Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cootersgarage6

Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
I know that Apple has a iPad.. and a MacBook Air... But don't you think they need a net-book?
The iPad is a tablet- it really doesn't come close to a tablet to me.. It is powerful and all, but it runs iOS.. they didn't even add a new operating system.
The Macbook air is also not a net-book. Apple refereed to it as a "Macbook in every sense of the way".... That's not a net-book, and if it was, then, umm... they need to remove that price tag of $1,000.
Be serious, don't you think that a lesser laptop or a macbook mini/net-book should be introduced? also for a cheaper price tag? then everyone would have a mac... Lol After all, they are obsessed with making everything smaller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 28, 2010
located
Come on, one thread is enough.
Seems Apple is losing customers every new quarter, as their quarterly results seem to indicate. One quarter after the other they announce less and less sales of Macs. Apple should really do something about that and cater to the dumber masses.

Do you think someone will call you that T word?

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
I know that Apple has a iPad.. and a MacBook Air... But don't you think they need a net-book?
The iPad is a tablet- it really doesn't come close to a tablet to me.. It is powerful and all, but it runs iOS.. they didn't even add a new operating system.
The Macbook air is also not a net-book. Apple refereed to it as a "Macbook in every sense of the way".... That's not a net-book, and if it was, then, umm... they need to remove that price tag of $1,000.
Be serious, don't you think that a lesser laptop or a macbook mini/net-book should be introduced? also for a cheaper price tag? then everyone would have a mac... Lol After all, they are obsessed with making everything smaller.

The macbook air (especially the 11") can be considered a netbook. Not only that, it can be considered as the world's most powerful netbook (together with alienware m11x).
The price tag is kinda normal if you consider the air's capabilities. Oh and Apple doesn't really like cheap products , they want money :)

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Come on, one thread is enough.
Seems Apple is losing customers every new quarter, as their quarterly results seem to indicate. One quarter after the other they announce less and less sales of Macs. Apple should really do something about that and cater to the dumber masses.

Do you think someone will call you that T word?

+1

Was it really necessary to start 3 threads in the span of like 10 minutes?

All with terrible grammer to boot...

cootersgarage6

Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Ok?

So? the Macbook air is a net-book kind of.... I said that. Lol....

But I'm saying they should have a REAL net-book, but just a down sized Mac-Book... Isn't really a net-book, Apple says it's not... But, It kind of is...

This is what I am getting at, A NET-BOOK that other people can get, not just the people that want to spend a thousand on a Macbook that's thinner.. I mean a netbook, netbook.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 28, 2010
located
+1

Was it really necessary to start 3 threads in the span of like 10 minutes?

All with terrible grammer to boot...

Look at that guy's signature. Capitalisation is not his strong suit.

This is what I am getting at, A NET-BOOK that other people can get, not just the people that want to spend a thousand on a Macbook that's thinner.. I mean a netbook, netbook.
You mean a cheap piece of plastic?
Apple offers the iPad which even cannibalises netbook sales. Why should they go into another market when they created a new one and erode the market you want them to get into?

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge

A computer is defined more by its specs and less by the price, so what is the spec-wise difference between a MBA 11" and a net-book?

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
won't happen. netbooks are based on size which the air already accomplishes. also to a lesser degree low cost. apple wont go there because they'd have to sacrifice too much hardware-wise to make it affordable which would negatively impact their user experience, which they hold above all else.

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2009
won't happen. netbooks are based on size which the air already accomplishes.

No they aren't, they are based on their ability to only be useful for the Internet, hence the term NETbook. Even the newer better ones can only be useful for streaming movies from the internet.

The Air is only a netbook in size, not function or cost. It meets 1 out of 3 requirements.

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
ipad_netbook.jpg

Though there's probably some debate around the terminology, I believe the gadget blog consensus for the category is "ultraportable". Lenovo, Sony also have ultraportable offerings that are similar spec-wise to MBA.

Though they still run "clunky old PC software".. :)

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2009
A computer is defined more by its specs and less by the price, so what is the spec-wise difference between a MBA 11" and a net-book?

Air is to powerful really. The CPU is to fast and the GPU is the fastest integrated made right now, ability to hold lots of music, aka over 64GB or storage). Also its priced about 4-500 out of the market.

The airs closest competitor is the Alienware m11x, and that has a faster CPU(1.7GHz C2D or Corei5 for under $999), faster GPU(nvidia 335), 4GB ram upgradeable to 8, and 320GB of storage, backlit keyboard. So even at $999 the Air isn't even the FASTEST in it's market. It's just the smallest.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
The MBA is a netbook, just slightly upscale. At least the 11" version is anyhow. Add on the Apple name, and there you have the explanation of the doubled price.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA

Sorry to tell you but, the 11-inch MacBook Air is a netbook basically. Think about it: Small screen, no CD Drive, Small HD. It's like every other netbook except it runs MAC OSX software, and its extremely expensive.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
The MBA is a netbook, just slightly upscale. At least the 11" version is anyhow. Add on the Apple name, and there you have the explanation of the doubled price.

Sorry to tell you but, the 11-inch MacBook Air is a netbook basically. Think about it: Small screen, no CD Drive, Small HD. It's like every other netbook except it runs MAC OSX software, and its extremely expensive.

This. Apples already got a netbook son.

aCondor

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2010
United States
Troll. There I said it. Now stop responding to these threads, let them die, and get ready to watch the SuperBowl! I'm going to watch it on my netbook at Starbucks with everyone else.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom

No, It is not a Netbook, in ANY sense of the word. It is a high-end ultraportable, which have been around for a lot longer than netbooks (Sony have had one for years, as have several others - I certainly remember using a ultra-portable 12" (I think, possibly 11") VAIO years ago, and Apple had the PowerBook Duos back in the day. A Netbook is an underpowered computer for basic basic tasks (These days meaning a Single-Core CPU, <32GB SSD or <320GB HDD, and a LOW-RESOLUTION (1024*600 or so) screen, and Windows 7 Starter/LINUX Variant - That Windows edition can only run 3 things at a time for petes sake, even with LINUX youd struggle to get on a par with OS X for certain software). An ultraportable is what the Air is: Dual 1.4Ghz CPU Cores, 64GB SSD (lowest-end), with most getting 128GB or 256GB, High-Resolution smaller screen (1366*768), (1024*600 is a terrible resolution, but it seems to be what most of them use), and more than 1GB RAM (2GB is the lowest they ship with). I bought a 11" MBA recently, and it is one heckva lot better than any netbook ive used, which stands at about 5 so far, and will likely stay that way unless I have to upgrade or fix anymore of them , and is also a lot more powerful (1.4Ghz Core 2 Duo beats the pants off a 1.83Ghz Single-Core Atom, and this is in real-usage for Application Development and Code Compilation, as well as the benchmarks).

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
Quote:
Originally Posted by alust2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFanatic10

If I was in the market for a Netbook ... it would be the 11" Air

by far the best Netbook money can buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.