PDA

View Full Version : About those refurbished MBA...

hcho3
Feb 4, 2011, 04:45 PM
Do they have any serious scratches or anything on them?
I am about to buy one, but I am kind of wondering what it comes with.

I am assuming it comes with everything + 1 year warranty.

But, it doesn't come with the original box?

No one has unboxing video or picture of late 2010 MBA, so I dunno...

I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me about those 11.6 refurbished MBA before I pull my trigger.

Jman14
Feb 4, 2011, 04:49 PM
I've never had a product with scratches, but I assume if you do get one... Apple will replace it. Yes they come with a 1 year warranty. But not the original box.

xxRONNIExx
Feb 4, 2011, 04:52 PM
Do they have any serious scratches or anything on them?
I am about to buy one, but I am kind of wondering what it comes with.

I am assuming it comes with everything + 1 year warranty.

But, it doesn't come with the original box?

No one has unboxing video or picture of late 2010 MBA, so I dunno...

I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me about those 11.6 refurbished MBA before I pull my trigger.

I just ordered mines about 5 minutes ago, I cant wait to get it!! My friend bought one 2 weeks ago and his looked brand new. No scratches, dings, or dents.
They come with everything a new macbook air would get, sometimes even more. He got a few adaptors with his which he didnt order. They all go through vigorous test before they shipp them.
Only thing Im mad about is they dont do overnight shipping. So I will have to wait about a week until I get mines...:D

Undo Redo
Feb 4, 2011, 06:15 PM
I got a 13" refurbished and it's in perfect condition. I think new Airs come in small boxes which are shipped within larger cartons. My refurb came in just a large carton with foam inserts to hold it and the accessories in place. It seemed odd when I received it but I'm not complaining since it saved me $200. Seems the "out of box experience" isn't as important to Apple for refurbished units. :)

b-rad g
Feb 4, 2011, 06:59 PM
Mine came in absolutely perfect condition! Not a single blemish and is AMAZING! Definitely recommend buying refurb if looking to save money.

MacRumorUser
Feb 4, 2011, 07:13 PM
Returns are not necessarily repaired devices.

More often than not, they are brand new stock that was returned due to client changing their mind or an over Oder from business with cancelled units.

You should never receive a scratched device.

The only real difference between Refurb is the cost and the plain brown box.

olisones
Feb 4, 2011, 07:19 PM
I swear by refurbs. I've had an iMac, Macbook Pro and various other machines via the refurb store and all have been perfect. Plus I've saved $$$! I'm looking to get a 11" MBA via this method in the next few weeks.

Jman14
Feb 4, 2011, 08:13 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Returns are not necessarily repaired devices.

More often than not, they are brand new stock that was returned due to client changing their mind or an over Oder from business with cancelled units.

You should never receive a scratched device.

That's what I was thinking, half of them just paid the restocking fee and upgraded to a better model. Deffinatly the base models of both 11" and 13".

bowlerman625
Feb 4, 2011, 08:18 PM
My RevC MBA was a refurb. In perfect shape in every way. Looked new to me when it came out of the box. I would have bought refurb with the 11.6 MBA but could not wait............

KPOM
Feb 4, 2011, 08:30 PM
That's what I was thinking, half of them just paid the restocking fee and upgraded to a better model. Deffinatly the base models of both 11" and 13".

I wonder what Apple's new return policies (no more restocking fee) will mean for discounts on refurbished models in the future?

TheRealDamager
Feb 4, 2011, 08:38 PM
Every Apple refurb I've ordered has been perfect - you would be hardpressed to tell if from a new unit.

bowlerman625
Feb 5, 2011, 01:25 PM
Every Apple refurb I've ordered has been perfect - you would be hardpressed to tell if from a new unit.

As I read this thread, that is what I was thinking. Then I got to your post.

My words exactly! Refurbs from Apple are excellent!

