PDA

View Full Version : The Daily - what will it need to get you on board?

chriskzoo
Feb 1, 2011, 08:23 AM
I am intrigued by The Daily due to Apple's involvement in the development and the subscription model at 99 cents a week works if someone wants to go "paper free" and no longer have a paper delivered.

What I am hoping they do with it is that it not only be a national newspaper, but also serve as a platform for other newspapers to deliver content to. For instance, I live in Detroit and subscribe to the Detroit Free Press, however they simply do not have an iPad app, and despite having an e-subscription, it is almost impossible to get it in a readable format on the iPad.

It doesn't seem like it would be too hard for them to make a standard container (e.g. like an RSS feed) that papers could use to deliver their content to The Daily and you could have all your newspapers in one place.

Zcott
Feb 1, 2011, 10:57 AM
Content, content, content.

It's a good price and no doubt the interface will be good but I don't want to read a magazine which is flashy for the sake of being flashy and has little content. I want to read good journalism, see great photography, and I'm happy to pay for it.

iphone1105
Feb 1, 2011, 11:22 AM
CONTENT and interactivity.

Content, is obvious IMO.

I'd like it to be interactive, embed videos with articles, maybe video of those who they quote. The ability to save an article for offline use. I'd love to see a deep interactive sports section. Read a game review, click on the image of the game per say, and the stats of that game pop up. etc.,

deeddawg
Feb 1, 2011, 11:48 AM
I'd like it to be interactive, embed videos with articles, maybe video of those who they quote.

To this point, I hate the web sources that just give a video and no written story. I want to SKIM the article, READ they key points, and maybe then look at a video if it interests me.

Doylem
Feb 1, 2011, 11:50 AM
What would it need? To be totally unconnected to that reptilian Aussie, Rupert Murdoch...

Night Spring
Feb 1, 2011, 12:43 PM
All the free sources of news on the Internet would need to disappear.

SuperCachetes
Feb 1, 2011, 12:46 PM
To this point, I hate the web sources that just give a video and no written story. I want to SKIM the article, READ they key points, and maybe then look at a video if it interests me.

+1.

All the free sources of news on the Internet would need to disappear.

+2.

And if it came with a free iPad, I'd be on board today.

petvas
Feb 1, 2011, 12:48 PM
I would like to see international versions localized for all markets. I don't care about local US news. I am interested in international events and local German news. I guess the same could be said by anyone not living in the US.

That70sGAdawg
Feb 1, 2011, 03:50 PM
Wait and see in a couple of days with the free trial. Let's not get political about it. I'm looking forward to it myself!

Jakeblu
Feb 1, 2011, 03:55 PM
What would it need? To be totally unconnected to that reptilian Aussie, Rupert Murdoch...

Absolutely, I would never knowingly pay money to any organisation that profits mr Murdoch

chriskzoo
Feb 2, 2011, 09:21 AM
Just an FYI they are streaming the announcement on www.thedaily.com coming up within the hour.

I will be interested to see what it offers. I think that it has to offer more in-depth analysis than what is out there currently. I think the people saying the "free news" would have to go away are missing the point - there is a difference between something like CNN and AP which essentially report facts and very superficial analysis, versus something like the WSJ or what I think The Daily will be going for in that you will still get your facts, but the coverage will be much more in depth.

Who knows, we'll see.

Mitchrapp
Feb 2, 2011, 10:10 AM
I'll certainly take a look at it.

Apple...
Feb 2, 2011, 10:13 AM
Live: the Daily will cost just 14 cents per day.

uraniumwilly
Feb 2, 2011, 10:19 AM
I wouldn't partake of any entity that involves itself with dumbing-down our news information sources and perpetuating divisive political dialog. This organization, namely Newscorp is evil, short-sighted, stupid and worthless.

Apple...
Feb 2, 2011, 10:21 AM
Did anyone notice? The Daily crashed during the 360 view demo... I laughed so hard. Seriously. The guy who was demoing just started at it dumbfounded. So funny! :D

Feb 2, 2011, 10:23 AM
It'll need journalistic integrity and actual news.

Two concepts Murdoch seems unable to grasp.

hcho3
Feb 2, 2011, 10:23 AM
It launches today. I am not sure if there is going to be free trial, but I am going to try it for a week. If I like it, I keep it. If not, then bye bye because I already like WSJ, NY post and USA today enough already.

gloss
Feb 2, 2011, 10:24 AM
Absolutely, I would never knowingly pay money to any organisation that profits mr Murdoch

I'm assuming you've never bought a book published by HarperCollins or seen any film distributed by 20th Century Fox or any of its subsidiaries?

