PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma with my G4

applegeek13
Jan 30, 2011, 03:41 PM
I have a PowerMac G4 FW800 model, the dual 1.25. It also has a 23" Cinema display hooked up to it. MY problem is, it's becoming a money pit. It's not very stable anymore and it's requiring a lot of work to keep it going. It does run quickly, though, and does what I ask it to. My main question to you is this: Should I sell it? It's no longer my main computer, but it might have been if it weren't so darn buggy. (Safari never works, nor Firefox, nor Camino) I would like to keep using a PowerMac, or Mac Pro, but this one has become such a hassle, having to un-set it up, open it, fix something, put it back, test, repeat. IF I were to sell it, how much could I ask, what could I do to get the most money possible for it, and what can I buy that is newer but still in the Pro series? I already have a laptop, so I would love to have a reliable powerhouse on my desk. Also, what might make it more stable? Thank you in advance!

d88co88
Jan 30, 2011, 03:50 PM
Well, what do you mean that Safari, Firefox, and Camino "don't work?"

applegeek13
Jan 30, 2011, 04:05 PM
They sit and load and load, and nothing ever shows up. Sometimes if I restart it, and refresh enough, the page will load. I'm fairly certain it's the browsers, seeing as they once worked, then one by one died.

chrismacguy
Jan 30, 2011, 04:11 PM
They sit and load and load, and nothing ever shows up. Sometimes if I restart it, and refresh enough, the page will load. I'm fairly certain it's the browsers, seeing as they once worked, then one by one died.

Have you tried an OS X Reinstall? If its a software issue that oughta cure it.

Nameci
Jan 30, 2011, 04:26 PM
If you are interested and happen to be in the US and if your 23" apple cinema display is the one acryllic/clear plastic then I am more than willing to buy it...

:D

Yes, try reinstalling the OS first, we mean a real clean install.

applegeek13
Jan 30, 2011, 04:41 PM
I'll try reinstalling Leopard sometime. I only clicked the "Upgrade" button when I upgraded from Tiger. That may fix some things. And yes, it is the Acrylic Cinema Display, the biggest they made of this sort. :D

Nameci
Jan 30, 2011, 05:07 PM
when all else fails, that i wish do not. I am very much honored to be a foster owner of your 23" cinema display...

:D

sorry for the OoT.

applegeek13
Jan 30, 2011, 05:37 PM
when all else fails, that i wish do not.

sorry for the OoT.

I'm sorry, I'm confused. What do you mean?

Nameci
Jan 30, 2011, 05:42 PM
When all the advises fails that I wish it will not for you. OOT is out of topic, i am sorry for that.

chrismacguy
Jan 30, 2011, 07:47 PM
I'll try reinstalling Leopard sometime. I only clicked the "Upgrade" button when I upgraded from Tiger. That may fix some things. And yes, it is the Acrylic Cinema Display, the biggest they made of this sort. :D

One day I will have to find a way of creating an Acryllic housing for a 30" Panel to sit next to a highly-upgraded G4 - why? No reason, other than it would look cool... :cool:

Tyroler
Jan 31, 2011, 09:31 AM
I bought me "Clean my Mac " software from internet and now its working very well
It recovered 14.4 Gb in just 3 Month

chrismacguy
Jan 31, 2011, 09:36 AM
I bought me "Clean my Mac " software from internet and now its working very well
It recovered 14.4 Gb in just 3 Month

Totally unnecessary, and judging by your other posts it could well be causing you massive amounts of problems, OP stay away, it wont sort out your problem and is likely to introduce corruption.