PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV 3. What to expect?

cootersgarage6
Feb 5, 2011, 11:52 PM
What are you expecting form the 3rd Generation Apple TV. Personally, I think they need to add some type of hard drive, because it's ridiculous that you have to have your computer on the same network, and you can't close the laptop if you are on one, so the remote starts screwing with the Mac and the Apple TB, and also iTunes must be on at the same time when on the Apple TV is on.. I think that they should add a hard drive back to it so that it could function some-what with this...
Another question is, why did the first Apple TV have a Intel Chip in it.? Lol

Also, what's this talk about the Apple TV app store?

Intell
Feb 5, 2011, 11:58 PM
Another question is, why did the first Apple TV have a Intel Chip in it.?

Because the Apple TV G1 run a slimmed down version of Mac OS X 10.4.8/Tiger.

Apple will not add a hard drive back to the Apple TV. They got it the current size and they won't make it bigger. If anything they'll add more flash storage to it.

Bye Bye Baby
Feb 6, 2011, 01:10 AM
I would like it to work.

Unfortunately it really doesn't do what a lot of people would like it to do.

For me, it needs more media management options- like Plex does for videos etc.

And not just iTunes compatible, but with all my media.

phairphan
Feb 6, 2011, 07:30 AM
...and you can't close the laptop if you are on one, so the remote starts screwing with the Mac...

You can pair a remote to a Mac (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1619) so this won't happen.

iMJustAGuy
Feb 6, 2011, 09:13 AM
Retina display. :p

joehahn
Feb 6, 2011, 09:34 AM
3D blu-ray support, sandy bridge cpu, cappuccino maker, and all of your wildest dreams.

Dimwhit
Feb 6, 2011, 12:26 PM
I don't think we'll see a hardware update to the ATV anytime soon. Just software. It's a streaming device, and I suspect Apple will keep it that way, so there just isn't much that needs to be added.

powerman
Feb 6, 2011, 01:24 PM
In 1.5 to 2.5 years I think we will see an upgrade to an a5 chip and an increase in flash to 16 gb, but not much else. If the iphone/ipod/ipad are using the a6 chip then it will likely make its way into the atv. The inner parts of the atv are basically the inside of the ipad with not much memory. As stated above expect to see a lot more software updates to come first. There is a lot of potential for this device through its existing hardware. It is not on the same playing field as most apple products as far as a money maker, and the money it is making comes through the itunes store.
As far as what I would like to see in the atv 3 is a regular usb port and an itunes app built in so we can have an external hard drive and not have to have a computer running all the time. Plus an app store.

BeachChair
Feb 6, 2011, 01:43 PM
A5 and apps, please.

OllyW
Feb 6, 2011, 01:43 PM
A long wait.

kas23
Feb 6, 2011, 01:44 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet, but I think we'll see a camera in it so we can do FaceTime or Skype on our HDTVs.

And I don't think we'll have to wait 2-3 years for the next update. Apple will add a small update each year, just enough to justify people to spend $99 each year - which is not much.

kiranmk2
Feb 6, 2011, 03:29 PM
I'd bet on an upgrade when the App store comes out. That way they can combine the A5 chip with more flash memory to hold more Apps (2nd gen owners will have a few GBs of spare flash to install some apps).The next gen CPU/GPU will cope with 1080p - even if iTunes content remains 720p, airplay will enable streaming 1080p from a variety of sources. If only Apple would upgrade the video output to 1080p. Even £30 DVD-upscalers can upscale to 1080p!

emaja
Feb 6, 2011, 04:13 PM
...and you can't close the laptop if you are on one, so the remote starts screwing with the Mac...

SysPrefs -> Security -> General -> "Disable remote control infrared receiver"

Your Mac will no longer respond to the ATV remote - or any remote for that matter.

Omne666
Feb 6, 2011, 05:20 PM
Retina display. :p

Multi Touch gestures!! :D

Dalton63841
Feb 6, 2011, 05:26 PM
My biggest gripe with the aTV is that it is primarily paid services(iTunes rental, netflix) and a dance through menus for your local library.

