PDA

View Full Version : Powermac g5 vs Macbook?

lucasofcontempt
Feb 2, 2011, 12:17 AM
hello,i am fairly new to the mac world(last year) and i recently purchased a powermac g5 with dual 1.8 ghz processor , it will be my first mac desktop and i was wondering how it would compare against my late 2007 2.2 ghz macbook? I plan to upgrade the powermac to at least 4gb of ram and a bigger hard drive.
Will it be significantly slower than my macbook or will it be not much of a difference? I plan on running leopard on it.

also can i use a magic mouse and trackpad with the powermac?

mgartner0622
Feb 2, 2011, 01:07 AM
Hello,
The PowerMac will probably have a faster data access time, and things will load faster, as the hard drive probably runs at 7200rpm versus the 5400 that is probably in your macbook.
Overall, they are about the same for day to day uses, like email, web browsing, ect, and the powermac will probably startup quite a bit faster than your MacBook, as long as it's not full of "junk".
With 4GB of ram, that machine will run leopard very well. You'll just be limited as it's an aging machine and swiftly loosing support (I.E. Snow leopard, CS5), but as long as you're not a professional power user, it will be just fine.
Your graphics card is probably better than the intel card the MacBook has though, so you will see an improvement there.

drmacpro
Feb 2, 2011, 01:28 AM
Your Magic Mouse or Track Pad Won't work. It's not supported in Leopard. You would also need a Bluetooth module

Hrududu
Feb 2, 2011, 01:40 AM
I've opted to use a dual 2.0GHz Powermac with 3GB of RAM as my primary computer setup after a few years of using my 2.16GHz MacBook Pro. Its probably a little bit slower, but the difference isn't enough for me to go back. I like using a desktop as a desktop rather than trying to hook up a bunch of crap to a laptop and make it a desktop. Plus, I figure it may extend the lifetime of the MBP by not running it as often. You'll see a difference, but a dual CPU G5 is still a great daily use system.

VanneDC
Feb 2, 2011, 03:12 AM
magic mouse AND trackpad work just fine under Leopard...yes, even on PPC.

oh and yeah as a daily driver, the dual G5 is a treat.. i love all the ones i have owned and still own.. (currently have a dual 2.3 and waiting on a dual 2.7 to arrive)
esp if you stick a nice vid card in it, they are a great unit and could easily do lots and lots of work.

RedElectro
Feb 2, 2011, 03:24 AM
I've got a 2GHz PowerMac (2GB Ram, 2TB HDD) and it runs brilliantly. I've also got the latest 15" i7 MacBook Pro and to be honest, the difference between the two machines (performance wise) isn't as monumental as you might think!

At work I have a 2 year old Dell XPS machine running XP, and (to me) it seems as though the 5 year old PowerMac (at home) runs quicker. :D

Also, the Magic Mouse works fine with Leopard on a PowerMac, I know because I've got one.

Nameci
Feb 2, 2011, 04:38 AM
Magic mouse and wireless keyboard can be used as long as you put a bluetooth card on it. to the OP, I have a powermac G4 with Airport Express and Apple Bluetooth card, I use a bluetooth keyboard and Magic Mouse with Leopard, so who says you cannot use?

MacHamster68
Feb 2, 2011, 05:21 AM
ok i have one of the last models PowerMac G5 2.3ghz dual core! , and i dont find my iMac intel core duo 1.83ghz a lot faster , despite if i look on pure benchmarks the g5 is definitely slower , but real life and benchmarks there is often a big gap , as i even think my iMac g3 is without doubt still usable for every day tasks , ok i run tiger on m PPC Macs ,just because i fancy sometimes to play a OS9 game in classic and for me tiger is still the greatest OS from apple as it has classic support and even runs on intel Mac's (sadly no classic there), no doubt for some leopard has advantages , just not for me

the main thing is really the question how objective or subjective you are ,mean if you really are looking with the stopwatch on every task and already are close to a nervous breakdown if a app was bouncing more then once , a task took 0.5 sec longer then in the MacBook ,

or if you just dont care as long as the work gets done in a acceptable time then you will be pleased with the performance of a PowerMac G5 , as they are still great Mac's and far from slow really ,always remember the G5 DP models and later DC run with quiet a high system bus something often gets overlooked in the spec sheets when compared

According to Apple-published SPEC CPU2000 benchmarks, and independently tested by Veritest, the Power Macintosh G5 destroys comparable Windows PCs. In "SPEC rate" tests, the Power Macintosh G5/2.0 DP (PCI-X) was 95% faster than a Windows PC with a single 3.0 GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor and 42% faster than the Windows PC with dual 3.06 GHz Intel Xeon processors.

