PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac G5 2.5Ghz Quad Problems

TrinCrew10
Feb 2, 2011, 12:22 PM
So the other day my G5 Quad started just running the cooling fans on high on start up and not displaying anything. I shut it off and left it off for a few days and turned it back on again today. It did the same thing, it was connected to my TV so I checked to see whether my MacBook would display on the TV and it does. The red light also comes on at start up and shut down. Is this just a video card failure or a bigger problem?
Thanks for any input

TrinCrew10
Feb 2, 2011, 12:26 PM
additionally the machine cannot be put to sleep with the power button located on the front

TrinCrew10
Feb 2, 2011, 12:47 PM
Update: I reset the SMU and the machine works fine. Is this a sign that the logic board is going? Should I still get the machine checked out?

TrinCrew10
Feb 2, 2011, 12:53 PM
now im pissed off again because it is not recognizing the airport card that I know is in there...

Hrududu
Feb 2, 2011, 01:01 PM
Still have your Apple Hardware Test disc? I would run it if you still have it. Also, consider taking it in to an authorized service provider for tests. Also never hurts to open it up and use an air compressor to blow out dust that has collected in there.

skinniezinho
Feb 2, 2011, 01:03 PM
try to run the AHT that came with it..if nothing shoes,take it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider .

chrfr
Feb 2, 2011, 01:47 PM
Did you check for coolant leaks inside?

MacHamster68
Feb 3, 2011, 05:35 AM
+1 check the cooling system for leaks first in G5 LCS models , check wherever possible inside ,underneath and behind the processors , this liquid is corrosive enough to dissolve the logicboard and all parts on it or powersupply and even the case over time

franklinZappa
Feb 3, 2011, 04:38 PM
Update: I reset the SMU and the machine works fine. Is this a sign that the logic board is going? Should I still get the machine checked out?

I would say it is about 90% a logic board problem.

The other percentage of it could be third party hardware that you have installed.

VanneDC
Feb 3, 2011, 04:55 PM
check LCS... first and foremost!!!