Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 6, 2010
The United States
I'm sorry, but I can't stand the Bluetooth or design of the Magic Trackpad/ Magic Mouse. The regular Apple Mouse is okay, but after a few years (sometimes months) the stupid trackball will stop working. Any suggestions? I'm trying to find a really nice mouse that feels nice in the hand, won't hurt you after long periods of time and one that isn't Bluetooth reliant. I've had bad luck with Bluetooth devices (constant lag, screwed up response time), so I'm trying to steer clear of them (that and the fact that they require batteries - another minus - at least for me). Thanks. :)

P.S. I would like responses based on long-term personal experiences, not quick try-outs in the store or "this looks good/ has good reviews". I'm trying to make the best decision. Thank again!

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
well I have an MX revolution that I think is really nice and have used it for years. biggest problem is the charging cradle is messed up but I think they have done away with that now days and now it uses a microUSB cable to charge. It goes days between charging. The one I have has worn out thumb. I do not think they use the thumb Scroll any more and the free spin is not as nice but still nice.

I also use natural mouse which came with the Microsoft 7000 natural kit. Both mice are really nice and feel good. Both are wireless.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Two posters recommending MX Revolutions? Hmm... I may have to look into that. Thanks. :cool:

not made any more is the draw back. Here is a link to the newer model but from what I have read from people who have used both they like the Revolution better. When I tried it out in a store I like the revolution better but I have read people who did chance to fall in love with the revolution they think it is great.

Biggest difference is the free scroll is not as nice and you loss you side scroll buttom which I will admit I hardly use the side scroll but the loss of the free scroll and having to control that with a button is not something I like.

free scroll on that mouse is controlled by a button compared to software controlled on mine based on how hard I spin it.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Performance-Mouse-Mac/dp/B002HWRJBM/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
I am not regretting my decision to buy 4 MX Revolutions a few years back. I'm set for years.

Wow, I don't feel so bad now. I bought two of them a while back when Best Buy had them for under $40 each. I think it was when they phased them out in favor of the MX Performance. I love the MX Revolution, but I like the MX Performance even better. Same design, but I much prefer the USB cable charging over the cradle that the MX Revolution uses. Also, if you have the Apple wired keyboard with USB ports, you can plug up the charging cable for the MX Performance and use it as a wired mouse while it is charging.

For my notebook, I got a Logitech MX Anywhere mouse for half price on Black Friday. It is excellent as well, and may be a better fit for those with smaller hands. I have big hands, so it is a bit small for me, but I am willing to live with it for portability. It still has programmable buttons on it (through Logitech Control Center), and it really does track on any surface.

MX Performance link

MX Anywhere link

The Logitech VX Nano is really good as well.

Yeah, I really like Logitech. :)

Last edited:

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
My preferred rodent of choice is the Logitech G3--high-precision laser with adjustable DPI, a couple extra buttons without going over the top, well-defined notchy scroll wheel, and a simple classic shape/design.

Hmmm. On further reflection, they've been discontinued, too...silly Logitech!

alphaone

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
I've had a Logitech Performance MX for about 5 months now. Got it to replace my decade old Microsoft Wireless Explorer (awesome mouse obviously IMO, just was wearing out). I think the Performance MX is similar to the MX Revolution. The mouse comes with a single Sanyo Eneloop battery that is replaceable and you can charge the mouse by plugging it into the USB via computer or wall plug (it uses micro usb, which is great because I have many things that use that cable), and you can use the mouse while it's charging. The wireless adapter is RF (which is superior to bluetooth in my experience) and extremely small, which is great for my MBP on the go. More than enough programmable buttons too. It's also got Darkfield so you can even use it on glass. Honestly I can't think of a single bad thing to say about the mouse. It has been a worthy replacement for my old immortal Microsoft mouse.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 6, 2010
The United States
I've had a Logitech Performance MX for about 5 months now. Got it to replace my decade old Microsoft Wireless Explorer (awesome mouse obviously IMO, just was wearing out). I think the Performance MX is similar to the MX Revolution. The mouse comes with a single Sanyo Eneloop battery that is replaceable and you can charge the mouse by plugging it into the USB via computer or wall plug (it uses micro usb, which is great because I have many things that use that cable), and you can use the mouse while it's charging. The wireless adapter is RF (which is superior to bluetooth in my experience) and extremely small, which is great for my MBP on the go. More than enough programmable buttons too. It's also got Darkfield so you can even use it on glass. Honestly I can't think of a single bad thing to say about the mouse. It has been a worthy replacement for my old immortal Microsoft mouse.
Cool. I'm leaning more and more towards this mouse with each post. ;)

Links are welcome too, guys!

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Cool. I'm leaning more and more towards this mouse with each post. ;)

Links are welcome too, guys!

you will not be disappointed. This weekend I will be spending some time getting the charger for my revolution cleaned up and working again. It is well worth it because of how much I like the mouse.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Had my MX Revolution since 2006 - still running solid. Unlocked the mouses potential with Steermouse (allows you to map every button + button combinations).

Sadly - I only see one used on Amazon - the rest are price gouging. These are nice mice though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...iid=&me=&qid=1296517202&sr=8-2&seller=&colid=

I bought a G500 to use at work - not all the buttons of the MX Revolution - but it's got adjustable DPI, couple extra buttons, the manual version of the scroll wheel in the MX and nice response.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G500...XI/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1296517470&sr=8-11

Apple...

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 6, 2010
The United States
you will not be disappointed. This weekend I will be spending some time getting the charger for my revolution cleaned up and working again. It is well worth it because of how much I like the mouse.
Any more suggestions are welcome, but I think I just found my mouse! Thank you very much! :)

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I am not regretting my decision to buy 4 MX Revolutions a few years back. I'm set for years.

I should have done that. Mine finally died.. the tracking started going completely awol or not moving at all.

I upgraded to the Performance MX, but I miss the Revolution. The new one is good, damn good, but just not in the same class. And I miss the jog wheel at my thumb. All in all, however, they really are quite similar; and you can't beat the quality on high-end Logitech hardware. Plus, the software offers good support for OS X.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 6, 2010
The United States
I have a MX Revolution, Apple Mighty Mouse and Apple Magic Mouse, my main preference is the Mighty Mouse.
The Apple Mighty Mouse was good - while it lasted. The trackball doesn't last very long, and I didn't like the weight/ poor Bluetooth connectivity of the Magic Mouse.

Needless to say, I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up a MX Performance in the next few days. :cool:

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
Logitech is king.

Personally, I think Apple's mice are the most God-awful piece of junk available to the public.

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
I have an MX Revolution, got it from Best Buy for like 38$ a year and a half ago. One of the best deals ever. Best mouse I have ever used. Didn't know they phased it out for the Performance, though.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
I may be too late - but if I were to replace my MX Revolution - I'd likely replace it with the G700.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/devices/7244

It goes wireless AND wired, and has enough buttons to maintain the functionality of the thumb-wheel the MX Revolution has.

Because after you map OSX to that thumb wheel - it's nightmarish to use an Apple without it. (show desktop is wheel in, dashboard is wheel back, and application windows is wheel forward) So at this point, I could not go on in OSX without my thumb in control.

It spoils you, seriously.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
The Apple Mighty Mouse was good - while it lasted. The trackball doesn't last very long, and I didn't like the weight/ poor Bluetooth connectivity of the Magic Mouse.

Needless to say, I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up a MX Performance in the next few days. :cool:

The trackball doesn't last too long, i'm on my 3rd Mighty Mouse. :D

The Magic Mouse just doesn't feel right, had to go back to the Mighty.

EdbBob

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2008
I never liked any Apple mouse. The design is great, but the ergonomics stinks. The best mouse I know is Logitech G500. It has a cord, so it never runs out of battery, when you need it most. The teflon surfaces at the bottom are large, so they don't get worn down as quickly as other mice. It has a high precision laser, that runs on any surface I've tried, including a glass table. It has replaceable weights, that makes it possible for hardcore users, to adjust the weight, and thereby the feel of the mouse. I use the extra buttons for Expose etc. But best of all, is the scroll wheel, which is just perfect. You can enable/disable the click of the wheel, and disabled, the wheel has this very smooth motion, with inertia when scrolling fast. All for less than 100$!

I loved the G5, but the G500 is even better. I know it's ugly, but most of the time, it's covered by your hand anyway.

EdbBob

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2008
These. ^ Don't take form over function (er, ergonomics for that matter). ;)

One of my friends has a mantra for developing new things:

Priority:

1. Structure (the thing has to be proper quality)
2. Function (what is it supposed to be able to do?)
3. Aesthetics (which comes more or less automatic if 1 and 2 are solved)

Always choose function over form. Aesthetics is like fashion. It's subjective and it changes over time. I might go as far as to postulate, that aesthetics is some sort of a mass psychosis. Still I love Apple's design ;)

The MX has the same wheel as G500. Trust me, you're gonna love that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.