Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsamo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have a Black Macbook 4,1 with a 250 GB hard drive. I want to upgrade the hard drive, but have a few questions.

1) I want to increase the capacity to 500GB, preferably 7200 RPM. Does anyone have recommendations on which model/brand to purchase and install?

2) I'm a novice when it comes to changing computer hardware. I replaced the hard drive on an old iMac G5 that I had and everything worked afterward, except after installing the new drive my Mac always took 30 seconds to a 2 minutes to wake up after the hard drive was asleep. How can I avoid this same thing occurring with my Macbook? Is it better to find a professional nearby to replace?

3) Any tips regarding reinstalling my software. Step 8 of Apple's Reinstalling the Software section references "Leave the Disk Utility application open, and restore the backed up files from the image
you created before removing the hard drive." Would the file for my computer on my Time Capsule work as the "image" in this process or should I follow the Time Machine instructions Apple has published?

4) Any other general advice or things I may not be thinking of?????

Thanks,

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
1. I like the WD Scorpio Black. It's what I have in mine, and I have never had an issue with it.

2. That shouldn't happen if you do it properly, which really isn't hard

3. I'd boot from the install disk, then go into disk utility and format the drive to HFS+, then I believe there is an option to restore from backup. Click that, select your time machine disk, and it should set it up for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.