PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4: CD Stuck & won't boot

MLSundar
Feb 3, 2011, 08:33 PM
Hello everyone.

Longtime user first-time poster. So thank you for all your help!

Was given an old Powerbook G4 15 inch aluminum that someone was going to trash. Being a nerd, i thought I could fix what seems to be a simple problem.
But I'm stuck.

So, here are the problems and what I've done to fix:
Kernel Panic

Have copy of boot cd, but another cd is stuck in drive

SO...

CD stuck in optical drive:

held down eject button at boot
inserted knife, paperclip and cearle box top in drive to stop or grab cd.
held option control +o+f and typed eject cd at prompt
shook computer to get cd in correct place (in case it wasn't)

I'm thinking my next option is to open up the computer, take out the optical drive and take cd out...somehow.

Any suggestions?

chrismacguy
Feb 4, 2011, 04:58 AM
Hello everyone.

Was given an old Powerbook G4 15 inch aluminum that someone was going to trash. Being a nerd, i thought I could fix what seems to be a simple problem.
But I'm stuck.

Kernel Panic

SO...

I'm thinking my next option is to open up the computer, take out the optical drive and take cd out...somehow.

Any suggestions?

Judging by that the disc has obviously got lodged or stuck on something inside the drive - Id try taking the machine apart, get the drive out and trying to get it out then (If it wont come out just replace the drive - its easier than spending ages trying to get a disc out of an elderly drive).

MLSundar
Feb 4, 2011, 06:59 AM
(If it wont come out just replace the drive - its easier than spending ages trying to get a disc out of an elderly drive).

Hi Chrismacguy,

Thanks so much for your help.

Question is, if I replace the drive, will the computer recognize the new drive? I must by the exact same one then, yes?

Also if I take the drive out, how do I get the cd out of the drive? Do I actually have to unscrew the whole thing apart?

Best,
Melissa

chrismacguy
Feb 4, 2011, 11:55 AM
Hi Chrismacguy,

Thanks so much for your help.

Question is, if I replace the drive, will the computer recognize the new drive? I must by the exact same one then, yes?

Also if I take the drive out, how do I get the cd out of the drive? Do I actually have to unscrew the whole thing apart?

Best,
Melissa

So long as the drive has the same connector it will be fine, it doesnt matter if its the same model or not. It depends, some drives have a little poke hole to get stuff out, or you just unscrew it to get stuff out.
Chris :)

MacHamster68
Feb 4, 2011, 12:03 PM
first try all options even the weird sounding ones like for example conect a usb mouse and press the mouse button hold it during startup and a bit longer sometimes , as the not ejecting could be a faulty keyboard , so pressing the eject button will have no function , but holding down a mouse button might help to convince the drive to eject the disc ,just keep a credit card in hand to push a bit to make clear what you want from it to do :confused:

ok drives are not expensive but i mean if i can safe a couple quid i will

MLSundar
Feb 7, 2011, 12:31 PM
So I have tried everything. NOTHING worked.

So I've taken it apart and removed the drive.

Does anyone know if the computer will work if I DO NOT re-install the drive OR Will this screw up the computer even more????

Thanks so much!!

serial8
Feb 10, 2011, 04:29 PM
hi,

just unscrew all the screws you have on the drive then remove the disc and put everything back together. Did this a couple times and it works fine.

siwel00
Jun 6, 2013, 11:31 AM
Hello everyone.

But I'm stuck.

Kernel Panic

SO...

Any suggestions?

no don't open it upon startup hold the right mouse button on your computer until the cd eject and wah lah

ftored
Jun 6, 2013, 12:14 PM
So I have tried everything. NOTHING worked.

So I've taken it apart and removed the drive.

Does anyone know if the computer will work if I DO NOT re-install the drive OR Will this screw up the computer even more????

Thanks so much!!

I removed the optical drive from my 12'' powerbook G4 and it is working fine. It was broken anw and i use a powermac G4 to install the OS in target mode:)