If it were the other way around, as in the main menus are for my iTunes library, and a menu to get to iTunes rentals and netflix, I would buy one.

goobot
Feb 6, 2011, 09:31 PM
Apple needs a touch based remote, app store, and more features that interact with the tv part of the tv. Almost like what google did.

karsten
Feb 6, 2011, 10:33 PM
1080p would be the big thing IMO. maybe itunes would start supporting that too.

ruralguy
Feb 7, 2011, 02:00 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet, but I think we'll see a camera in it so we can do FaceTime or Skype on our HDTVs.

It would have to be an x-ray camera to work from my a/v cupboard ;)

Seamaster
Feb 7, 2011, 04:17 AM
Apple needs a touch based remote.

That'd be your iPhone (http://www.apple.com/itunes/remote/), son.

karsten
Feb 7, 2011, 07:28 AM
It would have to be an x-ray camera to work from my a/v cupboard ;)

you have glass doors? how does your remote work? mine barely works line-of-sight :rolleyes:

OllyW
Feb 7, 2011, 07:36 AM
you have glass doors? how does your remote work? mine barely works line-of-sight :rolleyes:

You can use the iOS Remote App which uses wi-fi so works without line-of-sight.

karsten
Feb 7, 2011, 07:39 AM
You can use the iOS Remote App which uses wi-fi so works without line-of-sight.

ah. i need my morning coffee :cool:

mstrze
Feb 7, 2011, 07:49 AM

And I don't think we'll have to wait 2-3 years for the next update. Apple will add a small update each year, just enough to justify people to spend $99 each year - which is not much.

Disagree with everything you have said. Having a camera in ATV will be useless. Think about location of the ATV box (is yours currently in a location ideal for doing FaceTime?), lighting in your viewing room...your proximity to camera...etc. FaceTime with an AppleTV would be a difficult proposition at best.

And there is no reason for Apple to want to re-sell new ATV boxes to their current owners each year. It's the iTunes content that they are making money on. It will be at least 18 months from now before a hardware refresh for AppleTV. I have had my AppleTV for 3 years now and Apple has made hundreds off sales and rentals from me in that time without an upgrade. They've priced it as cheaply as they did to bring more people into the ecosystem.

I do feel that 1080p (if only to work with your current iTunes content) and Apps are on the horizon...maybe before the year is out?

powerman
Feb 7, 2011, 08:15 AM
I could see facetime on your iphone/ipad that can airplay the video to your tv while keeping your camera on your iphone. All it needs is a software update.

HobeSoundDarryl
Feb 7, 2011, 09:22 AM
Disagree with everything you have said. Having a camera in ATV will be useless. Think about location of the ATV box (is yours currently in a location ideal for doing FaceTime?), lighting in your viewing room...your proximity to camera...etc. FaceTime with an AppleTV would be a difficult proposition at best.

While I can buy much of what you say here, there are those who may position THEIR :apple:TV in an appropriate spot (right above or right below the screen) to make this work reasonably well. This lone feature would compete against products like this: http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Supplies-Accessories/Televisions/Plasma-TV-Accessories/Communications-Camera/model.TY-CC10W.O_11002_7000000000000005702#tabsection which are often priced at or ABOVE :apple:TV pricing, though the latter comes with all those other benefits.

Besides, if the circuit board is closely connected to the iDevice line, and the iDevice line is all going with a facetime camera, it might be a "might as well" feature to include. Would I use it? Probably not. But if someone else would enjoy the feature, my view of such stuff should not make their view useless/foolish/etc. They want what they want.