PBF
Feb 5, 2011, 02:49 PM
+ no in-store availability for instant gratification, which sucks. :D

Christopher387A
Feb 6, 2011, 11:54 AM
+ no in-store availability for instant gratification, which sucks. :D

That's one of my main selling points for in store purchases. Haha :D

GizmoDVD
Feb 6, 2011, 12:29 PM
At $1100 with tax and shipping...might as well just spend an extra $20-40 and get a new one at Amazon (free shipping and typically no tax).

Buck987
Feb 6, 2011, 12:43 PM
At $1100 with tax and shipping...might as well just spend an extra $20-40 and get a new one at Amazon (free shipping and typically no tax).

yes...good idea... only drawback is that Amazon does not really carry 4gig models at good prices.

R739
Feb 6, 2011, 12:51 PM
I have purchase Refurbished,the unit was prefect nothing wrong with it. Only thing is you dont get is the nice fancy box that you would if purchase brand new...

GizmoDVD
Feb 6, 2011, 01:01 PM
yes...good idea... only drawback is that Amazon does not really carry 4gig models at good prices.

True. The 256GB/2GB Ram is 1520. The Refurn price is 1350. Only 180 difference...but not paying shipping or tax the new one is just a wee bit more.

I'm still deciding.

hfg
Feb 6, 2011, 01:35 PM
Try B&H Photo and Video ... they often have maxed out Macs available and no sales tax (except NY). They don't discount them, but neither does anyone else. But they do carry the BTO models.

They carry 4GB Airs (six versions in stock, 13" and 11"):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=macbook+air+4gb&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

-howard

Undo Redo
Feb 6, 2011, 02:48 PM
I got the 13" base model refurbished from Apple. Tax included, free shipping, it was $1131. Amazon wasn't even close at $1249.

kettlecorn
Feb 6, 2011, 02:50 PM
Everything that you can see or feel is replaced on a refurb mac so that includes the screen, keyboard, touchpad, the entire body. So there shouldn't be any scratches. Mine felt and smelt the same as one I would pick up in the store.

Undo Redo
Feb 6, 2011, 03:11 PM
Everything that you can see or feel is replaced on a refurb mac so that includes the screen, keyboard, touchpad, the entire body.
Um, I kinda doubt that. Where did you hear it?

Buck987
Feb 6, 2011, 03:53 PM
Everything that you can see or feel is replaced on a refurb mac so that includes the screen, keyboard, touchpad, the entire body. So there shouldn't be any scratches. Mine felt and smelt the same as one I would pick up in the store.

this is not true...only defective parts are replaced after secondary testing....not all parts you can touch.

kettlecorn
Feb 6, 2011, 04:00 PM
this is not true...defective parts are replaced after secondary testing.
I never said defective parts weren't replaced or not tested.

I called Apple's service and warranty dept. Defective parts are replaced and tested AND all parts that the user can see or touch are replaced and then sealed. Maybe there was a change in the policy but i bought my refurb MBP jan 2011 and it can BRAND NEW. The keyboard, screen, touchpad and the entire body was brand new. The inside was clean and new as well but who knows about what was replaced or not replaced.

Buck987
Feb 6, 2011, 04:28 PM
I never said defective parts weren't replaced or not tested.

I called Apple's service and warranty dept. Defective parts are replaced and tested AND all parts that the user can see or touch are replaced and then sealed. Maybe there was a change in the policy but i bought my refurb MBP jan 2011 and it can BRAND NEW. The keyboard, screen, touchpad and the entire body was brand new. The inside was clean and new as well but who knows about what was replaced or not replaced.

I refer to only defective parts being replaced....being told that all parts that are touched is not true....I'm sure your were told this but it is not a correct statement by whomever made it.

marzxbarz
Feb 6, 2011, 04:39 PM
My refurb came with 2 or 3 battery cycles already on the MBA. They did reset the life cycle of the computer back to the day that it was ready to be sold as a refurb.

kettlecorn
Feb 6, 2011, 06:34 PM
I refer to only defective parts being replaced....being told that all parts that are touched is not true....I'm sure your were told this but it is not a correct statement by whomever made it.
Any evidence to support your statement? I'm not saying youre wrong so don't misconstrue my asking as a rebuttal. But I'm more inclined to believe a rep from apples warranty and service line who reassured me multiple times than a random post on the net. My refurb purchase from apple was in line with what I was told. Dell and hp refurbs are a different story.

