Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quidire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Hello all

I have a PB12 already; I just switched this past October. My experience has been wonderful, and I'm quite the Mac addict now. The experience of using this laptop has also convinced my girlfriend to switch, and so we are liquidating the Dell we have around, and buying two more Macs...

Question 1: What should we buy; the budget is roughly $3500 and she qualifies for academic pricing.

1. Weak laptop, Better desktop
    • 12" iBook
      • 256 MB RAM (+1GB SO-DIMM (OWC $238) for 1.25 GB)
      • 60GB HD
      • combo drive
      • Airport/Bluetooth
      • $1061+$238=$1299
    • and 20" iMac
      • 256 MB RAM (+2x1GB DIMMs (OWC $400) for 2 GB)
      • 160 GB HD
      • super drive
      • airport+bluetooth
      • wireless keyboard /mouse
      • $1959+$400=$2359
    • Total: $3658
  2. OR Better laptop, weak desktop
    • 15" or 17" Powerbook (1.67 GHz)
      • 512 MB RAM (+2x1GB SO-DIMMs (OWC $476) for 2 GB)
      • 80GB HD
      • combo drive (superdrive w/ the 17")
      • 128 MB Vram
      • Airport extreme/bluetooth
      • $2054+$476=$2530 (+$255 for the 17" = $2785)
    • and Mac mini (1.42 GHz)
      • 1 GB RAM
      • 80 GB HD
      • combo drive
      • Airport/Bluetooth
      • wireless keyboard /mouse
      • $1059
    • $3589 (+$255 for the 17" = $3844)

Question 2: Is there a market for the extra DIMM/SO-DIMM I'll have left over either way?

-RS

auxplage

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2004
Virginia Beach
Option #1 all the way. The iMac is way more future proof than the Mac Mini and much more powerful then the Powerbook as well (not to mention its great built in 20 inch screen). The iBook is as powerful as the Mac Mini and only a little bit less powerful than the Powerbook. I wish I could get #1. Out of curiosity what type of monitor were you planning on using with the Mac Mini (if you have to buy a new one, yet more money)?

quidire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
auxplage said:
Option #1 all the way. The iMac is way more future proof than the Mac Mini and much more powerful then the Powerbook as well (not to mention its great built in 20 inch screen). The iBook is as powerful as the Mac Mini and only a little bit less powerful than the Powerbook. I wish I could get #1. Out of curiosity what type of monitor were you planning on using with the Mac Mini (if you have to buy a new one, yet more money)?
The Mac mini was going to be connected to a 30" HDTV.

I'd have thought that the PB15/17 is quite a bit more powerful than the iB12... but anyway.

The iM20 is tempting, but I'm torn; the PB is newer than the iB, the Mm newer than the iM... and the iM20 really needs 128 video RAM.

The counterpoint is 167MHz vs 600MHz (a huge difference), the 20" vs the 15/17" screen, and of course the Mac mini isn't really even as "good" as the iB.

-RS

Brew, Ha-Ha

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2005
Might I suggest option #1, substituting that 20" iMac for a PowerMac? You can up the VRAM like you want, and can still hook it up to that HDTV like the mini. It'll get you a G5 that is more expandable (read: future proof) than either the mini or even the iMac.

The single processor PM has a faster FSB and, with 160GB drive, 128MB 9600 XT video card, Airport, and BT key/mouse, is only $1,644 EDU , leaving plenty of cash for the extra RAM you want, as well as a few extra bucks for a 17 or 19 inch LCD.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
sorry this is a little off topic but is OWC a good ram suplier because when i get a mac i wont want to pay apples high prices. (althought the mac mini and some pb prices are good)

But anyways i think i would go with the PB and the Mac mini

quidire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
runninmac said:
sorry this is a little off topic but is OWC a good ram suplier because when i get a mac i wont want to pay apples high prices. (althought the mac mini and some pb prices are good)

But anyways i think i would go with the PB and the Mac mini

OWC worked out well for my PB12; very reasonable prices and the RAM worked well. I am not a statistically relevant sample, however. ;)

-RS

quidire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
auxplage said:
What type of stuff do you do "on the go"?

Well right now I use the PB exclusively, so ... everything ;-)

I (will) use whichever Mac is "best" that I own for gaming (no, I am not interesting in a gaming PC)
I run OmniWeb/Graffle Pro/Outliner Pro almost continuously.
Adium
Xcode and SubEthaEdit
857MB used right now, normal usage. Keep in mind that's with the PB swapping out what it can to keep a fair amount of the 1.25GB available on the fly.

-RS

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
quidire said:
OWC worked out well for my PB12; very reasonable prices and the RAM worked well. I am not a statistically relevant sample, however. ;)

-RS

Thanks for the help. :)

Anyone elses experiences would be welcome

shane-o-mac

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
Check the specs

I am pretty sure a mac mini is unable to support a 30" display. Here is my suggestion, pick up a pimped out 15" powerbook and just add a digital display, you can even upgrade the graphics to support a 30" cinema.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I used to own a 12" powerbook Rev. C and I just received a new 15" powerbook on Thurday. I must say I am VERY impressed with the quality of the screen in this thing. It is brighter than my old powerbook was and even than my girlfriend's current 12" powerbook is. The speed is great even with the stock ram due to the HD speed boost. If you upgraded the graphics to 128MB you would be in business. If you are going to be needing to take power with you on the go then I would highly recommend this powerbook. However, if you will be around the house more when you need the real "power" then by all means go with the iBook/Powermac option suggested earlier in my opinion. If you are going to use one of the computers as a gaming machine then the powermac is the logical option due to the expandability. Just my personal suggestion.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
I would go for option 1.

However good the new PB is, its never gonna match up to a G5 in the iMac, and the 12" iBook is not that bad, still not MILES away from the PB. Option 1. :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
definately iBook+iMac.

as much as i love PB its just too similar to the MacMini in spec to actually warrant getting both.

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
My opinion

option #1 sounds like a winner.

you get a G5, maxed out on RAM, sweet 20" monitor, and the cool form-factor of the imac. This will be a wonderful video editing machine, and will definately last a long time.

the iBook with 1.25GB RAM will be an awesome portable. Great battery life, excellent Airport range, light-weight. Plus, you already have a PB, so this will make it easier to tell them apart!

Keep the 30" TV for what it was meant to do: Watch TV / Videos. You'll be happier in the end.

-alywa

PS... thinking about it, I may just have to go this route later this spring when we move. Hmmmm... 20" iMac with 2GB RAM.... drooooollll!!!

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Option 1

Because there you get the G5 and it is totally maxed out so great performance, and a maxedout iBook as well very nice and why have a bigger PB when you allready have a 12" and the 20" iMac :rolleyes:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Unless your gf is required to doing some crazy ship on a laptop, then go for Option 1. I actually like a Powerbook moreso than an iMac because there isn't a large difference in performance, and yet it's portable for when you need to take it out. However, seeing as how I think the iBook gets a lot of flack for not being so great, I believe they're wrong and the iBook is a GREAT laptop, almost as good as the PB and much much better value for money considering the performance difference and build quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.