Myself, I hope for the same big 3 many have longed for for several years now:

1080p capability (with or without iTunes content to feed it). Apple can't defeat the "bag of hurt" if this falls short on the fundamentals of best picture (& sound). If it gets toe-to-toe with BD quality, those interested in maximizing what their HDTV's (and sound systems) can do will have a genuine option. And those happy with 720p can still get every bit of the 720p experience rendered on the hardware capable of a bit more than 720p. That's win:win for everyone, rather than trying to make the 1080p'ers like it as Apple wants to serve it up. I know, I know: bandwidth, "the chart", storage, higher prices, blah, blah, blah. This wish does not force anything on the usual cheerleaders happy with things "as is". It just makes the next generation device appeal to a market that wants a bit more than "as is" to at least be built in.
app store (so that third parties can extend functionality without jailbreak requirements) If Apple wants to keep seeing this as a hobby- thus low priority- let the third parties invest the time & talent to lift it out of hobby status. No big loss to Apple, but huge win for consumers and third parties interested in making this thing go. Apple also wins by selling more units, which then drives more rentals of iTunes content. Who doesn't win with an app store?
an open hardware option such as normalizing the USB port (so that third parties could fulfill other wishes that Apple seems to ignore; for example, some want DVR-like options which would be a natural for companies like Elgato to fulfill. Some want this to double as a BD player, so a third party could deliver an add on to let it do that for those individuals that want that particular feature. Etc). This doesn't force DVR or BD features- and related costs- on everyone, but does make this little box an interesting alternative to those who might be thinking they want to buy a DVR or BD player (get this thing from Apple and kill 2 birds with one stone). Apple wins (sells more units). Third parties win with some new ways to bring what they do to market. Consumers (with discrete needs) win. Don't do this, and DVR and BD, etc buyer's cash goes for other devices that can't rent/buy iTunes content, and further strengthens BD's hold as THE lone mainstream choice for best quality picture & sound.

Personally, I'd also like that third wish to include an Apple-endorsed option to attach whatever size USB hard drive one chooses, which could then act as local storage (reviving this particular benefit from generation 1 in an even better way). Those happy with streaming everything would be completely unaffected. But those who would like local storage could get what they want (too).

I also favored the last incarnation of gen 1 navigation to this new one's navigation. That last gen made our content prominent (first entry) in dedicated menus for movies, tv shows, music, podcasts, etc. IMO, it would have been much better to perfectly replicate THAT nav and add in the (new) Netflix option than to make the changes that were made, relegating the content we own to a lone menu. I know, I know: it's all about motivating the rental of iTunes store content, but I thought Apple was all about a "wow" user experience. IMO, the new "experience" is not as good as the old "experience" except for how the new hardware seems a bit faster than the old (ancient) hardware.

mstrze
Feb 7, 2011, 12:33 PM
While I can buy much of what you say here, there are those who may position THEIR :apple:TV in an appropriate spot (right above or right below the screen) to make this work reasonably well. This lone feature would compete against products like this: http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Supplies-Accessories/Televisions/Plasma-TV-Accessories/Communications-Camera/model.TY-CC10W.O_11002_7000000000000005702#tabsection which are often priced at or ABOVE :apple:TV pricing, though the latter comes with all those other benefits.

But Darryl, wouldn't you agree that in order to make an AppleTV-based FaceTime work, Apple would need to make the ATV much larger to accomodate a proper camera and microphones? That product you linked to is a good twice as tall and 4-times as wide as the current ATV. Having it linked through another iDevice would work for FT...but then what's the point since those devices will all be doing FT natively anyway. Being close enough to the HDTV (and ATV)mounted on the wall (for most folks) to be seen and heard would be tough.

Current FaceTime relies on a face within a couple of feet of the camera and mic...a luxury one wouldn't have in a living room.

bozzykid
Feb 7, 2011, 01:28 PM
But Darryl, wouldn't you agree that in order to make an AppleTV-based FaceTime work, Apple would need to make the ATV much larger to accomodate a proper camera and microphones? That product you linked to is a good twice as tall and 4-times as wide as the current ATV. Having it linked through another iDevice would work for FT...but then what's the point since those devices will all be doing FT natively anyway. Being close enough to the HDTV (and ATV)mounted on the wall (for most folks) to be seen and heard would be tough.

Current FaceTime relies on a face within a couple of feet of the camera and mic...a luxury one wouldn't have in a living room.

