Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamalice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
Hi everyone -

I am not exactly the most technologically-able person (far from it) but got a macbook air a while ago. Two problems have emerged and I wondered if anyone had any advice they may kindly be able to offer:

1) The cable port (i.e. where you attach the cable to connect the mac to speakers) has simply stopped working. The laptop's own speaker system is fine - I can play stuff directly from it. And I know the speakers and cable themselves are fully functioning, as they had been connecting to the laptop fine till about 20 mins ago! And they still play from my iPod, so I think it's a problem with the "cable port" (sure this isn't the right terminology!) Any advice on how I might be able to resolve this?

2) Secondly, the plastic tubing that covers the hinge has cracked towards the right outer edge of the tube. This means that the screen is very unstable, continually flops back and forth, and I have to prop the screen up with something behind it. I am worried the screen will even snap off! Can anyone suggest an approximate repair cost for this? An independent technology store quoted me about £120. I thought this was a bit much for what is essentially some labour and a plastic tube.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Thanks,

Alice

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
You'll need to bring it to apple, is it still under warranty? (apple care?).

It's wise to purchase items that have warranty on them if 2nd hand, which I assume it is, because the new MBA models don't have the same hinge as the old version which was susceptible to cracking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.