Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

011409-10j850.jpg

MacRumors has received word that Apple has seeded a new version of Mac OS X 10.6.7, termed Build 10J850, to developers for testing. The update comes about a week after the previous build was pushed to developers.

According to those familiar with the new build, Apple is continuing to request that developers focus their testing on Mac App Store, AirPort, Bonjour, SMB, Graphics Drivers. No known issues are listed in the documentation.

An estimated target date for the public release of Mac OS X 10.6.7 is unknown, as Apple's development cycles can be very unpredictable. This new build marks the third version seeded to developers since January 20th.

Article Link: Mac OS X 10.6.7 Build 10J850 Seeded to Developers

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
When they say 'testing graphics drivers' I am assuming they mean the OpenGL stack since no programmer directly programmes against the graphics drivers themselves. It will be interesting to see how much fine tuning is actually taking place - how much of the performance sits on the shoulders of the driver vendor versus Apple optimising their OpenGL stack to be more efficient.

It is good they fixed the kernel panic when mounding SMB shares as it was noted as one 'known bug' that shipped with 10J846 - hopefully 10.6.7 will ship shortly since 10.6.6 has been pretty buggy for me in terms of smoothness. 10.6.6 I've seen under a heavy load when I try to move my mouse it just stands still 'wobbling' then suddenly comes back to life - didn't happen before 10.6.6 so I'm wondering whether it was something that fell through the cracks? I just hope that now with the pressure taken off regarding the AppStore that 10.6.7 will include some robust bug fixes.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
Third update. Not bad considering the sole programmer left to work on OSX these days has double duty brewing coffee and fetchig the dry cleaning for the iOS staff.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
maybe they can actually make SMB work properly this time.

Making SMB work isn't an exact science hence unless by some miracle Microsoft fully documents their whole SMB stack things are going to remain iffy - personally I'd sooner see Apple develop some sort of AFP/NFS middleware stack for Windows server so that Mac clients can be supported natively than relying on SMB. IIRC Windows 2008 R2 has the Unix subsystem which includes a NFS server so maybe if you're an IT admin that is the best option when supporting a heterogeneous environment instead of relying on SMB for Mac clients.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

ROLFCOPTER

It will interesting to see what apple has in store when one considers the gradual rise in the number of games producers and new software houses rising to prominence -will that mean with the release of Xcode coinciding with the release of Mac OS X that there will be a refocus on improving things for third party developers.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
There are still annoyingly buggy features in this OS.
And Safari is a crash-crazy program.
Snow Leopard was a golden chalice on discount.

Because OSX 10.6 has been such a horrid OS, I won't purchase the next OS for over a year after it is released.

Will this be the last 10.6.x update to Snow Leopard?

Absolutely not. They update even after the next version is released, usually to add features to work with new hardware.

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
And Safari is a crash-crazy program.

Have you got plug-ins or the like installed for Safari? Since Snow Leopard arrived I don't think that Safari has crashed once on me so I certainly don't recognise the scenario you describe.

My only irritant with Snow Leopard (which might not even be an OS problem) is that Aperture 3 tends to lock-up quite often when working in full-screen mode for me. That it locks up is annoying enough but it seems that the only way to restore my system is to completely reboot it because I am unable to switch away from Aperture to somewhere from which I could kill the application. I don't know if this problem is being caused by the application itself or the OS.

kirreip

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
Have you got plug-ins or the like installed for Safari? Since Snow Leopard arrived I don't think that Safari has crashed once on me so I certainly don't recognise the scenario you describe.

My only irritant with Snow Leopard (which might not even be an OS problem) is that Aperture 3 tends to lock-up quite often when working in full-screen mode for me. That it locks up is annoying enough but it seems that the only way to restore my system is to completely reboot it because I am unable to switch away from Aperture to somewhere from which I could kill the application. I don't know if this problem is being caused by the application itself or the OS.
Have you tried pressing cmd-alt-esc and then kill the app?

keruah

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2009
Try running Aperture in 32 bit mode

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Ok, that made me laugh. Nice. :cool:

+1
I'm so sick of iPad and iPhone and iOS news on the frontpage, I wish there was a "hide" option to filter it out.

WTF happened in the past few years? Everyone and their soccer mum is on the iOS bandwagon. I'd love to see people try to use full fledged software on their iPad's - oh wait, you can't. Try running Aperture or AutoCAD on an iDevice. Whether Jobs likes it or not, professionals will always need a good desktop system for screen real estate and power. Enough iOS, give me an actual OS to sink my teeth into. God I miss the days when OS X beta's were frontpage topics.

Boston007

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
+1
I'm so sick of iPad and iPhone and iOS news on the frontpage, I wish there was a "hide" option to filter it out.

WTF happened in the past few years? Everyone and their soccer mum is on the iOS bandwagon. I'd love to see people try to use full fledged software on their iPad's - oh wait, you can't. Try running Aperture or AutoCAD on an iDevice. Whether Jobs likes it or not, professionals will always need a good desktop system for screen real estate and power. Enough iOS, give me an actual OS to sink my teeth into. God I miss the days when OS X beta's were frontpage topics.

Unfortunately, Jobs and Apple have realized the iOS platform is generating much more $ for them, therefore they are focusing on that.

Believe me, I'm sick of the iOS talk as well. I think the iPad is such a waste

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
Unfortunately, Jobs and Apple have realized the iOS platform is generating much more $ for them, therefore they are focusing on that.

Believe me, I'm sick of the iOS talk as well. I think the iPad is such a waste

For some people the iPad is a waste. I know someone who bought 2 iPads on launch day. He sold them when he realized his 13" MBP was enough for him and his family.

On the other hand, my pastor at church uses an iPad for notes, has different versions of the Bible, e-mail.. etc. all on one device. So for some people the iPad is a handy tool and not a waste.

I can't wait to get my iPad 2 this year. I can use it for notes and a lot more stuff at college. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
People and the media have a tendency to overreact. Everybody is talking about mobility, the smartphone wars and the death of the PC as we know it.
Of course there is some truth in all these things, but we tend to forget how important the PC is (a Mac is also a Personal Computer) if we want to do any kind of work done. Personal or business, the PC is here to stay and cannot be replaced by smartphones and tablets. Sure, some functionality will move over to tablets and smartphones, but we will never see tablets completely replacing PCs.
The smartphone market is still not that big and there are still many companies that do make millions of dollars in the PC business.
Mac OS X is very important to Apple's success and Apple knows that. Even iOS is just a subset of Mac OS X engineering. Let us not forget that!

As the years go by we will see even more focus on smartphones and tablets, but PCs will also evolve and become even more powerful. Tablets cannot replace PCs, and PCs cannot replace tablets. We will just be using the best form factor for the job.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Third update. Not bad considering the sole programmer left to work on OSX these days has double duty brewing coffee and fetchig the dry cleaning for the iOS staff.

I needed a good morning laugh.. thank you.

that is unless it's true :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.