Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

160130-att_logo_150.jpg

AT&T today announced forthcoming changes to its smartphone tethering data plans, increasing the monthly data limit to 4 GB from the current 2 GB cap. The change, set to take effect on February 13th, comes as AT&T rolls out mobile hotspot functionality for the new HTC Inspire 4G handset, although the company has not addressed whether it will support the similar hotspot functionality for the iPhone once iOS 4.3 is released to the public.
In addition, also on February 13th, to bring AT&T's smartphone tethering plan in line with the AT&T Mobile Hotspot offer, AT&T will automatically add the additional 2GB of monthly data usage to smartphone customers already on a tethering plan - at no extra charge. Customers will incur the same $20 monthly fee they're accustomed to paying, only now they'll receive an extra 2GB of data each month.
AT&T currently offers two monthly data plans for iPhone customers: DataPlus with 200 MB of data for $15 and DataPro with 2 GB of data for $25. Tethering is available to DataPro customers for an additional charge of $20 per month, but until now has not offered any additional data capacity, with tethering data coming out of the same 2 GB cap allotted to regular smartphone use. The changes announced today essentially mean that the extra $20 tethering fee will also bring customers an additional 2 GB of data per month to be used between their phone and tethered devices.

Article Link: AT&T to Bump DataPro + Tethering Plan to 4 GB Per Month

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
You call this a competition? This is more like insult to customers. AT&T needs to lose some customers and watch their stocks fall down hard.
This plan still sucks compare to even Verizon who has far better network in reliability.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
AT&T deceiving their customers *again*

4GB ≠ unlimited data. This is yet more lameness from AT&T. This company is the greediest and stingiest carrier out there, that is always looking for a way to shaft its customers. Go to hell, AT&T! :mad:

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
This is definitely a step in the right direction. Would be nice if AT&T also let you use your current 2GB plan for tethering for $30/mth (an extra $5/mth to enable tethering for the data you're already paying for).

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Hmmmm... this could potentially change my decision to go with the Verizon iPhone. I plan on utilizing the tethering quite a bit on whatever device I go with, but until now I had not even considered AT&T because of their 2GB limit for total data on the phone and tethering. Allowing an additional 2GB of data is a definitely more appealing. Of course, we don't know for sure it'll even be offered for iPhone, but we probably can assume it will be since we know Hotspot is coming in 4.3.

So how does this work? If you subscribe to DataPro + Tethering, you get 4GB total to share between the phone and tethering, or are they both separate. For example, could I now go over the 2GB limit on the phone as long as my tethering is below 2GB? Or would I still be limited to 2GB of phone data even if I use just a little bit of tethering? In other words, do they keep track of phone and tethering data separately, or would you now get a total of 4GB for both?

maokh

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Seattle, WA
So, basically, 2GB at $10 per overage GB, is baked into the tethering cost. Why not provide it at a discount, give consumers 5GB...which is what the current market is offering anyway?

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
Step in the right direction. However, if I have a 4GB plan, I should be able to tether that data or use it only from on the device. It shouldn't be extra to tether as long as my device's monthly cap isn't exceeded. It's my data, if I want to share it with my laptop, why should I pay you again?

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
4gb should be more than enough for the average person! So good job at&t.

however I am not the average person... I will use 10-20gb per month with mywi 4.0

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I want to keep my unlimited and add 2GB for hotspot like verizon. Im okay with 4GB with tethering but I lose my unlimited if I don't want to tether anymore going down to 2GB a month which is not enough.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Another half baked carrot that does not provide the peoples needs.
Who thinks 4gb even scratches the surface on anyones teathering needs.

Glad I have unlimited data, and the Handylight app.

Works for me considering I hardly even break 500 MB a month even when I do tether......

BigTRQ

macrumors regular
May 30, 2007
Hmmmm... this could potentially change my decision to go with the Verizon iPhone. I plan on utilizing the tethering quite a bit on whatever device I go with, but until now I had not even considered AT&T because of their 2GB limit for total data on the phone and tethering. Allowing an additional 2GB of data is a definitely more appealing. Of course, we don't know for sure it'll even be offered for iPhone, but we probably can assume it will be since we know Hotspot is coming in 4.3.

So how does this work? If you subscribe to DataPro + Tethering, you get 4GB total to share between the phone and tethering, or are they both separate. For example, could I now go over the 2GB limit on the phone as long as my tethering is below 2GB? Or would I still be limited to 2GB of phone data even if I use just a little bit of tethering? In other words, do they keep track of phone and tethering data separately, or would you now get a total of 4GB for both?

It seems as though you now have 4 GB total data allotment. Example: You use 3 GB on device, plus 1 GB tethering, total 4 GB used. If it's not this way (and it reads like it is), then that's pretty lame on AT&T's part.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010

4gb to use any anyway you do

So, basically, 2GB at $10 per overage GB, is baked into the tethering cost. Why not provide it at a discount, give consumers 5GB...which is what the current market is offering anyway?

exactly, $10 per gb=no thanks. I'll keep jailbreaking thank you

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
This is a good step and will likely mirror what Verizon will be switching to in the coming months. I'm paying 30 for unlimited data and 40 for a Virgin Mobile MiFi and I would gladly stop using the MiFi all the time and switch to a tethering plan.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
It seems as though you now have 4 GB total data allotment. Example: You use 3 GB on device, plus 1 GB tethering, total 4 GB used. If it's not this way (and it reads like it is), then that's pretty lame on AT&T's part.

It's 4 GB across all your devices. That means your iPhone and anything else you connect to it.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
People that think this is competition are foolish. If we had real competition, we wouldn't have the decreasing trend of data allowance and increasing price, and we wouldn't have this crap in the first place. This is just a marketing strategy to balance the collusion between the cartels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.