Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pavinder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Hi,

I'm a newcomer to iMovie and have encountered a few issues while copying projects to an external drive. Wonder if anyone could please help.

I want to work on projects over the weekend at home and then copy back to my work computer next week. Here are the issues:

1. I have 2 projects which both use clips from the same event (which has 3.5GB of clips). When I try to copy the second project to the external drive iMovie wants to copy the entire 3.5GB of clips again. I would have thought iMovie could see they have already been copied to the external drive with the first project and therefore should only copy the clips from the second project which aren't also in the first project.
How can I stop it from copying all the clips again? I can't just choose to copy the project (without the clips) because some clips in the second project aren't already on the external drive as they come from other events.

2. iMovie creates the iMovie Projects and iMovie Events folders at the top level of my external drive. I don't want to have them there, as I have many other files and folders neatly organized on the external drive and I want to keep these projects separate, within their own subfolder on the external. How can I do this?

Any advice on these would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.