GizmoDVD
Feb 6, 2011, 06:50 PM
I got the 13" base model refurbished from Apple. Tax included, free shipping, it was $1131. Amazon wasn't even close at $1249.

So your tax % is what, 2.9/3%? It's 8%+ in California, so for $1,100 we are looking at around $90. Add in shipping (comparable) and it's only a wee bit more for a brand new one from Amazon.

Undo Redo
Feb 6, 2011, 07:07 PM
deleted

axu539
Feb 6, 2011, 07:08 PM
So your tax % is what, 2.9/3%? It's 8%+ in California, so for $1,100 we are looking at around $90. Add in shipping (comparable) and it's only a wee bit more for a brand new one from Amazon.

The refurb discount is usually around 15% for current gen models. At 8 or 9% tax, the refurb will still be around 7% cheaper. This works out to a little over $100 difference for the MBAs, which is still a pretty hefty chunk of cash.

Undo Redo
Feb 6, 2011, 07:14 PM
Is your state sales tax 8%? My local tax including town, county and state sales tax is 8.5% but Apple only charged me the state tax of 3%. I suppose that's because Apple doesn't do business in my town or county. I really don't know, but my refurbished computer was lots cheaper than buying new from Amazon or any other reseller.

Buck987
Feb 6, 2011, 07:45 PM
Any evidence to support your statement? I'm not saying youre wrong so don't misconstrue my asking as a rebuttal. But I'm more inclined to believe a rep from apples warranty and service line who reassured me multiple times than a random post on the net. My refurb purchase from apple was in line with what I was told. Dell and hp refurbs are a different story.

You can believe what you wish. But maybe you should read this.

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/apple_certified.html

No where does it mention new parts. It mentions cleaning what is there.

If they were given new exterior parts why give them new serial numbers.

Why need to clean them if they are given all new exterior parts?

You were given incorrect info.

kettlecorn
Feb 6, 2011, 08:46 PM
You can believe what you wish. But maybe you should read this.

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/apple_certified.html

No where does it mention new parts. It mentions cleaning what is there.

If they were given new exterior parts why give them new serial numbers.

Why need to clean them if they are given all new exterior parts?

You were given incorrect info.

I can say the same to you. "you can believe what you want". Everyone believes what they want. It doesnt change the facts.

So far you have given me no evidence other than your assumptions based on that weblink. To answer your questions: "Cleaning" is done regardless, even on new models. The inside can have dust and all sorts of stuff in it. Even if given new parts, a cleaning is a must if you want to charge almost as much as a new product.

Secondly, they are given a new serial AND model number because they are sold refurbs. That is a way to track for them which ones are refurbs and which ones are not. Refurb MBPs start with FC while new ones are branded with MC. If they were to sell it with the same serial number and model number, that would be selling it off as a "new" product which isnt right. Otherwise, why have refurbs in the first place?

I spoke directly to an Apple rep before about this issue. I also have purchased a refurbished MBP within the past month. You have yet to say if you even talked to one or purchased a refurb before and present no tangible evidence other than your adamancy that I was misinformed.
I also, JUST to double check called Apple's line again 5 minutes ago and spoke to a rep and they did confirm that EVERYTHING that can be seen or touched is replaced.

And just to go the extra mile, I went on Apple's live chat and asked them SPECIFICALLY and took screen shots.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy149/pancakeplease/Screenshot2011-02-06at62524PM.png

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy149/pancakeplease/Screenshot2011-02-06at62531PM.png

I still could be wrong but as it stands, my argument is more strongly supported than yours. I can really care less what you believe but Im a big proponent of buying used and refurbs and if itll help people save some money, glad to be of help.

