PDA

View Full Version : Who do we consider Old Skool?

Durandal7
Sep 6, 2002, 12:25 AM
This is just sort of a silly thread but what the hell. How old do you have to be to be considered old school?

job
Sep 6, 2002, 12:33 AM
i voted for "anytime from 2001..."

so in other words...not me... ;)

mac15
Sep 6, 2002, 12:34 AM
one word JefHatfield , think thats right, he is our old skoll representative

vniow
Sep 6, 2002, 12:43 AM
Ah, well. Any one of those options is before my time. :)

SilvorX
Sep 6, 2002, 01:11 AM
ppl who have more than 1000 posts (n dont post like 90 posts/day) should be concidered old school jk jk
anyone who signed up b4 jan '02 maybe so mac15 is old school :P

mac15
Sep 6, 2002, 01:17 AM
wow I'm old school, I signed on the 12/30/2001
so I'm in the middle

caught oin the middle- A1 yeah :D

Mr. Anderson
Sep 6, 2002, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by SilvorX
ppl who have more than 1000 posts (n dont post like 90 posts/day) should be concidered old school jk jk
anyone who signed up b4 jan '02 maybe so mac15 is old school :P

I don't think post count should have anything to do with it. I signed on in Nov 01 and didn't post until 2002. And I'm not the only one who's put 1000 posts up in one month.....

D

SilvorX
Sep 6, 2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet

I don't think post count should have anything to do with it. I signed on in Nov 01 and didn't post until 2002. And I'm not the only one who's put 1000 posts up in one month.....

D
i know that lol, i was just joking as ya see :P lol

if i didnt read the forums so much n posted more i wouldve had 1000 posts by now :S lol but since lots of the threads are really interesting to read, its hard for me to post lol

jefhatfield
Sep 6, 2002, 12:48 PM
if you remember spikey, kela, and john123...that's pretty old school

if you remember when ensign paris was newtonman, that's old school

if you remember when i had way more posts than anybody else and changed my name to networkman...so eyelikeart could take the lead in posts, then you are old school

if you remember blakespot frequently posting here, then you are old school

if you remember the parrot incident, then you are probably still laughing about it:D

mischief
Sep 6, 2002, 01:41 PM
If you remember the 10 or so graphicly-explicit posts that inspired both the sensors and banned a few users.....

If you remember when the G5 issue had only been discussed 3 or so times........

If you remember when Rumors were pet theories and leaks were just research...

If you remember when there were only 5 or 6 forums........ :eek:

job
Sep 6, 2002, 03:51 PM
^
hmmm...

i can't say that i fit any of the above stated requirements....so...

yep, i'm not old skool.. :p

Durandal7
Sep 6, 2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by mischief

If you remember when there were only 5 or 6 forums........ :eek:

Hell, I remember whan there was only 4.

eyelikeart
Sep 6, 2002, 09:44 PM
well jefhatfield is old skool for sure...

the obsolete members he mentioned I'd also consider old skool...

I'm seeing that I'm one of the older registered members here too...but I don't think I'd consider myself old skool...I don't contribute enough.. ;)

jefhatfield
Sep 6, 2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
well jefhatfield is old skool for sure...

the obsolete members he mentioned I'd also consider old skool...

I'm seeing that I'm one of the older registered members here too...but I don't think I'd consider myself old skool...I don't contribute enough.. ;)

i think your first post may have been before mine...i just used to read posts here, for nine months thinking macrumors was only for experts and not basic users like me...plus i was a pc techie so i didn't want to open my mouth at all:D

when i did, i must have ended up on a lot of people's ignore lists...later, i became more like spikey and alphatech with some bold, and sometimes stupid attacks and idiot manuevers (like my misguided attack on buffsldr)

i think bttm is the most diplomatic person i have ever seen on macrumors

Durandal7
Sep 6, 2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield

when i did, i must have ended up on a lot of people's ignore lists...later, i became more like spikey and alphatech with some bold, and sometimes stupid attacks and idiot manuevers (like my misguided attack on buffsldr)
Don't be so hard on yourself jef, you never seemed like a major flamer to me. Of course Alpha never seemed too bad to me either, I guess it's because neither one of you ever flamed me.

Rower_CPU
Sep 7, 2002, 01:43 AM

Just don't get him talking politics.;)

djwoolf
Sep 7, 2002, 02:38 AM
i also think your are old skool if...

You remember the first Power Mac sphere rumor

you were around for the OS X beta

teabgs
Sep 7, 2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

Just don't get him talking politics.;)

or if you wanna toy with him, tell him how much Bush sucks, and all the problems he's causing, and how stupid he is.

:D

that usually gets him....

eyelikeart
Sep 7, 2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by djwoolf
i also think your are old skool if...

you were around for the OS X beta

I skipped out on that one...wasn't so eager to switch my much needed systems to a beta of an OS ;)

but B2TM on politics...he he he...I don't even get involved...WAY over my head :eek:

but get me started on Apple PDA's... :D

Durandal7
Sep 8, 2002, 03:25 PM
You are old skool if you registered before arn.

