PDA

View Full Version : Camera Connection Kit, Canon 7D and RAW?

Mac In School
Feb 5, 2011, 03:56 PM
Someone posted the same thing I want to do on the Apple store, and the question has gone unanswered. I'm just going to paste because he describes what I want to do perfectly:

Here is what I'd like to do.

1. Shoot RAW on my Canon 7D camera
2. Transfer the unmodified RAW images to the iPad for viewing (using this connection kit)
3. Discard unwanted shots on the iPad
4. Connect the iPad and import the remaining (unmodified) RAW images into Aperture 3

If this procedure works, then I can avoid the step of camera-to-Aperture3 import.

I just don't want to lose any quality along the way.

Anyone know if this can be done?

Thanks.

Muscleflex
Feb 5, 2011, 06:02 PM
Why can't you just transfer from camera straight to computer if that's what you're gonna do in the end anyway?

I've never used aperture sadly but i'm part of a beta group that's testing out an iPad - Lightroom sync app on the iPad. So far so good!

Mac In School
Feb 5, 2011, 07:02 PM
Why can't you just transfer from camera straight to computer if that's what you're gonna do in the end anyway.

I was thinking it would be a good way to free up space on my CF card when I'm on long vacations, and a nice way to review each day's pics at the end of day. Also a way to weed out the bad shots day-by-day. A much less daunting task than waiting and doing them all at once when I get home.

I have an iMac, so I don't take a computer with me when I travel.

deeddawg
Feb 5, 2011, 08:00 PM
Doubtful that there's a good ipad solution for this.

Can you not just connect the 7D to the hotel room tv via the hdmi port and review your shots that way, deleting those that don't make the cut?

My personal philosophy is never to delete from a memory card until there's a full backup; and the daunting task of all the editing after a trip helps me to use some discretion and avoid the all to easy ten shots of everything instead of thinking the shot through before pressing the shutter release.

Mac In School
Feb 5, 2011, 08:23 PM
So you're saying that what I want to do is not possible? Is it just the deleting that's not possible, or do I lose my RAW format when I go from iPad to computer?

markupstart
Feb 5, 2011, 09:07 PM
So you're saying that what I want to do is not possible? Is it just the deleting that's not possible, or do I lose my RAW format when I go from iPad to computer?

Here is a link that should answer your question

http://www.macworld.com/article/151911/2010/06/cameraconnection_workflow.html

deeddawg
Feb 5, 2011, 09:11 PM
http://www.macworld.com/article/151911/2010/06/cameraconnection_workflow.html

Nice link. Good info.

stoplis
Feb 18, 2011, 09:51 AM
I've been using my iPad with the camera kit to quickly review my photos (Sony RAW) and I couldn't be happier with it. It's much better to view them on the bigger screen that you can zoom in.

peeaanuut
Feb 23, 2011, 12:38 AM
I do this exact process when in the field. I unload the memory card onto the iPad to do a quick review and a little bit larger chimping. I have enough cards so that I wont have to delete from them even on a long vacation but this is easier to carry around than even my macbook. Now if I had the 64GB I would use it to unload maybe but I only have a 16GB and shoot Raw+JPEG so my 8GB cards fill up fast as would the iPad. You wont loose the raw and depending on how you manage them on my mac (iPhoto, Aperture, etc) you will be able to import them very easily.