Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbb155

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
Can the MBA handle minor video edits (I mean trimming clips with quicktime pro or mpeg streamclip). WOuld also like the ability to handle elgato video products and playback of hi def video in quicktime and keynote.
Any comments? Samantha.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Can the MBA handle minor video edits (I mean trimming clips with quicktime pro or mpeg streamclip). WOuld also like the ability to handle elgato video products and playback of hi def video in quicktime and keynote.
Any comments? Samantha.

Since I can do all of those things on my Dual G4, so yes it will, however dont expect it to run something like Final Cut Studio with ease, because it wont (Well, not Motion anyway)

Wang Foolio

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2010
Obviously the 13" MBA would be able to handle these things a bit better with the faster processor. The 4 gig upgrade would be an obvious choice as well.

There are some mixed reports on the 11.6" and playback of 1080p video. Converting to 720p if you can wouldn't be a bad idea for either the 11.6" or the 13" models, as space is obviously limited and they don't have 1080p res screens anyway.

Overall though if you're not doing this sort of thing all day long, the MBA shouldn't let you down.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Obviously the 13" MBA would be able to handle these things a bit better with the faster processor. The 4 gig upgrade would be an obvious choice as well.

There are some mixed reports on the 11.6" and playback of 1080p video. Converting to 720p if you can wouldn't be a bad idea for either the 11.6" or the 13" models, as space is obviously limited and they don't have 1080p res screens anyway.

Overall though if you're not doing this sort of thing all day long, the MBA shouldn't let you down.

1080p content that is stored locally on the ssd that plays in quicktime/vlc, at least in my experience, plays back smoothly. Playing 1080p flash video on youtube is a tiny bit choppy, but as you said, there really is no point in playing 1080p video on these screens.

That is my experience with the 1.4ghz CPU, i'm not sure how well the 1.6ghz handles it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.