Apple...
Feb 2, 2011, 10:25 AM
It launches today. I am not sure if there is going to be free trial, but I am going to try it for a week. If I like it, I keep it. If not, then bye bye because I already like WSJ, NY post and USA today enough already.
They said the first two weeks will be free, courtesy of Verizon.

Mitchrapp
Feb 2, 2011, 10:26 AM
I also like the 360 view. I'm hoping, though not expecting that we're able to get NEWS. And when I say NEWS, I don't mean Twitter, Hollywood, fluff stories. I want news. Egypt, the flood in Aus., when a plane goes down, financial stories etc.

But it is cheap so certainly worth a shot. And maybe this gets other papers to do the same.

OSMac
Feb 2, 2011, 10:28 AM
People like surfing the web with a browser to read news, sports , etc, at web sites of personal choice.

That's free.

To have to run a separate app and pay is a non starter for most.

chriskzoo
Feb 2, 2011, 10:29 AM
Hilarious how people can't separate their hate for Murdoch from the product and have to bring it down to the level of laughing because the app crashed once - as if Jobs has never had a "Turn off your WiFi!" moment.

I think it looks pretty compelling and I'll definitely be giving it a chance. Some of the things they showed were pretty awesome, especially the Twitter integration where you can bring up the Twitter feed of athletes or celebrities you are reading about in a story.

Apple...
Feb 2, 2011, 10:33 AM
Hilarious how people can't separate their hate for Murdoch from the product and have to bring it down to the level of laughing because the app crashed once - as if Jobs has never had a "Turn off your WiFi!" moment.
What? I'm not a hater. I just liked the expression of the guy's face when it crashed. That's what made me laugh.

chriskzoo
Feb 2, 2011, 10:37 AM
I also like the 360 view. I'm hoping, though not expecting that we're able to get NEWS. And when I say NEWS, I don't mean Twitter, Hollywood, fluff stories. I want news. Egypt, the flood in Aus., when a plane goes down, financial stories etc.

But it is cheap so certainly worth a shot. And maybe this gets other papers to do the same.

Yeah, I can see where something like The Daily could eventually be free - or forced to be free if other publications adopt their format. Murdoch said the up front development was $30M, which has been written off and weekly expenses, before selling a single ad or subscription are $500K a week - which is nothing in that world.

ericvmazzone
Feb 2, 2011, 10:49 AM
I am intrigued by The Daily due to Apple's involvement in the development and the subscription model at 99 cents a week works if someone wants to go "paper free" and no longer have a paper delivered.

What I am hoping they do with it is that it not only be a national newspaper, but also serve as a platform for other newspapers to deliver content to. For instance, I live in Detroit and subscribe to the Detroit Free Press, however they simply do not have an iPad app, and despite having an e-subscription, it is almost impossible to get it in a readable format on the iPad.

It doesn't seem like it would be too hard for them to make a standard container (e.g. like an RSS feed) that papers could use to deliver their content to The Daily and you could have all your newspapers in one place.

Content and it has to be FREE for my interest. Why pay for something I can get from the CNN app for free.

Mitchrapp
Feb 2, 2011, 10:54 AM
Content and it has to be FREE for my interest. Why pay for something I can get from the CNN app for free.

If it's no better than CNN, then you're right. For them to succeed they need to be better than CNN and USA and all other iPad news apps. They're banking on that. I guess we'll see.

eye
Feb 2, 2011, 11:20 AM
I'd pay for local news. I don't dig on national news. Too disconnected from what's going on in my universe.

Mitchrapp
Feb 2, 2011, 11:40 AM
So far, not what I'm looking for. They need to get rid of Arts and Life and add a Finance section. And Opinion and Gossip sections, that's not news. Better off with WSJ.

They need to get a Washington Times app on here.

Night Spring
Feb 2, 2011, 12:06 PM
So far, not what I'm looking for. They need to get rid of Arts and Life and add a Finance section. And Opinion and Gossip sections, that's not news. Better off with WSJ.

They need to get a Washington Times app on here.

Arts&Life and Opinion are okay, if done correctly, but I do agree that having a Gossip section makes it feel like it's not about serious news. I'd also like a full tech/science section, not just a section about iOS apps.

The carousel view is nice, but so far, it keeps clashing.

All in all, the interface is nice (if it stops clashing every other minute), but the content isn't compelling enough to make me buy a subscription. But then as I said previously, there is plenty of news on the web for free. The newspaper industry really have a tough job trying to convince people to start paying again for somethhing they've been giving away for so long.

