Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taplang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
East Sussex
Hi,

I recently posted a thread called 'Problem with Mac Mail duplicating subject headers'. No one seemed to know what was wrong, so I went ahead with the only thing I could think of, which was to re-install the system software. However, I now have a much bigger problem which I really hope someone can help me with! It's threatening my whole drive, or at the very least my accumulated software.

I began a routine installation procedure, using the original MacBook OS X Install discs. I followed the instructions to re-install the system software. At one point, the screen instruction told me that I needed 14.43gb of free space to perform the installation. I went back to the desktop, threw away enough files to clear 15.5gb and began the installation. Everything was going fine, the installation process took about an hour, and then, just as I was expecting it to finish up, a message flashed up saying:

You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume
The target does not have enough free space for the install.

I was amazed, because I'd left 1gb more than I'd been asked for to begin with. Even worse, when I click okay on this message, the screen goes to blue, and then the message returns. The only remaining onscreen options are useless. The top menu bar retains only the Apple menu and the Install heading - but nothing happens when you click the install menu header, and nothing happens when you click 'restart' or shut down' either.

I then rebooted from the MacBook Install disc, holding down the 'c' key to do so. I ran Disk Repair from the Utilities menu. This result was 'The disc appears to be okay' or words to that effect. However, when I shut down and restarted, I simply ended up back with the same message: 'You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume', etc.

Can anyone think of a way I can avoid having to completely rewrite the hard drive (the only other option I can think of) using the Install disc? I backed up all of my data, music, pictures, etc, but I didn't back up my software or preferences. All I wanted to do was re-install the system software and now this has happened. Help!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Get an external HDD or at least copy a lot of data off the internal HDD, as 15GB is quite low, especially when the installation needs 14GB.
The installer probably needs a bit more than 15GB DURING the installation to unpack software and such.

Btw, it is always recommended to leave at least 10 to 20 percent of the HDD's or SSD's capacity free (110 to 20 GB out of a 100GB HDD).

Btw, what Mac OS X version do you use?

Taplang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
East Sussex
Get an external HDD or at least copy a lot of data off the internal HDD, as 15GB is quite low, especially when the installation needs 14GB.
The installer probably needs a bit more than 15GB DURING the installation to unpack software and such.

Btw, it is always recommended to leave at least 10 to 20 percent of the HDD's or SSD's capacity free (110 to 20 GB out of a 100GB HDD).

Btw, what Mac OS X version do you use?

The MacBook uses OS X 10.4.11. I can't get back to my old desktop in order to remove any further data. Now that this has happened, I do wish I'd removed a lot more, but when the install disc asked for 14.43 I thought 15.5 was acceptable margin. Thanks for clarifying the recommended free capacity< I I can fix this problem I'll bear it in mind!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.