Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2006
As a person who obsesses over the condition of my Apple products, I would have assumed that their own cases wouldn't cause damage to a $700 phone...

I buy a new bumper every month and a half or two to switch colors, and as I was switching out my blue one I came upon the damage Apple's bumper is doing to my phone. It's scraping and flaking off the finish. I attached a picture- sorry for the quality, but I only have my iSight available...

28m1q29.png

What should I do about this? I'm really tempted to just go in and ask for a replacement phone, because this is quite frankly a load of bulls***. It's all around the phone- Never dropped or abused.

Is this happening to anybody else?

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Ouch that sucks! Ask for a replacement imo. I have a Zagg shield on the sides and back so my phone is protected by the case LOL i know the irony.:D

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Ouch that sucks! Ask for a replacement imo. I have a Zagg shield on the sides and back so my phone is protected by the case LOL i know the irony.:D

Yeah, I have Zagg shields on the front and back, and used to have the Zagg 4fix from Best Buy until my phone had to be replaced due to issues with the home button. When I went to get a new set of side shields, BB said they no longer carried them. I guess I'm going to the Apple store.

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2009
Wow. Thats awful. I have heard people talk about the scratching but had no idea it was to that extent. I would take it into Apple and see what they can do.

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
As a person who obsesses over the condition of my Apple products, I would have assumed that their own cases wouldn't cause damage to a $700 phone...

I buy a new bumper every month and a half or two to switch colors, and as I was switching out my blue one I came upon the damage Apple's bumper is doing to my phone. It's scraping and flaking off the finish. I attached a picture- sorry for the quality, but I only have my iSight available...

28m1q29.png

What should I do about this? I'm really tempted to just go in and ask for a replacement phone, because this is quite frankly a load of bulls***. It's all around the phone- Never dropped or abused.

The bumper is a great minimalist case, but it isn't creating some super air tight seal around your phone. Perhaps you should have been a bit more pro-active about cleaning any dust that had been building up in your bumper.

RebeccaL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
It is a wll documented problem with the Apple bumper. It happens for two reasons: exposed sharp hard plastic and debris under the poor fitting case.

Autokon

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
CA
Yeah, take it in and see what Apple says... A known issue, but sucky none the less.

Jul 1, 2007
Indiana
Mine is the same way, especially around the silent switch. Drove me insane and I ended up covering it with Luckylabs wrap. I hate that I paid $30 for a bumper that scratched my phone more than it protected it.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
This was probably one of the reasons why Apple was working on a new type of metal that wouldn't scratch the Steel. Anyone remember the name or the metal?

Wowzera

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Brazil
that's why I am buying side protection to use with the apple bumper. Best way to keep the iphone 4 brand new is use an apple bumper along with the SGP Steinheil EX Ultra Crystal Clear or any other body protector (do you know any that will still fit with the apple bumper?)

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
FYI if you buy Zagg you can register it online to take advantage of the warranty. So let's say apple replaces your iphone, just remove your Zagg shield and sent it in for a free replacement. It just swap my old zagg for new ones (minus shipping fees). I don't work for them fyi LOL

But anyway, yeah the Zagg sides (or any shields for that matter) tightens the fit of the bumper, at least form my experience.

deeesea

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2010
Happened to my phone,
It doesn't affect its function at all...so i just carried on living my life.

Wowzera

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Brazil
FYI if you buy Zagg you can register it online to take advantage of the warranty. So let's say apple replaces your iphone, just remove your Zagg shield and sent it in for a free replacement. It just swap my old zagg for new ones (minus shipping fees). I don't work for them fyi LOL

But anyway, yeah the Zagg sides (or any shields for that matter) tightens the fit of the bumper, at least form my experience.

The Zagg sides protection still makes the apple bumper fits the iphone 4? Is it wet application for the sides?

Better tight the apple bumper in the iphone 4 than let the apple bumper + eventually dust damage the aluminum border of the iphone 4.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Yeah its the wet app... I mean sliding the case on and off is tighter then without the zag but its fine. the skin on the sides are getting beat up a bit but who cares when its covered by the bumper.

ChinaAzzi

macrumors regular

28m1q29.png

Go to a jewelry store and they should be about to buff it out. You need to take off your case every now and then and clean the grit on the inside. If you switch to a silicone case you should not have this problem. :)

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
The Apple Bumper is the worst quality case i ever bought. I liked how it looks but after 2 weeks of having a green one, it got so dirty and won't wash clean. It is not in a dirty environment, my hands are always clean and it's kept in a clean bag. I removed it daily to make sure nothing got inside since it wasn't a tight fight. Complete waste of $30.

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Washington
They polish scratches out of gold rings, bracelets etc, they should be able to polish the TPU marks out of the metal rim. :)

Yes, but it's not TPU on the inside of the bumper, it's hard plastic that's literally wearing away the frame, not just giving scratches.

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
I actually like the bumper just because it doesn't add any bulk to the phone. I just put tape around the sides before i put it on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.