PDA

View Full Version : Car for a Friend

EJBasile
Feb 5, 2005, 03:14 PM
Hey everyone,

I have a friend (no not one of those child to parent talks "i have this friend...") who just got laid off from his engineering job in CT. He got a new job in Wocester, MA (or how ever you spell it) and he has to commute there now from CT which is about 75 miles. He does not want to move because he has a kid in her High School so he and his wife want there girl to finish high school in CT.

Anyways to make his 150 mile daily round trip commute he obviously will not drive his suberban. What car should he get. He'll probably buy used because the car won't last too long anways after driving that much and does not want to pay for the depreciation. Hes over 6ft tall so he likes he wants a midsized car.

His wife has a passat which he is not confortable so that.
I was thinking
- Honda Accord V6
- Toyota Camery
- Nissan Maxima
- No american cars :) -A mechanic already told him a Japense car would last longer

For some more luxery
-Infiniti I35 or G35
-Acura TL or TSX

Hes looking to spend around $20,000 and wants less than 50k miles on the car.

Thanks

Abstract
Feb 5, 2005, 04:11 PM
I'd think about getting a Nissan Altima rather than a Maxima. That way, you can buy newer. They're also basically the same size ---- big!! Heck, they're arguably the same car with different engines. :p Quality is good in both. My 6'6" friend drives a Maxima, and he's cool with it.

Counterfit
Feb 5, 2005, 05:16 PM
Well, I suggest something EFFICIENT foremost, as 150+ miles per day is going to cost you some serious $$ (especially here in New England, where gas isn't exactly expensive, but it's almost $2/gal about now).

Oh, it's Worcester ;) (whuh-ster, not war-ches-ter)

saabmp3
Feb 5, 2005, 05:46 PM
I agree, look for something with good gas milage. It's a commuter car, not a luxury fun car. Get what I'm saying? I know some rich mofo's at work (engineers) who drive geo's daily. Of course they have BMW's, Merc's, etc at home for the weekend.

BEN

EJBasile
Feb 5, 2005, 07:10 PM
He wants something reliable and easy to fix so that rules out hybrids

iGary
Feb 5, 2005, 07:18 PM
I have an 01' Civic 4-door EX (all the goodies) that gets upwards of 40 freaking MPG on the highway.

Pleanty roomy, maybe not as luxurious as they want...

If mileage isn't an issue, the Accord is a nice car.

I've had three Honda's in 15 years. Put well in excess of 150,000 miles on all of them. :eek:

solvs
Feb 6, 2005, 12:41 AM
I'd suggest a Civic. For that price, he could buy new and they still get over 30-something miles a gallon.

Chip NoVaMac
Feb 6, 2005, 02:08 AM
A thought... maybe he should consider a room to rent in MA and drive to MA on Monday and back to CT on Friday. Less wear and tear on a car and the body.

5300cs
Feb 6, 2005, 04:24 AM
Oh, it's Worcester ;) (whuh-ster, not war-ches-ter)

It's wuh-STA, you don't pronounce the R at the end. You leave it for the word 'Cuba' which is pronounced 'Cuber' (like JFK said.)

:D

iGary
Feb 6, 2005, 05:37 AM
I have a friend from Maahblehead (Marblehead), and she "mispronounced" EVERYTHING.

Her husbanc Arthur = Atha.

Our friend Linda = Linder.

Varnish = Vaahnish.

Platform
Feb 6, 2005, 05:47 AM
What about the
BMW 5 series
Volvo S60/V70
Merc E Class

CorvusCamenarum
Feb 6, 2005, 06:10 AM
I have a friend from Maahblehead (Marblehead), and she "mispronounced" EVERYTHING.

Her husbanc Arthur = Atha.

Our friend Linda = Linder.

Varnish = Vaahnish.

Doesn't the state of Massachusetts have a restraining order against the letter R? I dated a girl from up there once...I swear she was absent the day in kindergarten when they got to R in the alphabet or something, it just didn't exist for her. Then again, I'm from the South, where they barely teach most folks to read at all...

atari1356
Feb 6, 2005, 09:28 AM
Subaru Forester or Outback. They're great cars and very reliable... 4 wheel drive which is nice during the rough winter months.

Chip NoVaMac
Feb 6, 2005, 09:48 AM
Subaru Forester or Outback. They're great cars and very reliable... 4 wheel drive which is nice during the rough winter months.

Or add to that the Subaru Baja is pick-up utility would be helpful.

puckhead193
Feb 6, 2005, 10:32 PM
I think a honda hybrid or the prius, only because he's going to drive alot and he would save $$ on gas :)

Counterfit
Feb 7, 2005, 12:21 AM
It's wuh-STA, you don't pronounce the R at the end. You leave it for the word 'Cuba' which is pronounced 'Cuber' (like JFK said.)

:D I kept the r in for those who aren't from the area ;) Also, it's WUHS-ta. Note the emphasis being on the first syllable.

I think I'd recommend the Accord Hybrid specifically. It has more room than either the Civic or Prius, it's not as ugly as the Prius (I think the Civic looks the best of the three), and I've heard that the Prius doesn't track well at highway speeds due in part to its really narrow tires.

Mechcozmo
Feb 7, 2005, 01:05 AM
Do the price of buying a car, the gas for IT, and the depreciation. It may be cheaper to use the SUV.

$15,000 for car
after 150+ miles a day for a while
$10,000 or less

Are you really going to save $5,000 in gasoline? And add in the SUV's gas, too. That counts against buying a new car.

Just something to think about....

cyanide
Feb 7, 2005, 01:43 AM
i know a girl that lives in wusstah and um, well.. look what i can do *yippy*

Mechcozmo
Feb 7, 2005, 02:42 PM
i know a girl that lives in wusstah and um, well.. look what i can do *yippy*

:confused: :confused: :confused: