PDA

View Full Version : Got me a not-working iMac G5 17"

Tyroler
Jan 31, 2011, 06:43 AM
Seems the Caps are bad. Some bend a little on there Top.
When cover removed and started comes first two Light on,but no Picture.
Found now a Company in Kent who changes Caps for 140.-
They dismantle the iMac,replace the Cabs,test them,rebuild iMac and test. Would get Computer back after 5 Working day.
but,they don't do anything other if not-working comes from another Fault.
I could order a set caps for 17.- about with free Shipping inside UK.
As i find not-working or damaged iMac's from 80.- upwards i am thinking to give them a go. 140.- isn't bad.
Got said OSX 10.6 is installed and have to buy me new Software to re-install them,in case of Failure in Future to have the Disc. Don't know if Time Machine would do it do.
well,may also upgrade Ram and Hard drive,as no space to but i second in.

i'm new with Apple,but like how the System is build up. everything from one House. But i am new to computer anywhy,so a lot i have to learn.

chrismacguy
Jan 31, 2011, 07:06 AM
Seems the Caps are bad. Some bend a little on there Top.
When cover removed and started comes first two Light on,but no Picture.
Found now a Company in Kent who changes Caps for 140.-
They dismantle the iMac,replace the Cabs,test them,rebuild iMac and test. Would get Computer back after 5 Working day.
but,they don't do anything other if not-working comes from another Fault.
I could order a set caps for 17.- about with free Shipping inside UK.
As i find not-working or damaged iMac's from 80.- upwards i am thinking to give them a go. 140.- isn't bad.
Got said OSX 10.6 is installed and have to buy me new Software to re-install them,in case of Failure in Future to have the Disc. Don't know if Time Machine would do it do.
well,may also upgrade Ram and Hard drive,as no space to but i second in.

i'm new with Apple,but like how the System is build up. everything from one House. But i am new to computer anywhy,so a lot i have to learn.

1) Replacing the caps on a iMac G5 is a real challenge (Although plenty of websites telling you how to do it), and should not be attempted unless you have a steady hand and preferably experience with a soldering iron.
2) If its a PowerPC G5 (or any PowerPC) Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard does not work, and cannot be installed - you need 10.5 Leopard (about 85 quid new from apple, possibly slightly less on eBay)

Tyroler
Jan 31, 2011, 07:45 AM
I don't like Ebay.
I was looking Years ago someone,working in a Internet Cafe,and mending Computers,getting Stuff from Ebay,opening the Package softly,putting the Faulty Part back in the Package,phoning PayPal the Part isn't working,and so he got a good Part for no Money.
Well, :-) i would send you the Cash for a OSX Software without knowing if you will send it to me,but i dont like to get anything i can't use. a Copy,for emeple.
just an Exemple.
just selling a few Mac and then whats left upgrading and new Software on.
well,I did some Soldering in the Past,but as i haven't a Spare Logicboard i will give them the Job,as the Multi Layer Boards are difficult to do.

chrismacguy
Jan 31, 2011, 07:54 AM
I don't like Ebay.
I was looking Years ago someone,working in a Internet Cafe,and mending Computers,getting Stuff from Ebay,opening the Package softly,putting the Faulty Part back in the Package,phoning PayPal the Part isn't working,and so he got a good Part for no Money.
Well, :-) i would send you the Cash for a OSX Software without knowing if you will send it to me,but i dont like to get anything i can't use. a Copy,for emeple.
just an Exemple.
just selling a few Mac and then whats left upgrading and new Software on.
well,I did some Soldering in the Past,but as i haven't a Spare Logicboard i will give them the Job,as the Multi Layer Boards are difficult to do.

As far as eBay goes you just have to be careful - there are plenty of reputable sellers of OS X there, in fact Ive bought 75% of the OS Disks I own on eBay, all turned up just fine. If you hate eBay however, give apple a call (cant do it online) and ask to purchase 10.5 Leopard - theyll probably sell you a copy for 89 quid, which was the original retail price I believe (I was lucky to purchase several copies when it came out, so I have a disk for all my Macs if I ever have to sell them).

MacHamster68
Jan 31, 2011, 08:57 AM
op you did not read the advert right its 140 without VAT , but still a good price considering working refurbished G5 sell now up to 350 and non working ones can be picked up for under 100 , so it might be worth to get it repaired in your case where you know exactly whats wrong and that only the caps are faulty

but others who now think "hmm there is profit to be made " just fix it up by changing 1 or 2 bulging caps and by the time the owner has the fault with the other caps bulging the time ran out for filing a case
this idea is widespread and some make a good revenue from doing so
some ebay shops even sell both the capacitor kits for iMac G5 and "working"iMac G5's and honestly say the if you ask if they checked the caps , no we do not check them we dont have time for checking every iMac we sell , and there is no known capacitor problem in iMac g5's

chrismacguy
Jan 31, 2011, 09:14 AM
but others who now think "hmm there is profit to be made " just fix it up by changing 1 or 2 bulging caps and by the time the owner has the fault with the other caps bulging the time ran out for filing a case
some ebay shops even sell both the capacitor kits for iMac G5 and "working"iMac G5's and honestly say the if you ask if they checked the caps , no we do not check them we dont have time for checking every iMac we sell , and there is no known capacitor problem in iMac g5's

This and this alone is the reason I havent bought an iMac G5 yet (And I have had just about every other Mac now, but the iMac G5s and LCS PowerMac G5s are things Im not going to get till their the last Mac I dont own :cool: )

Tyroler
Jan 31, 2011, 09:39 AM
op you did not read the advert right its 140 without VAT , but still a good price considering working refurbished G5 sell now up to 350 and non working ones can be picked up for under 100 , so it might be worth to get it repaired in your case where you know exactly whats wrong and that only the caps are faulty

No,they change the hole Lot on the Logic board.Im sure they will ask for more Money to change it on the Power Unit,but they are flat on Top,so i don't change it if Price is too high.
Otherwise i bought them as i will go for few Month to USA and can't take the G4 power PC with me. Too heavy for Airline.

MacHamster68
Jan 31, 2011, 04:22 PM
yes the company in kent (ashford )does definitely change all and they are good and to my knowledge have only happy customers !

i meant that just as a warning to others who think of getting a iMac g5 of ebay cheap , yes you can make a good deal if you know its only the caps
which are generally the most common fault , and fixable if discovered early enough , if you ran a iMac g5 with a bad cap it could well cause major damage inside
due to overheating of the processor for example , and there is the possibility of other faults like display fault on top of the caps , and then it gets expensive and not economical to repair any more

i have posted a warning before here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1021697) because i bought a "refurbished one" at ebay

and again you can make great deals on ebay from honest ebayers , but you can as well throw your money out of the window if one is less honest about what he sells

hope for you they fix your iMac before you go traveling with it ;)

Tyroler
Feb 1, 2011, 01:32 PM
http://www.ixtreme-repairs.co.uk/#/apple-imac-g5-capacitor-kit/4540929370
I will ue them here in UK,
but there is also another Famous
http://jimwarholic.com/2008/07/how-to-repair-apple-imac-g5.php

or do it yourself,if you good in Soldering
http://www.instructables.com/id/Imac-G5-DIY-capacitors-repair/