Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ste5442

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
Hi All,

I need to generate files of 250/500/1000MB for test purposes and they need gombe either jpg or mp3. I know how to create an empty file of specific size but a media app needs to be able to recognise the file as a jpg or mp3 so i guess it needs at least some header info in there?

If anyone can help it really would be appreciated!

Many thanks,

Steven.

PS: Had a look on google and some other forums but no answers :-(

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
What do you mean by "empty"? For example you could create a huge jpeg (say converted from a raw image) but then manually set the width and height via a hex editor to 0. But whatever program you're using might check for this and classify it as an invalid image.

Can you be more specific on what you're trying to test?

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
You could just create a NSImage, set its rectangle, and write its bitmap imagerep to a file as a jpeg (if you know how to use Cocoa).

wlh99

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2008
250MB/500MB/or 1000MB is not empty. Do you need to create the file pragmatically, or just create them somehow to use as test data to test a program?

For the JPG, I would create a huge file new image in photoshop or a similar image editor, apply some noise filter so it won't compress easily, then set the dimensions of the image until I got the desired file size.

For the mp3, maybe just start recording in garage band and let is sit overnight? Or create a file with one of the included loops that is 24 or 48 hours long? Not sure as I don't use garage band.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.