Macmaniac
Sep 9, 2002, 07:04 PM
if you remember spikey, kela, and john123...that's pretty old school

if you remember when ensign paris was newtonman, that's old school

if you remember when i had way more posts than anybody else and changed my name to networkman...so eyelikeart could take the lead in posts, then you are old school

if you remember blakespot frequently posting here, then you are old school

I match all of these! I am January 4th 2001!!! I remeber when evey news article was approved by blakespot:) Eye is only 3 days older then me. I guess I am one the few remaining 'true' old skool people:) Just look at my sig one of the four old musketeers;)

I loved the sphere rumors and the dodecahedron:eek:
Hey the sphere was half right just look at the new iMac!

Post-888 that is one cool number, so many 8s.

madamimadam
Oct 3, 2002, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

I skipped out on that one...wasn't so eager to switch my much needed systems to a beta of an OS ;)

but B2TM on politics...he he he...I don't even get involved...WAY over my head :eek:

but get me started on Apple PDA's... :D

What DO you think of the possiblility of an iWalk in the Apple product line eye???

;) ;) ;)

madamimadam
Oct 3, 2002, 01:47 AM

Come on, I would HAVE to be the most diplomatoc and modest poster on MacRumors.... ESP. on the topic of American politics.

:D ;) :D :p

eyelikeart
Oct 3, 2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by madamimadam
Come on, I would HAVE to be the most diplomatoc and modest poster on MacRumors.... ESP. on the topic of American politics.

he he he...I still vote for B2TM there...

but hey....u did taunt me with that damned iWalk crap!! :eek: ;)

madamimadam
Oct 3, 2002, 07:19 PM
To be totally on topic, I would say you would have to have joined a lot before me to be old school

I remember all of the above events posted (except for spkiey, kela and john123) but that is because they are not THAT old.

mmmdreg
Oct 9, 2002, 08:07 AM
I think I joined April 2002 so I'm not even on the list...however, I think that old skool seems more to refer to the most known people, generally with higher posts, than the date joined...because there are plenty of people who registered ages ago but just lurk and all...

jefhatfield
Oct 9, 2002, 11:07 AM
now that there are so many new posters every day, i guess anyone with at least thirty posts and 12 months since join date are old skool members

Mr. Anderson
Oct 9, 2002, 11:57 AM
now that there are so many new posters every day, i guess anyone with at least thirty posts and 12 months since join date are old skool members

Yes, but there is a core group of you that's more than just been around for a year. I've not even been here that long and I've seen tons of changes.

job
Oct 9, 2002, 12:17 PM
I registered in January and lurked until summer...

I've only been posting since June...would I be considered "old-skool?" ;)

Nah...probably not... :D

britboy
Oct 10, 2002, 12:42 PM
I consider anyone who registered pre-mid-2001 to be old skool. Mainly because there's so few of them around. I remember all the incidents/previous members mentioned above, but that's not exactly ancient history. The only people i really think of as 'old' members would be eye and jef. Everyone else just seems to have not posted enough to gain any recognition, or to have joined too recently.

Speaking of old timers though, where's blakespot gone?

crassusad44
Oct 30, 2002, 04:09 PM
I voted for late 2001, which puts an old school label on me as well :p , although I do no see myself as a truly old school member (I don't post that much, so people generally do not recognice me, I think).

But I do remember most of the members mentioned above, and I do remember when eye was the first to break the 700 post-mark, and nobody belived it was possible... :p

:)

madamimadam
Oct 30, 2002, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by crassusad44
I voted for late 2001, which puts an old school label on me as well :p , although I do no see myself as a truly old school member (I don't post that much, so people generally do not recognice me, I think).

But I do remember most of the members mentioned above, and I do remember when eye was the first to break the 700 post-mark, and nobody belived it was possible... :p

If only days like those still existed

Then again.... I have broken that mark too... maybe I should drop to 1 message per day instead of 2

Mr. Anderson
Oct 30, 2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by madamimadam

If only days like those still existed

Waxing nostalgic over the old days is not necessarily a good thing. Rampant flame wars and such didn't really make the forums all that fun - even though there was plenty of other things going on.

For me the best times at MR were in 2002, April - July or so.

D

madamimadam
Oct 30, 2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

Waxing nostalgic over the old days is not necessarily a good thing. Rampant flame wars and such didn't really make the forums all that fun - even though there was plenty of other things going on.

For me the best times at MR were in 2002, April - July or so.

D

hahahaha... I don't believe I am even involved in a conversation about when the best time to be on a forum about computers was....... I'm becoming a... a... a.... NNNNEEEEERRRRRRDDDDDD

;)

wdlove
Nov 5, 2002, 03:15 PM
I would consider jefhatfield & the original founders as the base group, those of the 2000 - 2001 class "Charter Members" those the rest of us look up to & respect! :)

jadam
Nov 13, 2002, 06:19 PM
heh, i joined Jan 2002. I think that was before the new imacs came out :-D

jefhatfield
Nov 29, 2002, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by wdlove
I would consider jefhatfield & the original founders as the base group, those of the 2000 - 2001 class "Charter Members" those the rest of us look up to & respect! :)

wow, i am honored...thanks ;)

i just kind of surfed around and found macrumors out of luck/chance

who knew 10,000 plus members would join here in the 2 1/2 years it has been around?

wdlove
Nov 29, 2002, 03:53 PM
Were the lucky ones that you found this forum, thank you! ;)