There are plenty of cameras that can mount of tvs that are able to process sound from 10-20 feet away fairly well. And I don't agree that adding a camera to the apple tv would add that much size to the device. However, it just doesn't make any sense from a logistics point of view. Most ATVs aren't located in a place that would work for Facetime. For a living room this means either directly on top of the TV or right below it (with the ability to angle the lense). A wireless facetime camera for HDTVs that could be found on the network by a ATV to handle the facetime calls would be a better solution.

HobeSoundDarryl
Feb 7, 2011, 02:48 PM
bozzykid basically covered the technical answer to the question (and I included a link to a thin device to attached to an LCD HDTV from Panasonic that would have to endure the very same perceived challenges of distance, etc.) I don't think there is a tech-based limitation to being able to do this. There are certainly location-based issues (for those who choose to store it away from roughly center of the screen, above or below it). But this was about a next-gen :apple:TV and something someone shared as of interest to them (I'm not much interested in this feature myself).

I can say that I had a dial-up based box about the size of the :apple:TV in 1998 or so which could connect with the same box at the other end of the connection. Quality was not great, but it was (pseudo) video conferencing on the cheap using 2 TVs (no computers) and a small set-top box. If you want to communicate that way using TVs, you find a spot for the cameras that works well for you.

These days, most HDTVs require a stand if you aren't hanging them on a wall. Stands usually have shelves or at least the platform on which the TV itself sits. If so, this :apple:TV with a facetime camera could go there (and work well). If the TV is hanging on the wall, someone wanting to do this would need to think about a shelf above or below the TV. OR, they could pay the $160 for the Panasonic solution (or similar for LG, Samsung,etc) to be able to Skype video conference using non-Apple tech.

The point being: if iDevices are going to have the hardware built in anyway, it might be one more "wow" thing to tout in a next generation. Is it something to win over everyone? No. But Facetime is not something that wins over everyone who buys the other devices either. It's just "one more thing" that might win over a few more people, where a few more people on iDevice scales can add up to a lot.

I do recall the happiness that old 1998 device brought to my parents when we were able to video chat through the TV with a small device way back then. Now with broadband on both ends and a panasonic/LG/samsung/etc dedicated device or maybe a gen-3 :apple:TV, lots of other people could get that same joy. If the latter, lots of those other people can get the other joys of an :apple:TV, rather than just a more expensive, dedicated device that does nothing but Skype videocalling.

Again, I'm not personally in love with this particular thing. I just don't think the guy who showed some interest in it is wrong because others think it makes no sense. Last year, I found great fault with the iPad for not also coming with an isight camera. You would think I told someone their kid was ugly or something. It seemed like hundreds of cheerleaders bashed and bashed about how stupid it would be to put a camera in an iPad, etc. A short while later, Apple shows the way forward with Facetime and now I see some of those very same people gushing about how great it will be to have a facetime camera in the new iPad, how they're buying one on day 1, etc. Apparently, people are only wrong about things until Apple shows that they are right... at which point the cheerleaders are quick to flip flop.

Or, on a more personal level, iDevices can do all kinds of stuff I personally never use. But just because some of those applications don't make sense to me doesn't make it wrong for all. If the guy would like THIS iDevice to have a FaceTime camera for his TV, it certainly can't be as bad as me- last year- arguing why the iPad should have an iSight camera for THAT iDevice.

karsten
Feb 7, 2011, 02:57 PM
facetime on the atv3 woudl be great, i'm sure they could do it. the camera wouldnt be that difficult as there's already videoconferencing systems that capture a whole room say a conference room. just put it by the tv and you're good to go.

Tilpots
Feb 7, 2011, 03:04 PM
Airplay + Facetime would solve the camera issue. I highly doubt the ATV would get a camera installed, possible, but unlikely. If you don't have an iDevice for Facetime, well, there's your first problem right there.

powerman
Feb 9, 2011, 07:00 AM
I would like to see a larger remote. My family always lose this one.

jmcrutch
Feb 9, 2011, 07:15 AM
I would like to see a larger remote. My family always lose this one.

