PDA

View Full Version : GET RID OF TALKING ADDS!

DVW86
Feb 5, 2005, 12:05 PM
Please do not put adds on this site that have sound with them. It is very annoying.

Mechcozmo
Feb 5, 2005, 01:26 PM
Please do not put adds on this site that have sound with them. It is very annoying.

What ads do that? I haven't heard any...

killuminati
Feb 5, 2005, 01:33 PM
?????

talking adds? I think you are just hearing things, theres nothing on this site... :confused:

virividox
Feb 5, 2005, 01:51 PM
there used to be a couple months ago or even further back but i havent noticed any for a long time!!!

Darwin
Feb 5, 2005, 01:53 PM
I too have to agree that there are no talking adds on this site

Haven't heard from Tina in a long time :D

DVW86
Feb 5, 2005, 02:34 PM
I just heard a Vonage talking add this morning. Of course my volume was turned up from listening to music last night. :mad:

Blue Velvet
Feb 5, 2005, 02:57 PM
But they were a great band!
What's the matter with you -- got 'Fear of Music'?

:)

On topic: Have never heard a talking ad anywhere on this site. Is this a US thing perhaps? I noticed that some of the banner ads were specifically UK based -- maybe that's a bit of IP trickery so targeted audiences see specific ads...

arn
Feb 5, 2005, 04:07 PM
If you run across a talking or any audio ad, please post a screenshot of the ad and the url it takes you to.

I try to filter them out... but sometimes one sneaks through

arn

DVW86
Feb 5, 2005, 08:19 PM
If you run across a talking or any audio ad, please post a screenshot of the ad and the url it takes you to.

I try to filter them out... but sometimes one sneaks through

arn
Thanks! I will do.

rtdgoldfish
Feb 6, 2005, 11:10 AM
Haven't seen a talking ad in a while on here. The other ads I think are dumb are the Google ones that take you to those free Apple product sites. I've seen several free Mac Mini or iPod ads on this site. Why can't Google put something worthwhile in their adspace??

Mechcozmo
Feb 6, 2005, 10:31 PM
Haven't seen a talking ad in a while on here. The other ads I think are dumb are the Google ones that take you to those free Apple product sites. I've seen several free Mac Mini or iPod ads on this site. Why can't Google put something worthwhile in their adspace??

'Cause its the way Google's system works. Just how it is.

rdowns
Feb 7, 2005, 04:54 AM

Perhaps you meant to say worthwhile to "me".

Look, ads suck but they pay for the sites we visit. I don't see where you've contributed to the site. Are you willing to pay for site access and no ads? If not, stop complaining.

rtdgoldfish
Feb 7, 2005, 12:13 PM
Perhaps you meant to say worthwhile to "me".

Look, ads suck but they pay for the sites we visit. I don't see where you've contributed to the site. Are you willing to pay for site access and no ads? If not, stop complaining.

Show me how to contribute to the site and I will be more than willing to. I wasn't complaining about the ads being there, I know that hosting a page like this costs a lot of money and it is paid for with ads. I was just noting that links like these are what cause users to get banned from the forums yet they are frequently shown on the main page from Google.

moss84
Feb 7, 2005, 05:37 PM
Show me how to contribute to the site and I will be more than willing to. I wasn't complaining about the ads being there, I know that hosting a page like this costs a lot of money and it is paid for with ads. I was just noting that links like these are what cause users to get banned from the forums yet they are frequently shown on the main page from Google.
From http://www.macrumors.com/site.php?mode=about :

Contributions

Interested users may contribute $20/year for an Ad-free Front Page. These users will be receive access to a restricted version of the MacRumors.com site which eliminates advertising banners. This system is presently under revision, with new features planned for the near future. If you are presently interested, please contact contributor@macrumors.com.

thecow
Feb 8, 2005, 05:54 PM
cough[adblockingsoftware]cough

arn
Feb 8, 2005, 10:07 PM
cough[adblockingsoftware]cough

I would ask individuals to not block ads. A small request.

arn