PDA

View Full Version : spell check

jdawg4324
Feb 5, 2005, 02:26 PM
Is there a way to spell check my posts. spelling is not one of my best points so a spell check would be really great. :eek: :rolleyes:

edesignuk
Feb 5, 2005, 02:28 PM
Use Safari, and go Edit > Spelling > Check Spelling as You Type.

daveL
Feb 5, 2005, 02:29 PM
Yes. In the post compose window (the one I'm typing in right now) control-click (or right click) in the text window and select Spelling->Check Spelling as You Type. That's it. It's a sticky setting; you only have to do it once.

Blue Velvet
Feb 5, 2005, 02:30 PM
If you hold down the Control key and click on a suspect word as you're typing it will give you the correct spelling for the word and correct it.

Try it and see. Very handy...

jdawg4324
Feb 5, 2005, 02:35 PM
Does it work for IE too. I know I know safari is better just never could make to switch over to it. is there a way with IE or do i have to start using safari?

edesignuk
Feb 5, 2005, 02:38 PM
First off. WTF are you doing using IE, are you actually clinically insane? This is not the normal Mac bashing Microsoft thing, but IE for Mac is seriously a POS, stop using it now.

And no, it doesn't for for IE. So get using Safari!!!

jdawg4324
Feb 5, 2005, 02:44 PM
how is it I knew I was going to get that response. yeah I have been telling my self the same thing for over a year now. I guess I will start using safari. is there a easy way to move all my favorites in IE over to safari.

edesignuk
Feb 5, 2005, 02:47 PM
Sure is :)

Make sure Safari is closed. Open up the Terminal (Applications > Utilities) and put this in there:
defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1
Hit enter, and open safari, you should now have a "Debug" menu, in there is an import IE bookmarks option.

Enjoy Safari.

jdawg4324
Feb 5, 2005, 02:57 PM
sounds good but I don's see the code you want my to paste in their.

jdawg4324
Feb 5, 2005, 02:59 PM
wait its allowing me to copy it I think I got it "E" lets see if it works.

jdawg4324
Feb 5, 2005, 03:06 PM
E I dont know if I got the code or not this is what I entered " defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1" I copied and then pasted it there and hit enter nothing happend I closed terminal and opened safari I looked in the preferences and everying but nothing seems diffferent. Where did I go wrong?

jdawg4324
Feb 5, 2005, 03:08 PM
I see it now E your the best thanks I was just not looking for it hard enough it was right under my nose.

edesignuk
Feb 5, 2005, 03:09 PM
This is what you're looking for.

edit: never mind, you've found it.

jdawg4324
Feb 5, 2005, 04:20 PM
Well I did it E this is my first post using safari. :D

Wes
Feb 5, 2005, 07:03 PM
jdawg4324, congrats on getting it working.

Mods might not be too happy with your unprecedented quadruple post.

You can use the 'edit' feature next time :).

jdawg4324
Feb 5, 2005, 08:55 PM
jdawg4324, congrats on getting it working.

Mods might not be too happy with your unprecedented quadruple post.

You can use the 'edit' feature next time :).

I guess I could have used the edit button. LOL as you can see I am still a newbie on the forums. I have read news on this site for years and have owned mac's for years. Now it looks like I am becoming very addicted. the more posts I do the more I will learn and maybe just maybe next time I will use the edit button so I wont have "quadruple post" do the mod's really get mad at people who post more then once in a row?

Wes
Feb 6, 2005, 03:18 AM
Do the mod's really get mad at people who post more then once in a row?

Not mad. It is just frowned upon.

munkle
Feb 6, 2005, 07:04 AM
This is what you're looking for.

edit: never mind, you've found it.

The general piracy tab cracks me up everytime! :D

edesignuk
Feb 6, 2005, 07:06 AM
The general piracy tab cracks me up everytime! :D
Well you know, there's no point in beating around the bush with these things...:D :eek:

munkle
Feb 6, 2005, 07:12 AM
Well you know, there's no point in beating around the bush with these things...:D :eek:

Priceless... :D

russed
Feb 6, 2005, 07:26 AM

well atleast you are honest about it! unlike those people who need to help friends!

on another note, i must say im not so keen on your Kiera picture this week. she is damn fine and that pic doesnt do her justice!

virividox
Feb 6, 2005, 07:29 AM
care to share whats in the general piracy tab :)

edesignuk
Feb 6, 2005, 07:32 AM
care to share whats in the general piracy tab :)
No :p

Mudbug
Feb 6, 2005, 09:44 AM
do the mod's really get mad at people who post more then once in a row?

we won't kill you this time, but try and edit in the future.
thanks