You can use almost any remote with the AppleTV2 - it learns the commands you send it, negating the need to use the supplied remote.

powerman
Feb 9, 2011, 08:06 AM
You can use almost any remote with the AppleTV2 - it learns the commands you send it, negating the need to use the supplied remote.

Really any remote can do it, like a sony tv remote?

Dimwhit
Feb 9, 2011, 09:26 AM
Really any remote can do it, like a sony tv remote?

I think any programmable remote can run it.

emaja
Feb 9, 2011, 11:55 AM

I use my Harmony One with it. Works perfectly and the codes are in the Logitech database.

Dimwhit
Feb 9, 2011, 12:15 PM
I use my Harmony One with it. Works perfectly and the codes are in the Logitech database.

I have that one, too (or one of the Harmony remotes, anyway). Works great. And man, I love that remote..

EmmEff
Feb 9, 2011, 12:35 PM
I love my ATV2 so I don't want to see an update yet but I think the ATV3 should have forward AND rear facing cameras on top of the Retina display and multitouch gestures mentioned earlier.

Can't have enough cameras :D

blevins321
Feb 9, 2011, 01:30 PM
I could see facetime on your iphone/ipad that can airplay the video to your tv while keeping your camera on your iphone. All it needs is a software update.

Ohhh. That's a cool idea. It would be great especially for the non-iPhone4 customers who don't have the dual cameras. I'm pretty sure I'd use it; especially if it were somehow made iChat compatible (for the other end of the line).

powerman
Feb 9, 2011, 02:30 PM
Ohhh. That's a cool idea. It would be great especially for the non-iPhone4 customers who don't have the dual cameras. I'm pretty sure I'd use it; especially if it were somehow made iChat compatible (for the other end of the line).

If you think that is cool take a look at this thread I just started. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1093835

karsten
Feb 9, 2011, 02:50 PM
I love my ATV2 so I don't want to see an update yet but I think the ATV3 should have forward AND rear facing cameras on top of the Retina display and multitouch gestures mentioned earlier.

Can't have enough cameras :D

and an internal one:) see those e- flowing.

goobot
Feb 12, 2011, 05:17 PM
That'd be your iPhone (http://www.apple.com/itunes/remote/), son.

yes, every one should buy a 600$ limited remote. :rolleyes:

emaja
Feb 12, 2011, 06:17 PM
yes, every one should buy a 600$ limited remote. :rolleyes:

He has an iPod touch.

HMFIC03
Apr 4, 2011, 08:08 PM

I wonder if they just don't make a apple wireless camera or wired "small usb" wired camera the fits the apple tv 2 for face time.

Ieo
Apr 25, 2011, 12:24 PM
My wish list:

-A5

-at least 16gb internal flash to store music and a couple movies locally

-Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora, PBS, BBC, Sports, etc

-1080p. Surround sound in more content

-A remote that doesn't need to be exactly perpendicular to the IR receiving lens and within 10 feet (I have a TERRIBLE time getting any commands to register on my parents' ATV2 w/o standing up and holding the remote exactly straight on). Also, I need more interaction with my TV than a directional pad and a select button.

-Better network connectivity (Even out on the coffee table where my macbook gets perfect wireless reception, the ATV2 fails to see half the nearby networks the macbook can or even reliably connect to closest network which has a perfect signal)

-Snappier, more intuitive navigation

-APP STORE (I want home screen widgets dammit. Weather, Youtube subscriptions, Favorites, etc).

And...maybe....An antenna for OTA broadcasts? Local news and PBS piped through my ATV would be sort of sweet.

DaREdBaRoN
Apr 26, 2011, 04:14 PM

Harmony 900 has built in RF emitter so you can use it through walls and doors

Itv
Apr 27, 2011, 09:22 AM
i am not that good at the technical detail but i am sure many of you are aware of software which hack your apple tv to make it a bit more...shall we say... personal.
personally my MAIN interest is managing open VPN through my apple tv, which i don't yet own but considering, only if i can watch BBC iplayer.
I know patchstick.com will add openVPN soon but not sure how this would work.
anyone can comment on hacking the apple tv?
Any knowledge of ways to stream open VPN content without needing your computer to be on?
Can apple TV have its own IP address?

