Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

192106-macappstore.jpg

Apple is now allowing Mac developers to create promo codes for apps in the Mac App Store. Per MacStories:
You can now generate promo codes for your Mac apps in iTunes Connect. These promo codes can be redeemed in any Mac App Store worldwide. For each version of your app, you can request up to 50 promo codes.
Promo codes allows developers to give out free copies of their App Store apps for review and giveaway purposes. This feature has long been offered to iOS App Store developers.

Article Link: Apple Allows Developers to Generate Promo Codes for Mac App Store

bastula

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2004
That's cool, but I'm sure some people will "neg" it anyway. lol

I think I'm stupid, but for all these years, I have yet to figure out how to rate/vote these posts. :confused:

It's not on the article page and I don't see anything when posting a reply. :(

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
I think I'm stupid, but for all these years, I have yet to figure out how to rate/vote these posts. :confused:

It's not on the article page and I don't see anything when posting a reply. :(

at the bottom next to rate.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    124.9 KB · Views: 222

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

Ya some idiot did already even though there is literally nothing bad about this. Since a lot of the people who visit these forums can't think for themselves they have to do whats "trendy" and hate on apple :rolleyes:

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Promo codes allows developers to give out free copies of their App Store apps for review and giveaway purposes.

Or to offer existing customers upgrade pricing perhaps??

Edit: Oops, just noticed where it says, 'you can request up to 50 promo codes'. There goes that idea.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Promo codes have been successfully for iOS apps, so it's no surprise that Apple applied the same program to Mac OS X apps.

pinsrw

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
$$$

If I didn't have to pay another $100 to sell my Mac program in the Mac Store, this news might matter. As it is, I've already spent $100 for the iOS developer program...

bastula

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2004
at the bottom next to rate.

It's not on the article page, so if you don't visit the front page, you won't see it.

It's only on http://www.macrumors.com

Thanks! I finally cast my first vote. :)

I never thought to check the home page. I always come to MacRumors either through RSS or Twitter which link straight to the articles, so I have never seen the links.

Ideally there should be vote links on the article pages as well.

bastula

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2004
If I didn't have to pay another $100 to sell my Mac program in the Mac Store, this news might matter. As it is, I've already spent $100 for the iOS developer program...

Yeah, there should either be a discount fee, or combine the fees into one so that you can develop for both.

raep

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2010
P.R.
Thanks! I finally cast my first vote. :)

I never thought to check the home page. I always come to MacRumors either through RSS or Twitter which link straight to the articles, so I have never seen the links.

Ideally there should be vote links on the article pages as well.

Same here I alway come in through rss I guess I learned something new.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I wish Apple would let publishers offer promo codes for the iBookstore, too. It would be a great way for us to distribute our books to a select group of reviewers and librarians.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

Of course. Give me ONE good reason why I have ask Apple what I'm allowed to do with my own product.

The phrase "Apple allows developers to..." alone makes me want to throw up.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Promo Codes is good - companies can use them to 'transfere' existing users to the MAS.

What is missing now is 'trial' codes - especially for the more expensive software I would like to try it before buying it.

Of course. Give me ONE good reason why I have ask Apple what I'm allowed to do with my own product.

The phrase "Apple allows developers to..." alone makes me want to throw up.

If you sell it in YOUR store you can do what you want - if you want to sell it in the store from someone else you have to agree to their rules. MAS is not required to distribute your software - you can do it as you did before if you don't like the rules of the MAS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.