Mitchrapp
Feb 2, 2011, 12:18 PM
Arts&Life and Opinion are okay, if done correctly, but I do agree that having a Gossip section makes it feel like it's not about serious news. I'd also like a full tech/science section, not just a section about iOS apps.

The carousel view is nice, but so far, it keeps clashing.

All in all, the interface is nice (if it stops clashing every other minute), but the content isn't compelling enough to make me buy a subscription. But then as I said previously, there is plenty of news on the web for free. The newspaper industry really have a tough job trying to convince people to start paying again for somethhing they've been giving away for so long.

I agree with the Tech and Science section. Those would be a nice addition and a top story about a dog at a nightclub. What kind of crap is that? I was expecting more. We'll have to see after the two free weeks.

Sydde
Feb 2, 2011, 12:54 PM
Look up its listing on the App Store on your iPad: why is "Gamecenter" in the upper right?

spinedoc77
Feb 2, 2011, 01:04 PM
Content, content, content.

It's a good price and no doubt the interface will be good but I don't want to read a magazine which is flashy for the sake of being flashy and has little content. I want to read good journalism, see great photography, and I'm happy to pay for it.

It's not only content, it's also timeliness. By the time that newspaper hits my door I've already read that news 1-2 days earlier on an Internet blog. They better be cutting edge otherwise I don't see why I shouldn't just use one of the programs which gather all your newest blogs.

Honestly the only way I see the daily working is if they can get local stuff on there, your subscription should include global news as well as local news.

chriskzoo
Feb 2, 2011, 01:05 PM
I am a little surprised at the lack of a finance section, but with Murdoch also owning WSJ, they might not want to have overlap there. As far as the CNN and USA Today apps, I think they are looking to provide a more in-depth analysis (time will tell if they do) of the major stories going on versus the "Headline Journalism" that CNN and USA Today do.

In my mind I want to liken it to a daily Time Magazine, but I honestly haven't looked at Time is years, so I don't know what they are doing with it now.

GeorgeN111
Feb 2, 2011, 02:14 PM
I just checked on iTunes and found out that they do not have this app currently in the UK. I do not have an iPad i will be purchasing one once the second Generation is released. I just hope that a UK version will be released by the time the new iPad is released. This is certainly something which looks interesting and by looking at a couple of iPad videos the interface imo looks very nice and intuitive.

tek210
Feb 2, 2011, 02:18 PM
Does anyone know if content will be accessible when disconnected? I was looking at getting the wifi only version and I am wondering if I would be able to scroll thru the content when not connected. Obviously pulling down new content is out, am hoping I can sync before I leave the house and read when I am out and about.

Zcott
Feb 2, 2011, 02:28 PM
Another disappointed user here that it hasn't launched in the UK. Even if it does have a US-focus, it'd be nice to at least have a poke around.

However, the main thing is that the iTunes Store now allows for subscriptions, which is a great step for all magazines and newspapers. As a UK user, I'm particularly looking forward to the Guardian's iPad app, which is rumoured to have a subscription fee.

EazyWeazy3
Feb 2, 2011, 02:46 PM
Not too happy here.

Runs really slow. Quit on me once already.

Anyone else?

SteveAbootman
Feb 2, 2011, 03:31 PM
Count me in as someone who will enjoy it for 2 weeks, and then make a determination. As great as social media is, it's forced people into making snap judgments with little or no exposure or time spent with the product.

It has some bugs, and I'm hopeful they will release an update soon that cleans them up. The content so far seems exceptional for 14 cents a day. Everyone crying out that the news is free online (cnn.com for example) misses the point of a dedicated app that has the potential to deliver a richer experience than HTML and a video can provide on a website.

We'll see in 2 weeks if this is worth a buck a week, but i am excited about the potential.

adnoh
Feb 2, 2011, 03:37 PM
Price tag of big fat 0.

Sydde
Feb 2, 2011, 03:56 PM
Follow this link to the Daily (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-daily/id411516732?mt=8) with your iPad, to the App Store and tell me why, under "Free", there is a Game Center icon?

wildcardd
Feb 2, 2011, 04:18 PM
Look up its listing on the App Store on your iPad: why is "Gamecenter" in the upper right?

For the Sudoku and Crossword puzzles in the issue.

PeterQVenkman
Feb 2, 2011, 04:28 PM
What's the reason to get this thing if you have internet access?

jms969
Feb 2, 2011, 04:42 PM
I will never buy anything from News Corp or Rupert Murdock... :D

WLS
Feb 2, 2011, 04:49 PM

me neither. if that old Nazi sets the news slant like he does with Faux News there is nothing worth reading. Maybe if there were a page two girl like they do in the UK...

rdowns
Feb 2, 2011, 04:51 PM
me neither. if that old Nazi sets the news slant like he does with Faux News there is nothing worth reading. Maybe if there were a page two girl like they do in the UK...

