PDA

View Full Version : Powermac G4 Power failure?

Reddmanz
Jan 30, 2011, 11:46 AM
Hey guys,
I used to use my G4 Powermac every day with no problems, then I bought my MBP and obviously it got sidelined :p

It has been left in the same place as when I used to use it but when I tried to boot it up the other day,the light on the front came alive for a second and died again. I then noticed that the there was 'sparking' sound coming from the power supply area.

I'd quite like this machine back up and running and I'm guessing the power supply has had it? Before I go and try and find one I just thought I'd check by here first to make sure I'm right as I cant think of what else it would be.

Thanks

chrismacguy
Jan 30, 2011, 12:31 PM
Hey guys,
I used to use my G4 Powermac every day with no problems, then I bought my MBP and obviously it got sidelined :p

It has been left in the same place as when I used to use it but when I tried to boot it up the other day,the light on the front came alive for a second and died again. I then noticed that the there was 'sparking' sound coming from the power supply area.

I'd quite like this machine back up and running and I'm guessing the power supply has had it? Before I go and try and find one I just thought I'd check by here first to make sure I'm right as I cant think of what else it would be.

Thanks

Sounds like a dead PSU - however I can make my G4s arc just by loosening the power cable - check its pushed in tight, if it is, get a replacement PSU, as thats likely the culprit.

Nameci
Jan 30, 2011, 03:31 PM
I remember i have this issue before the first time I have rescued a PowerMac G4 400 from the dumpster. I just replaced the battery, reset PRAM and it worked fine.

Reddmanz
Jan 30, 2011, 09:56 PM
I don't have the correct battery although I have ones which fit but are a bit more powerful. Im gunna try and pick up one which matches the original.