Buck987
Feb 6, 2011, 08:56 PM
you believe a salesperson? Instead of the policy I took from "that weblink" which happens to be from apples refurb site? No where does that policy mention replacing all touchable parts. Don't you think that would be a great selling point?

Anyway what I told is is correct.

BTW good luck in life my friend if you start believing everything every salesperson tells you. Like the salesman who said the memory is upgradable in the new airs.

Buck987
Feb 6, 2011, 09:12 PM
I agree that buying refurbed is a great way to save money. But to say all components have been replaced is just not true.

kettlecorn
Feb 6, 2011, 09:45 PM
you believe a salesperson? Instead of the policy I took from "that weblink" which happens to be from apples refurb site? No where does that policy mention replacing all touchable parts. Don't you think that would be a great selling point?

Anyway what I told is is correct.

BTW good luck in life my friend if you start believing everything every salesperson tells you. Like the salesman who said the memory is upgradable in the new airs.

Riiight. It wasn't A salesman, it was 3 different reps directly from Apple with 2 different means of communication. I dont know how much clearer you can have it than that. I don't disagree with what the link states but it does not specify. The part where it says that external components aren't replaced doesn't exist, only in your rudimentary reading comprehension and assumption skills.

Btw, when did I or they state that ALL components are replaced? Anything that is seen or touched by the user is restricted to the keyboard, touchpad, screen and body, along with the charger and CDs and the box that the accessories come in. The logic board, memory, harddrive, wireless card, battery, electronics, and so forth are tested and certified but not necessarily replaced. HENCE, it is not completely brand new but refurbished.

I feel like im having a discussion with a 7 year old. Or at least someone who has no higher education or rational thought. I will not be reading or posting to this thread anymore so don't bother with a rebuttal. As long as it helps anyone else out to read this stuff, job done.

lokiju
Feb 6, 2011, 09:50 PM
I was in the process of checking out with a refurb 11" air base model.

I sent over to Amazon just to check out what they had to offer before pulling the trigger though and they have it for $964 for the 11" base. I had my $20 living social gift card still and with free shipping and no tax it only cost me $40 more to get a brand new vs refurb.

Not even a question at that point.

Buck987
Feb 6, 2011, 10:08 PM
Riiight. It wasn't A salesman, it was 3 different reps directly from Apple with 2 different means of communication. I dont know how much clearer you can have it than that. I don't disagree with what the link states but it does not specify. The part where it says that external components aren't replaced doesn't exist, only in your rudimentary reading comprehension and assumption skills.

Btw, when did I or they state that ALL components are replaced? Anything that is seen or touched by the user is restricted to the keyboard, touchpad, screen and body, along with the charger and CDs and the box that the accessories come in. The logic board, memory, harddrive, wireless card, battery, electronics, and so forth are tested and certified but not necessarily replaced. HENCE, it is not completely brand new but refurbished.

I feel like im having a discussion with a 7 year old. Or at least someone who has no higher
education or rational thought. I will not be reading or posting to this thread anymore so don't bother with a rebuttal. As long as it helps anyone else out to read this stuff, job done.

This is my last post also on this...

Your wrong. Simple as that. Screen replaced because you can touch them. So apple just dumps any screen that come back. How ludicrous is that. You know how many iMac screens go back because of the yellowing issues? And Apple just discards them? It an outer component is under specs it is replaced. If not it gets used. Apple the most green friendly company around is just tossing out all these components.

You claim I'm seven since i show you the policy and you give me heresy.

Have you ever spent a day in business in your life?

axu539
Feb 6, 2011, 10:35 PM
Darn. I've been reading these MBA threads all weekend, and a 4 GB 1.4 GHz Air showed up in the refurb store an hour ago. By the time I got to checkout, it disappeared from my cart. People are really watching these like a hawk :(.

Hydrocity
Feb 6, 2011, 11:01 PM
Why does Apple not use the original boxes? Is it just so they can differential reasons, or is it really because the original packaging costs to much money...