PDA

View Full Version : disk space?

nature girl
Feb 5, 2005, 02:31 AM
This may be a dumb question, but i can't seem to figure this out. How do you check how much disk space you have on your computer? I just want to know how much space i've used up already on my PB. Thanks

Blue Velvet
Feb 5, 2005, 02:44 AM
Open a window in Finder any window that has files & folders in it.
At the bottom of the frame will be something like: xx item, xxgb available

OR

Open a window in Finder any window that has files & folders in it.
In the Sidebar, select your hard-drive, press the keys Apple-I.
You will see the capacity, used and available numbers there.

robbieduncan
Feb 5, 2005, 03:00 AM
For the more hardcore use the Terminal! The command df shows disk free space. The -k switch will show the amounts in k (instead of human unfriendly blocks). OSX also supports the -h switch instead of -k which shows space in clever human friendly units (i.e. uses M for megabyte, G for gigabyte and so on as appropriate).

Example:
du -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/disk0s9 75G 68G 5.8G 92% /
devfs 94K 94K 0B 100% /dev
fdesc 1.0K 1.0K 0B 100% /dev
<volfs> 512K 512K 0B 100% /.vol
automount -nsl [431] 0B 0B 0B 100% /Network
automount -fstab [434] 0B 0B 0B 100% /automount/Servers
automount -static [434] 0B 0B 0B 100% /automount/static

Shows that I currently have 5.8 gigabytes on my disk.

Solafaa
Feb 5, 2005, 03:13 AM
Well what i do is simpler, click on hard drive do apple key and "i" or right click it and click "get info". You should get something like the pic below. Its best to keep track, for example i know generally how much stuff i have but doing "get info" on my Apps folder, Documents extra.

abhishekit
Feb 5, 2005, 10:42 AM
Well what i do is simpler, click on hard drive do apple key and "i" or right click it and click "get info". You should get something like the pic below. Its best to keep track, for example i know generally how much stuff i have but doing "get info" on my Apps folder, Documents extra.

Just to add a nifty little trick to the method above, if you press option+cmd+i, and then just click on different folders one by one , it would keep showing you info of every folder. So you dont have to do cmd+i for every folder. :)

cheers

Applespider
Feb 5, 2005, 10:47 AM
Ahbishekit - that's a very cool tip. Gosh, you learn something new and useful every day!

James Craner
Feb 5, 2005, 11:04 AM
Just to add a nifty little trick to the method above, if you press option+cmd+i, and then just click on different folders one by one , it would keep showing you info of every folder. So you dont have to do cmd+i for every folder. :)

cheers

Excellent tip, thanks very much. I can know track down my hard disk space hogs with ease.