Journalistically speaking, it's page 3. :D

WLS
Feb 2, 2011, 04:56 PM
Journalistically speaking, it's page 3. :D

Right, but with the iPad we can do better. Lets make it page 2 :D

Stealthipad
Feb 2, 2011, 04:58 PM
Signed up for The Daily today and love it. Like others I will see after the 2 week free trial before I subscribe, but can not imagine me not doing so.

I hope this is the first of many publications at this price. At about $50 per year, it will be a winner and I predict it great success!

Long live Murdock:p

Aatos.1
Feb 2, 2011, 05:09 PM

me neither. if that old Nazi sets the news slant like he does with Faux News there is nothing worth reading.

That makes three of us. I'm not touching the daily.

But let's not forget it was The Master of Smoke and Mirrors, Deception and Greed, Stevie Jobs that chose AT&T for the iPhone. Now he jumps in bed with Murdock just for the money.

What a Odd Bird Jobs has turned out to be. Wealth is the only thing that excites him, pretty pathetic. Everything he says is either a scripted sales pitch, or condescending remarks to his minions.

From A Buick 8
Feb 2, 2011, 05:17 PM

So what news outlet do you prefer

WLS
Feb 2, 2011, 05:46 PM
I downloaded it. I recommend doing so and seeing how a digital magazine should be done. It is very impressive if light on news analysis. All it needs is a good page 3 girl every week and it probably would be successful. I used to read Newsweek but that is dying. It actually has a Newsweek feel to it..

hcho3
Feb 2, 2011, 05:52 PM
It's laggy. Disappointed. I am going to try for few more days, but I don't think I will pay for this. It needs more optimization.

WLS
Feb 2, 2011, 06:08 PM
It's laggy. Disappointed. I am going to try for few more days, but I don't think I will pay for this. It needs more optimization.

Nothing that won't be fixed by an iPad2. I like the format and would like to see more magazines like this.

Zcott
Feb 2, 2011, 06:16 PM
Lots of potential here. The content is pretty good - a wide range of articles but nothing too heavy. The interface is indeed slow but no doubt that'll improve with iPad 2. Much better than the Wired app which appears to be flashy for the sake of being flashy; this app concentrates more on the content than the displaying of content.

Sydde
Feb 2, 2011, 07:22 PM
As I think on it, this format becoming popular could be problematic.

"I read this interesting story on this important subject"

"Got a link?"

"Oh, it was in The Daily"

Is this what we want? Every quote a potential IPR issue? No linky cites?

zenio
Feb 2, 2011, 07:55 PM
I just sold my original iPad to get ready for the iPad 2, I will buy one upon release.

The Daily is not something I am interested in. I get all the news I want for free.

Sydde
Feb 2, 2011, 08:16 PM
...it makes Fox News, well fair and balanced...

All the fairness and balance is of no value if what is being presented is riddled with inaccuracies, distortions and fear-mongering. I choose to keep my Newscorp content evenly spread over the alfalfa.

Mitchrapp
Feb 2, 2011, 08:45 PM
All the fairness and balance is of no value if what is being presented is riddled with inaccuracies, distortions and fear-mongering. I choose to keep my Newscorp content evenly spread over the alfalfa.

Ah, you're one of those.

Sydde
Feb 2, 2011, 10:48 PM
Ah, you're one of those.

Yes, one of those for whom "the daily" refers (rather appropriately) to what I do before I shower and shave.

jaw04005
Feb 2, 2011, 11:30 PM
1. Content - For some reason, I couldn't find the business section and I was expecting WSJ-level coverage of the business sector.
2. Local Content - would be great if they would partner with local publications and syndicate local content (at least for the major markets)
3. Kindle-style downloading (it appears every morning and updates throughout the day on its own. I don't have to manually download updates.)
4. The introductory price is fine ($39.99 per year, $0.99 per week) and should remain the permanent price.

What it needs the most, currently, is an App that doesn't crash, has an actual search feature and a navigation method that's not slow as molasses.

I was underwhelmed by the presentation to say the least. It didn't strike me as anything new and it looks like all the others (they're trying to shoehorn the style of a newspaper or news magazine into an application).

gatearray
Feb 2, 2011, 11:39 PM

What a Odd Bird Jobs has turned out to be. Wealth is the only thing that excites him, pretty pathetic. Everything he says is either a scripted sales pitch, or condescending remarks to his minions.

