Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaoticbear

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
Been looking at pulling the trigger on a 13" 4GB MBA, and would loooove to buy refurbed. I've been keeping an eye on http://www.refurb.me but there's not a listed price for this configuration, which I take to mean that they haven't ever seen any. I know that people have said that Apple is selling the 4GB models in the store - although I know it's technically "CTO", does this mean I have any better a chance of it showing up there, or should I just bite the bullet and buy new?

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
Been looking at pulling the trigger on a 13" 4GB MBA, and would loooove to buy refurbed. I've been keeping an eye on http://www.refurb.me but there's not a listed price for this configuration, which I take to mean that they haven't ever seen any. I know that people have said that Apple is selling the 4GB models in the store - although I know it's technically "CTO", does this mean I have any better a chance of it showing up there, or should I just bite the bullet and buy new?

1. go for the education discount. Grab your old college ID , they dont care.

2. Ask them to price match microcenter which is running a special $50 off al MBA. While microcenter does not technically carry the 4 gb version, it doesn't mention that any where in the ad on their home page. Just hope the sales guy at mac store will let it slide as well.

3. Order off amazon or another site and avoid sales tax.

For the $100 difference I'd rather just get it it new.

ccsicecoke

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Keep an eye on Apple.com

I saw several refurbished Airs with 4GB ram around December 24th last year. Sold out quickly and never showed up again

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Education pricing on the Air is $50 off all models, $70 off "Ultimate" (4GB) models....

davtomcol

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2006
There were 11" 4g models a couple of weeks ago. Refurb.me notified me and I had my credit card out fast. They sold out within minutes.

chaoticbear

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
As it turns out, there actually came some available through the Apple website tonight, and refurb.me sent me an email.

I crunched the numbers, though, and it was only about $10-$20 more to just buy new from MacMall (after factoring in tax), so that's what I did.

Counting down 3-5 business days... :D

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
As it turns out, there actually came some available through the Apple website tonight, and refurb.me sent me an email.

I crunched the numbers, though, and it was only about $10-$20 more to just buy new from MacMall (after factoring in tax), so that's what I did.

Counting down 3-5 business days... :D
Wait, really? I saw the 13in, 128GB HD, 4GB RAM for $1189.

Maybe this is a dumb question but...does MacMall not charge tax?

chaoticbear

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
Wait, really? I saw the 13in, 128GB HD, 4GB RAM for $1189.

Maybe this is a dumb question but...does MacMall not charge tax?

Nor in states where they don't have a retail presence. Quick Google search says that they do in CA, IL, TN and NY. Apple claims that they do in all 50 states, I know they aren't talking about Apple Stores, because I live about 3 hours from the nearest one, in a different state. Maybe they are referring to the fact that you can buy iPods at Walmart or something. I tried to make a test purchase with my address though and it definitely charged me sales tax.

Jman14

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2008
There is a couple of 4GB models in the refurb store right now! Check it out!

chaoticbear

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
Thanks - but I've got one on the way already ;)

Actually, UPS is showing it several days ahead of schedule, it was supposed to be here Monday-Wednesday, but it's already on the truck for delivery... now if it'll be able to get there with the snow and ice is a different story!

And y'all need to spread the word about refurb.me - that site is aMAZing.

hoveowl

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2003
I bought an 11"/4GB/1.6 model over the phone on Saturday arvo. $1271.45 including overnight FedEx (should arrive tomorrow). I think it's a great deal. My wife has the regular 11", which is really slick but I think mine will be better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.