is all they made it out to be.

MikePA
Jan 30, 2011, 03:38 PM
Well I can't wait to get it anyway. I just hope it is all they made it out to be.

Reports on facebook indicate it is....if you don't get one that's DOA.

WizardHunt
Jan 30, 2011, 03:53 PM

If I got one DOA, that would be a huge bummer for all the time I have been waiting. I ordered my on Dec 20th, 2010.

I contacted them about a Tracking number and they said they are unable to provide one. They said I should get mine on Wednesday or Thursday next week. I will post here if it arrived ok, and how I like it.

MikePA
Jan 30, 2011, 05:33 PM
I will post here if it arrived ok, and how I like it.

Great, looking forward to your review and pictures. I ordered mine on 1/21 so I am not expecting it until the end of February.

WizardHunt
Jan 30, 2011, 07:18 PM
Great, looking forward to your review and pictures. I ordered mine on 1/21 so I am not expecting it until the end of February.

Yes I will post some pictures and my take on the case. Guess what, they just emailed me my tracking number and it is being delivered via USPS Priority Mail. So I should have it by Wednesday hopefully. :D:D:D

WizardHunt
Feb 3, 2011, 10:20 AM
Well I was hoping to have my ClamCase by now and have some pictures posted by now. But I have not rec'd it yet. It is coming from CA and since I live in Las Vegas, (only 4 hours driving time) it should have been a overnight shipment. But my tracking number still shows :

Class: Priority Mail®
Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on January 30, 2011 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

So according to the tracking number it has not even been picked up. But my experience with the USPS is known for not updating their tracking very often. In fact they are very bad at updating their numbers but come on, even if they did not update the tracking , if it was sent then I should have got it by now. So all I can do is wait.

It seems that if I inquire about it from ClamCase Company they are not happy about it. I suppose that is due to all the emails they get , when is it shipping and I guess that could get old over time. Anyway I will post my review whenever I get it. I still hoping for this week but I am not holding my breath.

OCDetails
Feb 7, 2011, 11:39 AM
Well I was hoping to have my ClamCase by now and have some pictures posted by now. But I have not rec'd it yet. It is coming from CA and since I live in Las Vegas, (only 4 hours driving time) it should have been a overnight shipment. But my tracking number still shows :

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on January 30, 2011 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

So according to the tracking number it has not even been picked up. But my experience with the USPS is known for not updating their tracking very often. In fact they are very bad at updating their numbers but come on, even if they did not update the tracking , if it was sent then I should have got it by now. So all I can do is wait.

It seems that if I inquire about it from ClamCase Company they are not happy about it. I suppose that is due to all the emails they get , when is it shipping and I guess that could get old over time. Anyway I will post my review whenever I get it. I still hoping for this week but I am not holding my breath.

That doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't been picked up. It just means a delivery confirmation number has been assigned to your package and it hasn't been scanned again. I order things with this kind of delivery confirmation number all the time. Rarely does any data show up until it is checked in at the post office in my city.

WizardHunt
Feb 7, 2011, 11:44 AM
That doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't been picked up. It just means a delivery confirmation number has been assigned to your package and it hasn't been scanned again. I order things with this kind of delivery confirmation number all the time. Rarely does any data show up until it is checked in at the post office in my city.

Well to update everyone, I found out that they are having it shipped from Houston, Texas which I was completely unaware of. 2nd, Texas is having weather problems and they personally called me on the phone to explain the situation and that their shipping department in Texas was blocked due to the weather in that area but that they may be able to get it out by Monday (today) or Tuesday as the weather is getting better. So I hope to get it by Friday or sooner if that is the case. I will let you know.

Also I am aware of that the USPS is very bad about updating their tracking and often a day behind in their updates or even further. I wish they were like UPS or Fed-ex. But that is wishful thinking.

WizardHunt
Feb 8, 2011, 09:51 AM
I checked this morning and seen that it has actually shipped. The USPS has finally updated their site. Usually they update way behind where they are late with the actually results. This morning I was surprised. Today in Vegas at this time is 7:47 am Tues Feb 8, 2011. However their update said it left the Houston, Texas Mail center at 6:12 PM Feb 8, 2011. Note the time.

The time they said is 6:12 PM today. That time is not here yet. So now they are predicting the future it seems LOL. I suppose they meant 6:12 AM and not PM but that was funny to see that.

In any case I should have it Thursday or Friday at the latest since it is being sent Priority Mail... I will post pictures and my review by the weekend. Watch for it.

