Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OzExige

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
Omnipresence
"By joining forces with Microsoft, Nokia would get a new smartphone operating system to replace Symbian in high end devices, and access to the U.S. market where the world’s largest phonemaker currently has a single-digit market share"

WAIT - THERE'S MORE GOOD NEWS for our mates at 'OYJ'

(He) <Berenberg Bank analyst Adnaan Ahmad>
recommended Nokia junk MeeGo, the platform it is developing with Intel Corp., saying
“it’s the biggest joke in the tech industry right now, and will put you (Nokia) even further behind Apple and Google.”
To contact the reporter on this story: Diana ben-Aaron in Helsinki at dbenaaron1@bloomberg.net
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Vidya Root in Paris at vroot@bloomberg.net NOK1V FH CN

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Having never used it, I cannot comment personally, however...

This source is a Bank analyst. They're in the area of finance... not tech, am I right? I don't know much about MeeGo, except that as Nokia is one of the world's largest cellphone manufacturers, wouldn't it be in their best interests to have an OS that they controlled, instead of Google or Microsoft?

OzExige

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
Omnipresence
Having never used it, I cannot comment personally, however...

This source is a Bank analyst. They're in the area of finance... not tech, am I right? I don't know much about MeeGo, except that as Nokia is one of the world's largest cellphone manufacturers, wouldn't it be in their best interests to have an OS that they controlled, instead of Google or Microsoft?

You're right, of course,
"however they're (Nokia) going the way of the dinosaur" <end quote>
and it's either Android or Winmo 7 or extinction.

Plus the fact that if they hand off the major portion of software development to MSoft they can 'downsize' (get rid of more staff), in a last ditch (my opinion) effort to placate share holders.

And I'll bet it's windoze, Elop only left Microsoft for the money. He still wants to keep up the 'family ties'

Last edited:

benzslrpee

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
bank analysts and tech companies are probably connected closer to each other than tech blogs. many (if not all) publicly traded corps often slip bits and pieces of info to analysts who follow their respective companies in order to garner better equity/debt ratings.

perhaps the analyst saw the projected cash flow from MeeGo and decided there was no way in hell it would clear their rate of return. could be a lot of things.

and yes, since Nokia is able to create a phone from end to end, it is definitely more profitable to stay away from Win7 and Android. they jump into either of those, all the Asian firms (HTC/Samsung/LG et al) will beat Nokia with their years of experience battling on razor thin margins.

i'm just surprised that neither HTC or Samsung have developed their own fork of Android yet. Google hasn't been shy in saying they want to drive hardware prices down. you'd think that would give both companies enough incentive to gradually ween off the official Android.
... This source is a Bank analyst. They're in the area of finance... not tech, am I right? I don't know much about MeeGo, except that as Nokia is one of the world's largest cellphone manufacturers, wouldn't it be in their best interests to have an OS that they controlled, instead of Google or Microsoft?

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Absolutely ridiculous, it's not even been released yet. Move along until a product is out, retards.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A single analyst slamming an unreleased OS on an unreleased phone - shocking.

Seriously, until Nokia ships a phone with MeeGo, this nothing more then noise from someone who likes to see his name in the news.

benzslrpee

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
what does R&D have to do with anything?

their SEC filings show that their R&D for 2007, 2008, 2009 were 8.3B, 8.4B and 8.5B. revenue during the same period were 75B, 71B and 59B. their operating cash flow also decreased those 3 years as well.

the increase in R&D sure doesn't seem to have translated well into financial and operational performance.

Another analyst talking crap. Meego hasn't been released so I don't see how this analyst can come to this conclusion.

I saw an article on Engadget - Nokia spend vastly more on R&D than others.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/03/visualized-nokia-randd-spending-almost-3-times-its-peers/

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
what does R&D have to do with anything?

Because its related - I added it for interest purposes.

I expect Nokia to be investing pretty heavily in User Experience research.. though that amount is a drop in that R&D ocean. I expect Nokia have also spent quite a lot of money on getting Meego right both in the guise of R&D as well as outside.

tinachan

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
Right even I feel that Nokia & Microsoft together can come up with something exciting... I believe wp7 will be good in due time. Its not windows mobile anymore. Its a whole new look and os thats pretty sweet looking. Moreover see what 3rd party developers have to say about the merger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfWFvCJJaNs

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Right even I feel that Nokia & Microsoft together can come up with something exciting... I believe wp7 will be good in due time. Its not windows mobile anymore. Its a whole new look and os thats pretty sweet looking. Moreover see what 3rd party developers have to say about the merger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfWFvCJJaNs

You know MS still sells that Zune thing, right?

It isn't any more relevant today than it was in 2006.

The problem with WP7 is that Microsoft is the one making it. And now they've partnered with the Microsoft of mobile phones.

Until MS undergoes a significant, palpable, near-grounbreaking change in top-level management, you won't really see anything that great from them in this area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.