WTF are you talking about? Talk about smoke and mirrors... You have such confidence for not knowing anything about what "excites" a person whom you've never met, which is "pretty pathetic" in my opinion.

What have YOU done?

Ashka
Feb 3, 2011, 02:04 AM
What will it need to get me on board?
mmmm. availability would be a good start.

The Daily is NOT available in New Zealand's iTunes store.

captjoe06
Feb 3, 2011, 04:04 AM
I'm not sure why I'd pay for national news when there are already a ton of competent national news sources online.

If my local newspaper was the only provider of hyperlocal news I couldn't get anywhere else I might pay for that but don't see the need to pay for something that I can get for free anywhere else.

Using Flipboard and Google reader one can customize their own "news" experience. Set up your Google reader account with all the feeds you want to follow and boom, youre done.

Mitchrapp
Feb 3, 2011, 05:42 AM
Yes, one of those for whom "the daily" refers (rather appropriately) to what I do before I shower and shave.

The daily blows. So that has no point on me. Has Fox News done something to the apple users with all this hatred. More people watch them than anyone else, must be a reason.

And regardless what side you point too, we need the Fox News and Rush Limbaugh's of the world just to counter a little bit of the all left media. We need the Washington Times to offset the NYTimes or Washington Post.

Don't hate man, just turn the channel ;).

THFourteen
Feb 3, 2011, 07:58 AM
Hmmmm lets see what will it take to get me onboard with “The Daily”.

1) it’ll have to become available outside the US
2) it’ll have to contain some non-us news. No offence but to me, football will always remain a game played with the FOOT not the hands.

Dagless
Feb 3, 2011, 08:07 AM
That makes three of us. I'm not touching the daily.

But let's not forget it was The Master of Smoke and Mirrors, Deception and Greed, Stevie Jobs that chose AT&T for the iPhone. Now he jumps in bed with Murdock just for the money.

Fourthed.

Can't believe they (Fox News) don't know where Egypt is. That kind of mistake is unforgivable, that's basic geography!

I'll stick with high quality, free BBC News.

wolfpackfan
Feb 3, 2011, 09:27 AM
I'm disappointed in The Daily so far. It seems very slow. Every time I open it, it says a new copy is available and starts to download again. Takes a while to start up. Plus I was hoping it would automatically download the latest copy each morning without me having to open the app. What I did this morning was I started the app and then took my shower, so it was ready to read while I ate breakfast. Not sure I will keep it when the initial two weeks is up. I do like the format though I wish there was a quick button to pull up the current issues's TOC. I guess overall I like Flipboard better and it's content is free and I can customize the content I want.

chriskzoo
Feb 3, 2011, 09:48 AM
I'm disappointed in The Daily so far. It seems very slow. Every time I open it, it says a new copy is available and starts to download again. Takes a while to start up. Plus I was hoping it would automatically download the latest copy each morning without me having to open the app. What I did this morning was I started the app and then took my shower, so it was ready to read while I ate breakfast. Not sure I will keep it when the initial two weeks is up. I do like the format though I wish there was a quick button to pull up the current issues's TOC. I guess overall I like Flipboard better and it's content is free and I can customize the content I want.

This is kind of the direction I am leaning as well. Another issue I have is the "clipping feature" - it only clips the page you are reading and not the entire story. So for a 3 page story you need to clip all 3 pages.

I do like the format and some of the features like the 360 pictures and embedded video and, although I'm a FlipBoard fan, this is a much more unified experience. Still needs work, but not a bad start.

The cost of this is so cheap ($500K a week) that I think it will eventually just go free and maybe they will license their format to other media outlets.

jcb19
Feb 3, 2011, 10:21 AM
Does anyone know if content will be accessible when disconnected? I was looking at getting the wifi only version and I am wondering if I would be able to scroll thru the content when not connected. Obviously pulling down new content is out, am hoping I can sync before I leave the house and read when I am out and about.

WiFi must be connected. . . .

Night Spring
Feb 3, 2011, 10:41 AM
Fourthed.

Can't believe they (Fox News) don't know where Egypt is. That kind of mistake is unforgivable, that's basic geography!

I'll stick with high quality, free BBC News.

Huh? Hadn't heard about that. When/where did they make this mistake?

rdowns
Feb 3, 2011, 10:42 AM
Huh? Hadn't heard about that. When/where did they make this mistake?

Months ago.