Here is the results I seen this morning:

Your item was processed through and left our HOUSTON, TX 77201 facility on February 08, 2011 at 6:12 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Detailed Results:

Processed through Sort Facility, February 08, 2011, 6:12 pm, HOUSTON, TX 77201

WizardHunt
Feb 8, 2011, 09:56 AM

I am confident that I will not get one that is DOA, as they called to explain the late delivery to me and at the same time they explained why some got delivered some DOA due to faulty blue tooth not communicating properly. They have fixed this issue and are shipping working units. So fingers crossed. ;)

WizardHunt
Feb 10, 2011, 11:48 AM
Ok, I got my Clamcase, it arrived yesterday. However it arrived DOA. I was not happy to say the least. However I emailed support and I got a phone call 20 minutes later stating that they will send out a replacement Today, that is guaranteed NOT to arrive DOA. They had a Blue Tooth circuit board problem and did not know which ones sent out would have this problem, but I was one of the unlucky ones. Anyway their customer service response was awesome so I should have a replacement by Saturday or Monday at the latest. They paid for return shipping and sending out the replacement Priority Mail.

When I receive it I will do my review. However I will say this that my first impression of how it looks and feels is 5 out of 5 Stars as far as appearance and such. I will go into more detail later when I do my review.

Check back later on.

str8bucs
Feb 10, 2011, 11:59 AM
Can we at least see some pics?

MikePA
Feb 10, 2011, 12:40 PM
Can we at least see some pics?

+1

I'm also interested in how the iPad is secured in the top of the Clamcase.

WizardHunt
Feb 10, 2011, 01:25 PM
Ok here are some pictures. More detailed pictures will come later.

You can find the pictures on this link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26365093@N02/5434351652/

WizardHunt
Feb 10, 2011, 01:30 PM
+1

I'm also interested in how the iPad is secured in the top of the Clamcase.

it snaps in rather securely. There is no chance of it falling out at all no matter how you carry it. It is a tight fit.

WizardHunt
Feb 10, 2011, 01:36 PM
I will say this for now until I get my replacement, I was impressed with the design of the case, and how the clamcase allowed easy access to the iPad's charging port, volume controls and earphone jacks. They have plenty of space to gain access to these areas. It is not as heavy as I thought it would be either. It feels comfortable when holding it . I will do a full review maybe this weekend or early next week with pictures showing the positions it can go into and much more.

Check back with me.

WizardHunt
Feb 11, 2011, 03:21 AM
Here are some pictures for now, More to come later

WizardHunt
Feb 11, 2011, 03:25 AM
And one more picture.

Zodiak
Feb 11, 2011, 06:43 AM
And one more picture.

Well I have to say it does look different then the original renders, looking more with a mat finish then a high gloss black (from the pictures at least) which i dont know if is good or bad. Mat finish is nice as it covers dust and fingerprints but can sometimes leave some wear marks after repetitive contact of certain areas.

Also, I was never sure or not weather the keyboard/base included additional battery storage for the ipad but from where the connector is placed I guess it doesnt.

My questions are these. Was it supposed to have a better speaker system then the one in the ipad or was that a rumor?

Do you think it would work with some form of protection on the back of the ipad?

Are the switches for the keys on the keyboard standard or do they offer the nice satisfing click that mechanical switches offer?

How heavy is the product?

How sturdy is the hinge and how wide does it open?

WizardHunt
Feb 11, 2011, 10:19 AM
Well I have to say it does look different then the original renders, looking more with a mat finish then a high gloss black (from the pictures at least) which i dont know if is good or bad. Mat finish is nice as it covers dust and fingerprints but can sometimes leave some wear marks after repetitive contact of certain areas.

Also, I was never sure or not weather the keyboard/base included additional battery storage for the ipad but from where the connector is placed I guess it doesnt.

My questions are these. Was it supposed to have a better speaker system then the one in the ipad or was that a rumor?

Do you think it would work with some form of protection on the back of the ipad?

Are the switches for the keys on the keyboard standard or do they offer the nice satisfing click that mechanical switches offer?

How heavy is the product?

How sturdy is the hinge and how wide does it open?

Yes the finish is not glossy like in the Ads. . . it is a matte finish which does not show fingerprints at all. I personally like this. Otherwise you would be constantly wiping it to keep it shiny. I doubt it would wear that much in my opinion.