Some claimed that Apple's benchmark testing was rigged, but the Power Macintosh G5 systems trounced the comparative Windows PCs in a series of real world application tests as well. In an Adobe Photoshop "45-filter function test" the original Power Mac G5 models -- the Power Macintosh G5/1.6 (PCI), G5/1.8 (PCI-X), andG5/2.0 DP (PCI-X) -- were 1.5 times, 1.7 times, and 2.2 times faster, respectively, than a Windows PC with a single 3.0 GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor. In similar testing, the dual-processor Power Macintosh G5/1.8 DP (PCI-X) was 76% faster than a Dell Dimension XPS with a single 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 processor.

According to Apple-published benchmarks, the "June 2004" Power Mac G5 models -- the Power Macintosh G5/1.8 DP (PCI), G5/2.0 DP (PCI-X 2), and G5/2.5 DP (PCI-X) -- continued to smoke similarly priced Intel-based systems. In a series of 45 Photoshop filters, these models were 66%, 82%, and 98% faster, respectively, than a 3.4 GHz Pentium 4-based Dell Dimension XPS, and 48%, 63%, and 75% faster, respectively, than a dual 3.2 GHz Xeon-based Dell Precision 650.

The lower-end, and less expensive Power Macintosh G5/1.8 (PCI) -- introduced October 19, 2004 and discontinued October 19, 2005 -- still is faster than comparable Intel-based systems. In the same series of 45 Photoshop filters used to test the "June 2004" models, the Power Macintosh G5/1.8 (PCI) was 20% faster than a 3.4 GHz Pentium 4-based Dell Dimension XPS.

The "Early 2005" Power Mac G5 models -- the Power Macintosh G5/2.0 DP (PCI) andG5/2.3 DP (PCI-X) and G5/2.7 DP (PCI-X) -- again, according to Apple-published benchmarks, are 59%, 78%, and 98% faster than a 3.6 GHz Pentium 4-based Dell Dimension XPS Gen4, and 38%, 56%, and 72% faster than a dual 3.6 GHz Xeon-based Dell Precision 670 in a series of 45 Photoshop filter tests.

Not surprisingly, given that Apple decided to transition to an Intel-based architecture prior to their introduction, the company did not release benchmarks that show the "Late 2005" Power Mac G5 models -- the Power Macintosh G5 Dual Core (2.0), Dual Core (2.3), and "Quad Core" (2.5) -- continuing to trounce comparable Intel-based systems.

in my opinion the PowerMac G5 's are the best buy if you need a affordable ,with expandability and still fast Mac even by today standards ,most even late 2005 models sell for less then a mini core duo 1.83

lucasofcontempt
Feb 2, 2011, 07:15 AM
Magic mouse and wireless keyboard can be used as long as you put a bluetooth card on it. to the OP, I have a powermac G4 with Airport Express and Apple Bluetooth card, I use a bluetooth keyboard and Magic Mouse with Leopard, so who says you cannot use?

Since i have a g5 would i still need the bluetooth card?

Nameci
Feb 2, 2011, 07:27 AM
Best to do is check your system profiler if you have a bluetooth installed if you wanted to use wireless devices with your PowerMac G5

raysfan81
Feb 2, 2011, 08:36 PM
The magic mouse and wireless keyboard work just fine under leopard. The magic trackpad however require Snow leopard which is Intel only.

The easiest way to get bluetooth is to buy one of these. It works right out of the box with osx.

http://www.amazon.com/IOGear-Bluetooth-Micro-Adapter-GBU421/dp/B0018O9JIG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296700519&sr=8-1

cootersgarage6
Feb 8, 2011, 10:34 PM
Hm... Newer things won't work with it, like yes, the Magic Mouse, and the Might Mouse. Also, since it can never run Snow Leopard, you can't get the latest stuff from Apple... Like iTunes, if it is still for Leopard, it won't be shortly, when Lion comes out.