TallManNY
Feb 3, 2011, 10:43 AM
I like having news choices downloaded for my subway ride and the cost at $40 per year is nearly meaningless, so I'm sold. But so far I'm not impressed by the opinion pieces. They seem a little young. Kind of like I'm reading the work of an earnest guy right out of college.

The USA News comparisons seem pretty accurate as well. I think there is an intentional desire not to compete with the WSJ, which is presumably more profitable at $18 per month. So the Daily is going much more low brow.

By the way, I also subscribe to the WSJ and get my free downloads of the New York Times. Of the three, I like the NYT the best. It is truly bizarre that that is the one business that I don't actually pay for. I know NYT is going to start charging, and that gives me some hope that it will still be around in 10 years. But for now, Murdoch will get my money while the NYT gets my sincere "Thanks."

sim667
Feb 3, 2011, 10:44 AM
My main issue with the daily is its murdochs doing....

Not on my ipad, no thanks!

gbandy
Feb 3, 2011, 10:56 AM

Hat's off! Great line. I'll probably be stealing it. And I'm with you on this... wish a REAL news organization would have been the first out of the gate with this technology.

gloss
Feb 3, 2011, 11:31 AM
Frogstar World B.

Even I find it pretty horrifying, and I'm one of the most evil people on it.

Oh yes, quite staggeringly nasty.

Sydde
Feb 3, 2011, 12:26 PM
Even I find it pretty horrifying, and I'm one of the most evil people on it.

Oh yes, quite staggeringly nasty.

Sorry, I'm just here for the cupcake and the revolutionary new kind of paperclip.

gloss
Feb 3, 2011, 12:49 PM
Sorry, I'm just here for the cupcake and the revolutionary new kind of paperclip.

Is that a piece of fairy cake? Mm.

wolfpackfan
Feb 3, 2011, 01:29 PM
I have deleted The Daily app. Crashed every time I tried to start it. Very buggy.

Stealthipad
Feb 3, 2011, 02:09 PM
I have deleted The Daily app. Crashed every time I tried to start it. Very buggy.

Something wrong with your iPad as it has not crashed a single time on the two iPads I have used it on.

MaxPower49
Feb 3, 2011, 02:25 PM
So, we are only 2 days in now, but are you planning to subscribe to the daily? Why or why not?

I’m still considering it, but I probably won’t. I had very high hopes for this app after all of the pre-release hype, but I haven’t been all that impressed so far. Like others, I’ve had problems with it being very laggy and it has crashed several times. Hopefully those things will be a non-issue on the iPad2. I also hate the way it forces me to rotate the iPad back and forth to go between stories and pictures. I like to keep mine locked in landscape for everything. I don’t like the way it just forces me to download the recent issue and nothing else is available offline.

The worst part for me though is the content… too much gossip, fluff, and “light” news for my taste. I would like to see more business/finance news, science/tech news, local news, and NCAA sports teams. The news also seems outdated compared to the web or other apps which are updated continuously throughout the day. This is supposed to be a print newspaper replacement, but with one issue daily it is always going to be yesterdays news.

Just my opinion. I will continue reading for two weeks, just hoping for some improvement.

darngooddesign
Feb 3, 2011, 02:34 PM
For it not to be the equivalent of Fox News.

Jakeblu
Feb 3, 2011, 02:35 PM
I'm assuming you've never bought a book published by HarperCollins or seen any film distributed by 20th Century Fox or any of its subsidiaries?

Please note the 'knowingly' in my original post.

My reasons for not 'knowingly' profiting Murdoch are political & ethical. For those same reasons i will not buy Israeli goods or cadbury's products my boycott is not limited to the two examples and the list is considerably too long to show here.

I am happy to pay for quality journalism again note journalism, news is free on the Internet and long may it be so but quality writing is a treat, one which I am prepared to pay for.

Mitchrapp
Feb 3, 2011, 03:33 PM
It's hardly a News paper. It's certainly not what I was expecting or maybe I was, the content is lacking big time.

Zcott
Feb 3, 2011, 03:47 PM
It's hardly a News paper. It's certainly not what I was expecting or maybe I was, the content is lacking big time.

To me it seems like more of a magazine which comes out daily as opposed to a content-heavy newspaper.

DVDxR
Feb 3, 2011, 08:51 PM
As I think on it, this format becoming popular could be problematic.

"I read this interesting story on this important subject"

"Got a link?"

"Oh, it was in The Daily"

Is this what we want? Every quote a potential IPR issue? No linky cites?

You can Facebook/tweet/email links for any article:

I want to share the web version of an article from The Daily, the tablet-based original news publication. http://bit.ly/hqq51Q

Everyone wins

If immigration hurts American workers, native Californians should be hurting bad. California has…

For the full experience, download The Daily from the App Store.

