PDA

View Full Version : Airport Express - access point question

atrevers
Feb 3, 2011, 06:01 AM
I currently have cable internet, through a cable modem which I connect via ethernet to my Airport Express, which I am using as my main (and only) router. The internet connection comes into my lounge, and I want to move the Airport Express to my kitchen so I can plug it into my kitchen hifi (I already have an Apple TV in the lounge so it would be better in the kitchen).

If I buy an access point (e.g. Buffalo WLAE-AG300N) and plug the cable modem into that, can I then use Airport Utility to connect this to my Airport Express and get internet across the network? My main issue is that I want the Airport Express to remain the main network controller, to retain Bonjour services so that the Apple TV can see the computer when it is asleep.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

thunderboltspro
Feb 3, 2011, 06:29 AM
I currently have cable internet, through a cable modem which I connect via ethernet to my Airport Express, which I am using as my main (and only) router. The internet connection comes into my lounge, and I want to move the Airport Express to my kitchen so I can plug it into my kitchen hifi (I already have an Apple TV in the lounge so it would be better in the kitchen).

If I buy an access point (e.g. Buffalo WLAE-AG300N) and plug the cable modem into that, can I then use Airport Utility to connect this to my Airport Express and get internet across the network? My main issue is that I want the Airport Express to remain the main network controller, to retain Bonjour services so that the Apple TV can see the computer when it is asleep.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Airport utility doesn't work with non-airport items.
Best coarse of action, Buy a refurb. airport extreme(cheaper but same quality) and use the express as your access point in the kitchen. literally set up was 95% easier setting it up. As with a buffalo, you would have to use their software setup then set it as a access point of your current network.

atrevers
Feb 3, 2011, 11:35 AM
Airport utility doesn't work with non-airport items.

OK - but presumably therefore I could use the Buffalo software to set it up as an AP and connect that to my Airport Express network, and the Express would pick up the internet connection off that?

Reason being that I've found a Buffalo AP for 20 and don't want to spend much more than that - to be honest I'm not desperate enough to move the router to spend a lot of money (and if I was going to spend the money, I'd be better off getting the broadband line extended to the kitchen), but if I can do it "on the cheap" then it's worth doing.

thunderboltspro
Feb 3, 2011, 04:19 PM
OK - but presumably therefore I could use the Buffalo software to set it up as an AP and connect that to my Airport Express network, and the Express would pick up the internet connection off that?

Reason being that I've found a Buffalo AP for 20 and don't want to spend much more than that - to be honest I'm not desperate enough to move the router to spend a lot of money (and if I was going to spend the money, I'd be better off getting the broadband line extended to the kitchen), but if I can do it "on the cheap" then it's worth doing.

It could possible work and you may have to play around with the setting a bit. i would leave the express plugged into the router though and just have the buffalo as a access point.