Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
While this is already being discussed in another thread, it is funny how glad people are about not having Sandy Bridge where just last week people were still bitching about it. My how the mighty fall.

Tikkabhuna

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2011
You badly quoted that article. There's a problem with the 6 series chipset in that SATA ports could degrade. Does the Macbook Air even use SATA ports?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
You badly quoted that article. There's a problem with the 6 series chipset in that SATA ports could degrade. Does the Macbook Air even use SATA ports?

The thing is it's in the chipset released in October 2010. It's not like this is a huge deal. It's not like the CPU themselves are bad. I think this is a bunch of nonsense and a small deal people want to make out to be a huge deal... somehow they're thinking all Sandy Bridge CPUs are junk, not true at all.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Sandy Bridge was shown at CES 2011 and it hasn't been that long since it shipped out. Glad intel caught this before it went to general public for good.

It's so sad people alway cry about how 13 inch MBP and 13 MBA do not have latest intel chip, and see what happens.

Apple made a right call last year with 13 MBP. They made a right call about original iphone shouldn't have 3G built in.

New technologies will have flaws.

benjones

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
The thing is it's in the chipset released in October 2010. It's not like this is a huge deal. It's not like the CPU themselves are bad. I think this is a bunch of nonsense and a small deal people want to make out to be a huge deal... somehow they're thinking all Sandy Bridge CPUs are junk, not true at all.

300 million a small deal? All Sandy Bridge desktop motherboards along with all Sandy Bridge laptops will have to be recalled. I'd call that pretty damned big.

And to back that up a well established ASUS reseller has confirmed the ASUS G73SW laptop is affected:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asu...s-chipset-error-related-sandy-bridge-cpu.html

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
as noted in the article:

For the millionth time, the MR article is WRONG!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/intel-discovers-bug-in-6series-chipset-begins-recall

Have you noticed a lack of dual-core Sandy Bridge based notebooks on the market? Intel wanted to but couldn’t launch every last SNB SKU at the same time, so the dual-core notebooks got pushed out until mid-to-late February. Unfortunately, that was pre-bug. With this latest delay you shouldn’t expect dual-core SNB notebooks until a few weeks after their original launch date, at the earliest.

If we assume fixed chipsets are available in the last week of February, they can be put into systems the first week of March. Then expect at least a week of testing and validation if not more. Add another week to ramp up production and we’re looking at late March or early April for dual-core SNB notebooks. Those of you waiting on Apple’s updated MacBook Pros fall into this category. I’d say April is a safe bet if you’re waiting on an upgrade.

merkinmuffley

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2010
as noted in the article:
The issue cited by Intel in today's release does not affect notebook chipsets such as those expected to be used in a Sandy Bridge update to Apple's MacBook Pro line, which is also due for an update.

Update: While initial reports had suggested that the issue is limited to desktop versions of the platform, Cougar Point is in fact used in both desktop and mobile chipsets based on Sandy Bridge, indicating that the recall could also delay availability of refreshed Apple notebooks such as MacBook Pros.

Penooker

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
They made a right call about original iphone shouldn't have 3G built in.

New technologies will have flaws.

Wait, what? 3G was around for years before the iPhone came out. And even if it was less than years old, why was it the right call?

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Wait, what? 3G was around for years before the iPhone came out. And even if it was less than years old, why was it the right call?

It's not just any 3G. It's AT&T 3G and their network cannot handle all the iphone users. Apple decided to abandon 3G network on first iphone because they believed AT&T network won't be able to handle heavy iphone users and they were worried about battery life was not good enough yet on 3G.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I'd rather have a sandy bridge that will get recalled and replaced before I notice any degradation then a C2D that i'll be stuck with until I buy a new laptop.

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
Original poster, please read up on the issue.
-It's not a problem with Sandy Bridge. Sandy Bridge is the processor and SATA doesn't connect to it. SATA connects to the IO chipset.
-It's a degradation issue that affects some, but not all the SATA ports. MacBook Air uses just 1 port.
-Intel is looking at taking care of this graciously, it seems like, and they've communicated the issue to everyone.

bri1232001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
Original poster, please read up on the issue.
-It's not a problem with Sandy Bridge. Sandy Bridge is the processor and SATA doesn't connect to it. SATA connects to the IO chipset.
-It's a degradation issue that affects some, but not all the SATA ports. MacBook Air uses just 1 port.
-Intel is looking at taking care of this graciously, it seems like, and they've communicated the issue to everyone.

Thank you for clarifying things for me. Intel does seem to be handling the issue professionally in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.