Rootman
Apr 27, 2011, 10:01 AM
ATV3 will track your location.

Irishman
Apr 27, 2011, 02:10 PM
A5 chip
1080p support
Maybe Thunderbolt port, if they can keep the price down with it.

newagemac
Apr 28, 2011, 12:38 AM

It doesn't have to be a programmable remote. The ATV can actually learn the remote itself. So you can use it with any cheapo non-programmable remote too.

Itv
May 3, 2011, 01:52 PM
any thoughts of WHEN the AT3 will be introduced?

radicalcentrist
May 5, 2011, 08:12 AM

Well, the ATV2 was introduced in September 2010, so my guess is that if they do update it this year, it will be at the standard media event. But if the speculation is correct and that the iPhone 5 won't be selling until Q4, maybe they don't announce much of anything else.

---

For me, the one thing really holding me back from buying the ATV2 is the lack of local (or attachable) storage. I have all my movies and TV on an external, and streaming OTA to a JB ATV2 seems like a lot of fuss, plus Plex needs to stream from a server...since I finally gave up my home iMac and am strictly using an MBA, that's a bit of a hassle. Theoretically, I could plug the external into my Airport Extreme and use XBMC, but I really like Plex.

The one thing I really want is to be able to plug an external HD into the USB port (and have Plex use THAT as the media server).

A boy can dream...

ms7u
May 5, 2011, 11:41 AM
AlthoughI would love to be cable box free - it isn't realistic for me. I hate switching inputs on my TV from HDMI 2 (cable box) to HDMI 3 (Apple TV) and back to HDMI 2 whenever I want to watch from the other device.

I would love to have an HDMI input into the Apple TV that would make my cable box another source from within the Apple TV itself!

Thoughts?

mstrze
May 5, 2011, 12:13 PM

I guess 2013 if you go by the previous frequency of ATV updating. ;)

Dimwhit
May 5, 2011, 12:32 PM
AlthoughI would love to be cable box free - it isn't realistic for me. I hate switching inputs on my TV from HDMI 2 (cable box) to HDMI 3 (Apple TV) and back to HDMI 2 whenever I want to watch from the other device.

Logitech Harmony One Advanced Universal Remote. Pricey, but well worth it to not have to deal with all that mess. Let me remote handle it for you. :)

emaja
May 5, 2011, 12:56 PM

I'm not sure why it is a big deal to switch inputs. With games, DVD players, cable boxes, ATV and such, switching inputs is not something that you will be able to get around.

Harmony remotes with the macros take care of everything with the push of a button.

HobeSoundDarryl
May 5, 2011, 03:43 PM
Good (macro-capable) universal remotes from Universal Remote Control also handle switching inputs just fine. I've had ours programmed for years so that when you enter whatever mode you seek (TV, DVD, AppleTV, etc.) you can click a "setup" button to set everything up for that mode. One click does it all on one remote that runs everything.

Also, if you use a receiver, you can generally pump your video to the TV via one HDMI cable and always leave the TV on the same input setting. However, this still involves switching at the receiver, which is what that "setup" button does on the remote.

Irishman
May 5, 2011, 04:44 PM

I would love to have an HDMI input into the Apple TV that would make my cable box another source from within the Apple TV itself!

Thoughts?

If you can put up with the slow interface, it sounds like the functionality you want already exists in the Tivo Premiere.

britbloke
May 6, 2011, 10:07 AM
I guess 2013 if you go by the previous frequency of ATV updating. ;)I think (and hope!) it maybe different this time round. ATV1 was bascially a slimmed down computer with moving parts, but the ATV2 is bascially an iPhone4 with a few additional outputs.