There is no speaker system that I seen, as the iPad only snaps in and does not hook up electronically in order to boost the speaker system. It uses the iPad's speaker system, but I am not 100% sure since mine did arrive DOA. I can let you know next week when I get my replacement.

There is no room for any protection like case to be fitted to the iPad then inserted inside the lid of the Clamcase. There is no need for that, as it is well protected inside this case. The iPad fits securely in the lid, does not wobble around or come loose at all. It is a very secure fit yet, it is easy to snap it out when you want to remove it from the case.

The keyboard keys are silent, but you can tell they are built well, just like a laptop. There is no click, but there is a professional feel to the keys. I like it better than the other cases similar to Clamcase. I am not sure if it is water proof or not. I did not look at the keys that close before I returned it. Since mine was DOA, I could not test the keys 100% so if there is a audio click (which I doubt) I was not able to test that part.

The Clamcase is a lot lighter than I expected. It is made of plastic but it seems a very good quality of Plastic, not cheaply made at all. This makes it light weight but at the same time it handles well. The hinge is sturdy and stays in any position you want. This is a very cool feature and one of it's biggest selling points as it makes it nice not to have another item having to prop it up. It can even fold under itself so you can use it as a tablet with it inside the clamcase. They recommend that you turn off the keyboard portion if you use it as tablet so you don't hit a key and affect your program or game.

Hope this answers your questions and stay tuned for my review later next week along with more pictures of the Clamcase. Let me know what types of pictures you would like when I do the review, for example picture of tablet view, etc...

Zodiak
Feb 11, 2011, 10:48 AM
Yes the finish is not glossy like in the Ads. . . it is a matte finish which does not show fingerprints at all. I personally like this. Otherwise you would be constantly wiping it to keep it shiny. I doubt it would wear that much in my opinion.

There is no speaker system that I seen, as the iPad only snaps in and does not hook up electronically in order to boost the speaker system. It uses the iPad's speaker system, but I am not 100% sure since mine did arrive DOA. I can let you know next week when I get my replacement.

There is no room for any protection like case to be fitted to the iPad then inserted inside the lid of the Clamcase. There is no need for that, as it is well protected inside this case. The iPad fits securely in the lid, does not wobble around or come loose at all. It is a very secure fit yet, it is easy to snap it out when you want to remove it from the case.

The keyboard keys are silent, but you can tell they are built well, just like a laptop. There is no click, but there is a professional feel to the keys. I like it better than the other cases similar to Clamcase. I am not sure if it is water proof or not. I did not look at the keys that close before I returned it. Since mine was DOA, I could not test the keys 100% so if there is a audio click (which I doubt) I was not able to test that part.

The Clamcase is a lot lighter than I expected. It is made of plastic but it seems a very good quality of Plastic, not cheaply made at all. This makes it light weight but at the same time it handles well. The hinge is sturdy and stays in any position you want. This is a very cool feature and one of it's biggest selling points as it makes it nice not to have another item having to prop it up. It can even fold under itself so you can use it as a tablet with it inside the clamcase. They recommend that you turn off the keyboard portion if you use it as tablet so you don't hit a key and affect your program or game.

Hope this answers your questions and stay tuned for my review later next week along with more pictures of the Clamcase. Let me know what types of pictures you would like when I do the review, for example picture of tablet view, etc...

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions but here are a few more.

I do not have a case on the back of my ipad but i do have one of the protective films. Do you feel there would be enough room for a thin film on the back to fit inside?

About the Hinges. How are they? Many laptops suffer from bad hinges and seeing as this is all plastic. do you see them lasting? Are they very thick and solid? and if you open the clamcase, how wide will the hinges bend back to achieve an angle?

I thought clamcase was boasting onboard speakers to improve on the sound of the ipad, initially at least but it woudnt require a connector as the device connects via bluetooth I believe, but I could be wrong.

Does the keyboard feature media keys and a number pad?

What is the expected battery life of the device and how long does it take to charge?

Can you charge your ipad with it on or do you need to remove it to charge?

Do you see any issues removing and reinstalling your ipad in the device overtime?

Does the clamcase leave any marks to the back of the ipad like some device that make contact, once you remove it?

Thanks again for taking the time!

WizardHunt
Feb 11, 2011, 11:15 AM
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions but here are a few more.

I do not have a case on the back of my ipad but i do have one of the protective films. Do you feel there would be enough room for a thin film on the back to fit inside?
Yes if it is a protection cover sheet like from Zagg then the answer is yes it would fit fine. Nothing thick though.

About the Hinges. How are they? Many laptops suffer from bad hinges and seeing as this is all plastic. do you see them lasting? Are they very thick and solid? and if you open the clamcase, how wide will the hinges bend back to achieve an angle?
The hinges are their own design which they say are Patented Hinge Technology. I have to agree that the hinges are very sturdy and seem like they will last a very long time. The hinges are not cheaply made at all, they are heavy duty. They allow 360 degree movement so that it will fold under itself turning the laptop case into a tablet again with the Clamcase still attached. Awesome feature.

I thought clamcase was boasting onboard speakers to improve on the sound of the ipad, initially at least but it woudnt require a connector as the device connects via bluetooth I believe, but I could be wrong.

I could not test out the speakers if it has any. Looking at the case closely I seen no evidence of any speakers inside the case anywhere. That would also add weight to the unit if it did have speakers. But again mine was DOA so I could not test it.

Does the keyboard feature media keys and a number pad?
There are media controls where you can control the sound of your iPad on the keyboard but It appears to be using the existing speakers built into the iPad. There are numbered keys across the top or 2nd row of the keyboard but no number keypad on the side. It does however have arrow keys up,down,left, right just like any laptop.

What is the expected battery life of the device and how long does it take to charge?
According to Clamcase the battery will last appx 3 years. It takes only 90 minutes to charge and needs to be hooked up to a computer to charge. No electric outlet charger.

Can you charge your ipad with it on or do you need to remove it to charge?
You can charge your iPad with it mounted inside the Clamcase as there is plenty of room for the charging cord to be connected. However the Clamcase and iPad do need their own charging cords. Charging one does not charge the other. Keep this in mind.

Do you see any issues removing and reinstalling your ipad in the device overtime?
This is hard to tell, it snaps in securely and holds the iPad really well. Only time will tell this, but it appears to be a well thought out design.

Does the clamcase leave any marks to the back of the ipad like some device that make contact, once you remove it?
I put mine inside the case a few times and seen no marks at all. They were careful in the design and I would have to say that this case is the BMW of cases. They list it at $149 with it on sale for now at $119. I would say it is worth every dime for what I have seen so far.

Thanks again for taking the time!
Your welcome, any more questions, just ask. I answered your questions above in red color.

WizardHunt
Feb 12, 2011, 09:32 PM
I just got notified that my replacement case is on it's way. I should get it Monday or Tuesday next week. I am excited, from what i got to see of the case before I sent back the defective one, it will be a great case for a good price. I ordered another brand of Case and that case does not compare the Clamcase. If you order one, allow them time to ship it. They will answer your emails but you have to allow them time to do so. Sometimes I am jumping the gun on things faster than I should. Anyway I will start my FULL REVIEW with PICTURES next week. Hopefully by Wednesday. Look for it.

WizardHunt
Feb 14, 2011, 09:49 PM
My Review of the Clamcase is below. Along with some more pictures.

This is my review on the New Clamcase that is out for the iPad. I have included several pictures that shows off the cased keyboard. So Lets get started.

First of all my first impression was very good. It is made of plastic but it does not seem to be cheap plastic. It looks like it can last for a while. It reminds me of a larger notebook size but not quite a full laptop size. Inserting the iPad into the case lid was very easy and it is secure as it snaps in. There is no way it will fall out by accident.

When I got my case I had to charge it, and they say it takes 90 minutes but it seemed to me that it was faster than that. The light turned from orange to green fast. This shows it is charged. It has 100 days of standby time, which is considerable.

To pair the keyboard to your iPad was very easy. It is a 5 step process and took only a matter of seconds to do it. There is a quick start guide that comes in the lid when you open it up. It is full of good information that you should indeed read.

This case is unique in the way you can position the lid, and it stays put. So many positions all up to the owners taste. This is great for Movies and just about anything you plan to use your iPad for. It can even go 360 degrees underneath itself to revert back to a tablet without having to pull out the iPad out of the case. They do recommend if you use that position that you turn off the keyboard by holding down the power button for 2 seconds.

What I liked also was the fact that you control the volume, up, down and mute all with your keyboard with the top row of keys. Many options on that top row of keys, Home button which allows you to return to the home screen or you can even double tap the key to reveal the apps running in the background if you are using 4.2 iOS.

The lock key can be used to lock your iPad and even turn your iPad back on. So what a person could do is hit the lock button to turn off the iPad, or sleep it rather, and then hit power on the keyboard to turn off the keyboard. You can turn it on in the same way.

