Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwhynman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I have a 2007 2.0 ghz whit macbook that i bought for my daughter. She has moved on to a new computer. Now i want to use it for my son. I am thinking about replacing the ram and upping it to 2GB. It also needs a new battery, new charger since the old one is showing wires, and I am thinking about replacing the hard drive. Total investment about 2 hrs and $300. Do you think this is worth it. All he will use it is for word, excel, and safari. should the rest of the computer hold up? I think it should. Or is the computer not woth a $300 dollar reinvestment. No matter what i am replacing the battery and the charger since those are needed I guess the question is do i replace the HDD and the RAM?

dwhynman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
What about the Hard Drive would that make any difference? That is just about the same price as the RAM and they are both in the same place.

tonyt3rry

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
Keep the setup, It Should do what you want it to do. Its basic stuff he wants it for and not stupid memory intensive programs

ZebOfMac

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2010
As others have said the RAM is a def upgrade and is really cheap.

For the Hard Disk, personally I would wipe it clean and do fresh install. If he start getting close to filling it, then look at another drive. Until then he should be fine for school with what it came with. After all this is not a gaming machine.

I see these computer still in University by people who have had them when they started and they are still going strong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.