DVDxR
Feb 3, 2011, 08:59 PM

It feels more like a daily version of The Week. I agree the content is way to light.

...and am I the only one that hasn't had this program crash?

Alpha Lima
Feb 3, 2011, 09:53 PM
Im liking it myself, although it is pretty crashy when multimedia is around. But i would like to see some stories that arnt about Egypt. Its important and all, but it seems most of the issues so far are mostly Egypt.

EazyWeazy3
Feb 4, 2011, 02:24 AM
This app has already been deleted from my iPad.

Didn't like it one bit.

Q-Dog
Feb 4, 2011, 11:03 AM
If I pay to use the service, I don't want ads ... period.

I just read through the privacy policy and terms of service, and it looks like I am just giving them permission to spam me, and/or sell my info to 3rd parties, so strike two.

Content was weak. Lots of flash but no substance. Strike three.

I have the BBC app, NPR app, and a few other news apps, but find them all a bit restrictive. I guess I still prefer to hunt for the news that interests me, from as many different sources as possible.

Scarpad
Feb 4, 2011, 11:58 AM

Murdoch and News Corp to have no involvement.

ucfgrad93
Feb 4, 2011, 12:31 PM
This app has already been deleted from my iPad.

Didn't like it one bit.

What didn't you like about it?

Boulderer2001
Feb 4, 2011, 03:03 PM
So far I like the app. I wish it had more content. I think this is just the start of hopefully more to come news apps like this. It would be nice to see a NYT, Huffington Post or Wall Street app built around this model. This is where print media will eventually be in the future. So for the first one not too bad.

GoCubsGo
Feb 10, 2011, 12:02 PM
What didn't you like about it?

Not that you asked me but app wise, it is laggy and it crashes frequently. It may not be a full crash but upon launch it shows the splash page then the screen goes black. If I wait it will crash, I usually close then relaunch.

I couldn't care less who produced it, if it is flashy but laggy it is useless to me. Overall it seems as though they considered form over function, it is not how I wish to have my news delivered. I wish it were better, I quite like the $40 annual subscription price.

wolfpackfan
Feb 10, 2011, 12:16 PM
I really wanted to like The Daily and have installed it and uninstalled it numerous times. But in it's current state it just isn't good enough to pay for. I think my biggest complaint is every time you start the app, it reloads the current edition, which takes a long time. I would much prefer it to just load once in the morning and that's it. Plus it is very slow in general. I really like the concept, but it's execution is just too poor at this time to pay for a subscription.

DiamondMac
Feb 10, 2011, 12:30 PM
App seems a bit too fat for me and slow

I enjoy the quick aggregate apps that give me a variety quickly. FluentNews is still my king and I have no issue going premium for them

tigres
Feb 10, 2011, 12:32 PM
Installed it on day 1.
Deleted on day 3.

Reinstalled the other day.
Deleted again this am.

Too complex and scattered. Buggy as hell, slow slow slow.
It is not easy to use, find, or scour for your interest quickly.

I like USA today personally, easy, quick, and it's all there for basic needs. BBC news is also a nice app to read, especially for world events.

alex2792
Feb 10, 2011, 01:01 PM
Apple would have to block the internet on the iPad or convince every news outlet to change their websites to flash only so that iOS users can't access them. Oh, and ban all RSS readers from the app store while they're at it so that I can't read the same news without the fascist right wing slant for free :D

Gryzor
Feb 10, 2011, 01:05 PM
What will it need? It will need to be FREE, that's what, just like all the other news, reviews, and videos I can view anywhere else on the internet.

Sydde
Feb 10, 2011, 01:18 PM
Apple would have to block the internet on the iPad or convince every news outlet to change their websites to flash only so that iOS users can't access them. Oh, and ban all RSS readers from the app store while they're at it so that I can't read the same news without the fascist right wing slant for free :D

IOW, alienate three quarters of their customer base?

ucfgrad93
Feb 10, 2011, 02:48 PM
Not that you asked me but app wise, it is laggy and it crashes frequently. It may not be a full crash but upon launch it shows the splash page then the screen goes black. If I wait it will crash, I usually close then relaunch.

I couldn't care less who produced it, if it is flashy but laggy it is useless to me. Overall it seems as though they considered form over function, it is not how I wish to have my news delivered. I wish it were better, I quite like the $40 annual subscription price.

Thank for sharing. There have been widespread reports of crashing and lagginess(?). I would assume that they will get that fixed in future updates, but they should have worked this out before they released it. I have also read many reports of the news not being in depth enough, what do you think?