And also, don't expect your PowerMac to be the best from Apple, because it's not. I'm saying don't think Apple is trash because it's not going to be supported. The only reason it's no longer supported is because they switched to Intel's chips instead of the Motorola's PowerPC chips. If they never switched, you would most likely still be good. Apple is known for supporting there old computers, and having there computers run smoothly for a long period of time,

GGJstudios
Feb 8, 2011, 10:54 PM
also can i use a magic mouse and trackpad with the powermac?
Apple Magic Mouse system requirements:
Mac computer with Bluetooth wireless technology
Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later with Wireless Mouse Software Update 1.0* or Mac OS X v10.6.1 or later with Wireless Mouse Software Update 1.0
Existing keyboard and mouse for setup
Two AA batteries (included)
Apple Trackpad system requirements:
Bluetooth-enabled Mac computer
Two AA batteries (included)
Mac OS X Snow Leopard v10.6.4 and latest software update
Your Magic Mouse or Track Pad Won't work. It's not supported in Leopard. You would also need a Bluetooth module
The Magic Mouse is supported in Leopard. Only the Trackpad requires SL.
Hm... Newer things won't work with it, like yes, the Magic Mouse, and the Might Mouse.
False. The Magic Mouse will work, as will the Mighty Mouse, although the OP didn't ask about that.

venomz
Feb 9, 2011, 02:09 AM
I'd worry that the introduction of the Mac App store is going to further accelerate the move of applications and developers away from universal binary support and towards being intel only. More developers are going to go App Store exclusive over time because its been a success so far and it saves them the pain of maintaining their own web stores and other infrastructure.

I'd upgrade the hard drive and ram inside the MacBook if anything, but I'd be hesitant to spend any money upgrading the G5.

MacHamster68
Feb 9, 2011, 02:57 AM
sure that might happen , but there are still developers who love the old PPC platform and continue to develop
and if you really look into some apps the differences between the "older" ppc version and the "newer" intel(runs on amd hackintoshes too) is most times only the GUI
so if you are not the "show off" type user who is only happy if he has the latest and greatest you can be happy with the previous version of the same software and if you dont need to sync the latest gadgets from apple you can still be very happy with OSX tiger which does fly on PowerMac G5's, after all the PowerMac's had been build a workhorses , and just for syncing iphones and playing flash based games should be beneath the dignity of a PowerMac, i mean they are still powerful computers which can do a lot more then just sync iphones or playing games , and they had been build for work , they might not be as fast as a Macpro , but still can do the same stuff , just takes a wee bit longer , but still the PowerMacs offer good performance , for photoshop stuff and film cutting and that sort of things and most important apart from the lcs models who sometimes leak you get a reliable computer

RedElectro
Feb 11, 2011, 12:07 PM
I could be completely wrong here, but I don't see the big deal in having to have the latest of everything! I've got my PowerMac G5 with Adobe CS4 and I'm happy. I can do everything I want to do on it and can't see there being any major technological developments that are going to change that before I'm ready to move on to a new machine.

chungasarnies
Feb 12, 2011, 06:01 AM
The Powermac in my sig is significantly faster than the MBP in my sig for day-to-day computing. I think thats got a lot to do with the fact the MBP is clogged with a lot of junk being my main machine for 15 months now and regularly gets used more than 10 hours a day! I should say it does have a 7200rpm drive.

My PowerMac is used for a bit of browsing, a bit of word processing, some itunes and a lot of Cubase, I think this has kept it less clogged than the MBP.

In terms of raw power I think a C2D and DDR3 is going to better a G5 and DDR2 but in the real world the G5 is no slouch. Try saying that about PCs (P4 types) from 2005 - the G5 leaves them for dead, and then some.

chrismacguy
Feb 12, 2011, 06:12 AM
Try saying that about PCs (P4 types) from 2005 - the G5 leaves them for dead, and then some.

My Dual G4 from 2002 leaves my 2005 2.8P4 in the dust, so thats not really hard to achieve :cool: