PDA

View Full Version : Going to ATV2 (dropping Dish), do I need better wireless ?

Shivetya
Feb 4, 2011, 05:04 AM
Currently I have a cable modem which is connected to a Linksys 54 series wireless router. Its single band, that much I am sure of. I will check when I get home as it might to N but I am not sure.

Regardless, would it be noticeable if I upgraded my home to a dual band router like Apple's Extreme line; not bad pricing if purchased as refurb; or will the ATV2 do just fine otherwise?

I am looking to swap to Netflix for some TV shows. Most movies I watch are blu-ray and I am not worried about changing that. Just want to make sure that I don't make for a bad ATV2 experience because of my existing hardware.

Evgenyy
Feb 4, 2011, 05:34 AM
Currently I have a cable modem which is connected to a Linksys 54 series wireless router. Its single band, that much I am sure of. I will check when I get home as it might to N but I am not sure.

Regardless, would it be noticeable if I upgraded my home to a dual band router like Apple's Extreme line; not bad pricing if purchased as refurb; or will the ATV2 do just fine otherwise?

I am looking to swap to Netflix for some TV shows. Most movies I watch are blu-ray and I am not worried about changing that. Just want to make sure that I don't make for a bad ATV2 experience because of my existing hardware.

I am running my ATV2 on wireless G network and it works just fine. Everything streams fine and I don't get long buffering times. The only issue I had was when I was using google DNS but after switching to my ISP DNS, problems stopped.

Shivetya
Feb 7, 2011, 03:01 PM
OK, will have to try it as is then, never had any issues with my current setup for anything else and would prefer to not spend what I do not have too

djrobsd
Feb 8, 2011, 02:29 PM
If you live in a suburb away from apartment buildings in a single family home, you should be ok. If you live in an urban area with houses crammed on top of each other, and lots of apartment buildings, you won't stand a prayer with your old single band router...

Just give it a try and see if it works and buy a new one if not. FWIW, I think the Apple routers are crap, and the Netgear WNDR3700 is much better...