For Apple to update the ATV once the iphone5 with the A5 chip arrives would be very simple given that they already have the design. All they would need to do is replace the A4 with the A5 and hopefully add in more RAM (ATV2 only has 256 MB RAM).

caligomez
May 6, 2011, 11:19 AM
I think no major hardware change is coming soon (or needed really..)

With the new cloud services coming soon, your home sharing problem is solved.. Just take the ATV@ with you wherever you go, connect to a network, and voilá.. your media is streamed to you, with no need for your laptop, desktop, etc...Yes, you'll need a solid connection for the streaming, but most homes with HDTV's should have them.. Although 1080p would be nice on a local network, it could be a real headache when streaming from the cloud.

So it's all software really.. And even Mr. Jobs has said that the app store for the ATV is eventually coming (probably sooner than later, yay!):D

So i guess I would enjoy seeing iCloud integration, App store, and local 1080p..

And as for Facetime on the ATV2, really??? Are't there enough devices to this from?? I barely use it as is...

Wiijeff
May 22, 2011, 10:57 AM
I would like it to be able to show apple visualiser when I am playing my music. This would need some graphics capability but it is available on competitor music streamers such as xbox and I get bored looking at the album cover. This would make this so much better. In the UK we need to have the BBC iPlayer because we don't get netflix.

Scuby
May 22, 2011, 11:30 AM
I think ATV will get the features that Apple were always planning for it over the next few months once iCloud and iOS5 appear. Why?

- Currently ATV is basically only able to work independently of your Mac when renting movies through iTunes on the ATV. With the predictions for iCloud, the ATV should in theory get access to all of the media you've purchased through iTunes from the internet, without any need for your Mac to be turned on. For me, that will make a massive difference in usability.

- One thing that's been expected is apps on ATV, and iOS5 might be the logical time to introduce those. Again, the ability to have a decent BBC iPlayer app, for example, will make it great.

David

KVH
May 22, 2011, 09:40 PM
Bring back analog audio out so I can listen to music streaming from my computer on my deck (Zone 2 on my receiver) without having to use an optical to analog converter!

And no my receiver does not convert digital to analog for zone 2 (most don't)..... and the ones who do need to be listening to the digital source on the main zone in order to do the conversion.... Analog is still useful in this world of digital!

SAIRUS
May 22, 2011, 10:15 PM
1080p, A5, app store.

smithrh
May 22, 2011, 10:34 PM
1080p, A5, app store.

This, in a nutshell.

jonnysods
May 25, 2011, 10:06 PM
I would love to see the NBA season pass on the Canadian iTunes site!

DurfDiggler
May 27, 2011, 01:04 AM
The obvious:
A5/6
1080p
App store

More specific:
Just enough interal storage for apps. 8gb is plenty for the apps you actually use. I'm most interested in EyeTV (with live or no transcoding). NullRiver MediaLink works okay on PS3, but bad interface (only alpha list of recorded files, no live)

HDMI-CEC, (AnyNet, HDMI control, etc.) Power tv on with atv power, and atv power on when input selected. And the little atv remote is cute and all, but my tv remote is more ergonomic and it has volume control.

BLUETOOTH!!!!! I'm surprised no one has mentioned this! Make that stupid little remote bt, (now hard to aim but could be perfect for your pocket (dj from anywhere). Imagine the possibilities with a bt keyboard and mouse or magic Trackpad!!! Apple tv 1 made your tv and iPod with video, Apple tv 2 makes it a rental/ streaming device... Apple tv 3 could turn your tv into an iPad!!! with iOS safari, mail, etc. Those interactive kid's books would be fun, tooled for gestures on the Magic Trackpad.

I haven't hacked my atv, but I've heard there are apps that let you interface with your iPhone, etc. What if (without jail breaking) there were games that would use the iPhone to control games on your tv. Multipayer with personal info on iPhone. Yeah, just like ps3 and psp, but with 99c games of the month.

DLNA or whatever is needed to play files from a NAS instead of running iTunes on a running puter.

I, like previously mentioned by others, would love the ability to expand via USB. Tv tuner, HDD, webcam. USB Blu-ray drive support would be nice, but BD still isn't supported on full OSX, so keep dreaming for BD on atv.

