Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mykweb

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Edinburgh
Afternoon all

I have been using macs for a while now and recently picked up a second hand Macbook made in early 2007. Its a dual core 2.0 GHZ in white.

Its version or model is A1181

When using the laptop if I move the screen below the 90 degree mark the screen flickers on and off.

I read on a forum that it could be the screen ribbon, so I bought a second hand one, stripped down the mac and fitted the new cable. Fitted everything back together and powered on the laptop .... and Nothing. The laptop powers on and the hard disk works and the DVD drives makes it noises.

I took it to my local cancom store and they said it's likely to be the screen invertor or the invertor power cable. But they can't look at the laptop for 2-3 weeks, and it would cost £80 for a diagnostics as its out of warrenty.

So I have bought a new invertor from ebay and a power cable. Is this likely to solve it?

Any other idea's

Mike

mykweb

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Edinburgh
Little update

Got my new inveror and also my external monitor cable today, fired in the external monitor and I have my mac back.

I am typing this to you now. Phew so it not the logic board :)

Narrows it down to the invertor, invertor power supply cable and the display ribbon.

Awaiting the new invertor power cable so can't do anymore until then.

Mike

headviking

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2008
So how did it come out? I am having the same problem. The 2 cables are, on the left is the power inverter cable and the one on the right is the display cable...is this correct. I am planning to do the repair myself but neeed to know what cable is what. Any help from someone that has done this would be great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.