I think they got the pricing right. $.99/week or $40/year seems reasonable to me.

rdowns
Feb 10, 2011, 03:43 PM
Thank for sharing. There have been widespread reports of crashing and lagginess(?). I would assume that they will get that fixed in future updates, but they should have worked this out before they released it. I have also read many reports of the news not being in depth enough, what do you think?

I think they got the pricing right. $.99/week or $40/year seems reasonable to me.

I agree with jessica.. I also think it's news lite. More like Time or Newsweek than a daily newspaper. It's no longer on my iPad. No finance/business news but a gossip section. No thanks.

deeddawg
Feb 10, 2011, 03:54 PM
I agree with jessica.. I also think it's news lite. More like Time or Newsweek than a daily newspaper. It's no longer on my iPad. No finance/business news but a gossip section. No thanks.

I'm going to give it a little bit longer but I'm probably going to drop it.

Sure it's a neat format, but the content quality doesn't hold a candle to The Economist.

Silock
Feb 10, 2011, 04:37 PM
The update from last night made it SO much better.

I haven't had it crash on me since the update, and the scrolling performance is WAY better.

I still hate the fact that every time you leave the app, it takes you all the way back to the front page instead of where you left off browsing it.

northy124
Feb 11, 2011, 01:17 PM
I am not sure it is worth it right now, I like the Arts part and that is it, the rest is crud :( WSJ, NYT or FT for me thank you :)

Sydde
Feb 11, 2011, 03:21 PM
From the little I have seen of the Daily, it looks like the UI is banking on 3D-ish eye candy that really adds nothing to the concept of efficient news reading. The BBC news app and HuffPo app have that nice, simple slide thing that works really well. When I looked at the Honeycomb preview, that YouTube thumbnail cylinder made my inner ear hurt. Why bother with something that has a cute, sexy UI that adds nothing to the experience?

zedsdead
Feb 11, 2011, 04:02 PM
It's a great app, but it still needs a lot of work.

I would like a Business section, better performance, and better storage of downloaded issues so it doesn't always refresh.

vrDrew
Feb 12, 2011, 06:44 AM
Still haven't made up my mind.

I've found the App to be very unstable. I quite seriously cannot remember ANY iPad app giving as many problems as The Daily: It takes forever to load, and at least half the time it crashes before you get past the splash screen. If you are lucky enough to make it into the App, it frequently seems to freeze or stutter.

Apparently there was an update in the last day that fixes some of the problems. I'll withhold judgement till then.

News wise: Like others, I agree its a bit short on actual "news" - no business section, etc. and too much Hollywood fluff. On the plus side there are some well-executed bits: like the celebs favorite Apps, the crossword and sudoku, etc.

Note: I just downloaded and installed the latest update: Same problem. It crashes while loading. Simply unacceptable!

Edit #2: It helps to first delete the existing App, and then restart the iPad, and then reinstall the latest version. It seems much more stable now. This is an improvement. But quite frankly, one of the things I generally LIKE about the iPad is NOT having to do things like this to get programs to work.

HelixOmnimedia
Feb 12, 2011, 08:03 AM
An International version.

thekb
Feb 13, 2011, 01:21 PM
Please note the 'knowingly' in my original post.

My reasons for not 'knowingly' profiting Murdoch are political & ethical. For those same reasons i will not buy Israeli goods or cadbury's products my boycott is not limited to the two examples and the list is considerably too long to show here.

OK, so now that you KNOW what other content is affiliated with Murdoch, will you no longer be watching the Simpsons, Star Wars, Avatar ... etc?

Mitchrapp
Feb 14, 2011, 03:48 AM
Every time I think of it I curse at The Daily. What hogwash. Not any better than Hollywood insider. No Finance section, no Business section, no Technical or Science? I can see why it's only .99c a week.

miamijim
Feb 14, 2011, 04:16 AM
It needs a Page 3 with airbrushed Norks.....

Saladinos
Feb 14, 2011, 04:36 PM
Content is totally disinteresting to me.

If The Economist did this, I'd be right on board.

deeddawg
Feb 14, 2011, 09:18 PM
If The Economist did this, I'd be right on board.

Economist's ipad app isn't as slick and whizbang as The Daily, but it is pretty good. I suggest you check it out if you haven't.

if you have, I'm curious how you'd recommend they improve. (I've just started using it, so haven't gotten real deep into it)

JD92
Feb 15, 2011, 04:03 PM
For me it would have to be by The Guardian instead of News Corp.