It does not get that hot when using the clamcase. It’s dimensions are 9.8” long x 8.1” wide x 1.0” thick. The case has rubber bumpers on the base on all four corners to prevent the case or lid from scratching the iPad. Those pads are securely fastened. The lid is latch free but does spring close when you close it.

There are copy and paste and cut keys if you are in emails or documents of any kind. And another neat feature is the slideshow key which can turn your iPad into a digital photo frame if you like.

There is a keyboard key to bring up the software keyboard if you wanted to use it , though I would not see why you would want to do that since you have this case.

There are media keys like Play, Pause, Next track, prev track and so on. Your keyboard will go idle if left for 10 minutes unattended. This does not bother the watching movies feature.
If this goes into Power Save Mode, press any key to exit the Power Save mode, and press again to reconnect to the iPad. The Bluetooth icon on the iPad at the top right side will flash it is connected.

Positions the keyboard can be placed in are a super cool feature. They are the standard keyboard position, Touch screen position, Desktop position, and the Tablet position. It is a bit heavier that you may be used to if in Tablet position especially if you used your iPad with no skin on it.

The weight of the case is appx 1.8 lbs. About the size of a notebook laptop. It is actually lighter than I thought it would be. I wish it had a way to use a mouse with this, but with a touch screen you really don’t need a mouse.

My final verdict is this, If you need a case, with a keyboard, this is the best one out on the market today. It is fairly priced, and is loaded with many features. I give this case a 4.5 out of 5 stars only because there is no USB directly in the laptop case, and no speakers. You must use the speakers on the iPad even though the sound can be controlled by the Clamcase. So if you need one, I would highly recommend this one.

ZipZap
Feb 15, 2011, 01:26 PM
Great pictures...thanks.

As I suspected...to thick for me.

Had hoped the hinge would also rotate like most tablets.

Putting the keyboard down directly on the surface....another design issue.

WizardHunt
Feb 15, 2011, 03:43 PM
Great pictures...thanks.

As I suspected...to thick for me.

Had hoped the hinge would also rotate like most tablets.

Putting the keyboard down directly on the surface....another design issue.

I might point out that on the keyboard side there are rubber bumpers so it will not touch the keys if put down on a hard level surface. Just thought I would point that out. But remember to turn off the keyboard before you turn it upside down. This way any keys that does get pressed by accident will not affect the program you are running at the time.

xraytech
Feb 15, 2011, 05:30 PM
I've said I'm not interested in the Clamcase, but now that I've seen one in the wild, I'm now on the fence leaning towards getting one. It's just really poor timing that it is finally shipping 3-4 months away from iPad revision 2.

deadstockmarket
Feb 16, 2011, 12:13 AM
WizardHunt,

Thanks for the pictures. Of all the cases, Clamcase was the one that I was anticipating the most. I balked at ordering one since the upgrade was imminent. If the 2 has the same specs as the original, I'll be ordering one as well. It's a very nice case, even despite adding the extra bulk to it.

xraytech
Feb 16, 2011, 02:37 PM
WizardHunt,

Thanks for the pictures. Of all the cases, Clamcase was the one that I was anticipating the most. I balked at ordering one since the upgrade was imminent. If the 2 has the same specs as the original, I'll be ordering one as well. It's a very nice case, even despite adding the extra bulk to it.

Shouldn't be too hard for Clamcase to produce a version compatible to revision 2.

WizardHunt
Feb 18, 2011, 08:39 AM
I need to mention that I have been using my Clamcase for about a week now daily and the battery in the clamcase is holding up great. It is still flashing 4 lights when you test the battery and that means it is charged 75-100%. I was surprised.. I had to charge my iPad nearly 7 or 8 times but I use it all day. So their battery is holding up well.

TechnoTheMage
Feb 22, 2011, 01:49 PM
Just wanted to post I finally received mine as well. It was worth the wait and I am happy with the product. I hope everyone else gets theirs soon as well. I preordered mine a few months ago if that helps anyone.

Big D 51
Feb 27, 2011, 08:36 PM
Wizard: You put anything over your screen for protection?

WizardHunt
Feb 27, 2011, 08:46 PM
Wizard: You put anything over your screen for protection?

I have SGP antiglare screen protection. It is clear and no orange peel effect like others I tried. It has protected my screen since the iPad came out. It is still perfect.

WizardHunt
Feb 27, 2011, 08:48 PM
I finally had to charge my Clamcase. It charged up fast and I am back using it. everything is working fine. No problems whatsoever.