FaceTime would only make sense with a hardwired external camera, but Apple would only allow it to be an apple cam. Best if it had built in hardware for compression, but if the iPhone can do it, the atv-a5 should be able to handle sd FaceTime. Or just plug in a Kinect! Voice command would be welcome with the webcam, "open Netflix", etc.

I agree that it should have analog audio out. (headphone plug) As mentioned, good for zone 2.

MULTIPLE HOME SHARING!!!!! And TEMPORARY SHARING!!!! FML entering in an apple id with that remote is a pain in the ass! (bt kb!) more important: most homes have more than one apple ID in it, and what if a friend comes over? (first Apple needs to create, then) Allow Quick Share, enter a 4 digit code: slideshow! Video! Music! (I'm happy even if it bans drm'd content, and allows personal photos and videos)

KeithJenner
May 27, 2011, 04:40 AM
MULTIPLE HOME SHARING!!!!! And TEMPORARY SHARING!!!! FML entering in an apple id with that remote is a pain in the ass! (bt kb!) more important: most homes have more than one apple ID in it, and what if a friend comes over? (first Apple needs to create, then) Allow Quick Share, enter a 4 digit code: slideshow! Video! Music! (I'm happy even if it bans drm'd content, and allows personal photos and videos)

Airplay covers this already.

Crimson77
May 27, 2011, 07:49 AM
1080p, A5, app store.

For me too. Thank you. ;)

mikesiegel1
May 27, 2011, 08:58 AM
What are you expecting form the 3rd Generation Apple TV. Personally, I think they need to add some type of hard drive, because it's ridiculous that you have to have your computer on the same network, and you can't close the laptop if you are on one, so the remote starts screwing with the Mac and the Apple TB, and also iTunes must be on at the same time when on the Apple TV is on.. I think that they should add a hard drive back to it so that it could function some-what with this...
Another question is, why did the first Apple TV have a Intel Chip in it.? Lol

Also, what's this talk about the Apple TV app store?

You arent thinking .... Dont you see why the "cloud" is so important. Adding a HD is BACKWARDS compatablitiy. No matter what size they add, its too small for most of us. The "cloud" is always on, and can mirror whatever we deem important, so all of our apps or music, movies, photos, docs, and games are available to us immediately.

The only bottleneck....and there is always a bottleneck somewhere.. is the true internet connection. If Apple mirrors my drives they will find over [B]1 TB of Springsteen live shows alone.

Being from the 70's, I am one of the people who dont understand why my kids
(AGES 27,24,17) love their music, dont dont give a damn how it sounds. They have no interest in my $400. Senheiser earbuds. They are perfectly happy with their $15.00 purple colored buds with animal patterns on them.
They couldnt care less about FLAC vs. Mp3. :(

just a thought

Mike S
New Jersey shore

DurfDiggler
May 27, 2011, 09:01 AM
Airplay covers this already.

Airplay works for iPhone and iTunes, but what about iPhoto? Is that built in with iPhoto 09? I only have 08 or whatever is second to latest.

And again, atv only allows one Home Sharing account at a time.

tripjammer
May 27, 2011, 09:38 AM
I don't think we'll see a hardware update to the ATV anytime soon. Just software. It's a streaming device, and I suspect Apple will keep it that way, so there just isn't much that needs to be added.

The AppleTV 3 will have the Apple A5 chip in it this fall and probably 16 GB of flash storage or more...for the same $99 price...

The Apple TV app store will be announce by end of year...maybe in June...

tripjammer
May 27, 2011, 09:40 AM
The obvious:
A5/6
1080p
App store

More specific:
Just enough interal storage for apps. 8gb is plenty for the apps you actually use. I'm most interested in EyeTV (with live or no transcoding). NullRiver MediaLink works okay on PS3, but bad interface (only alpha list of recorded files, no live)

HDMI-CEC, (AnyNet, HDMI control, etc.) Power tv on with atv power, and atv power on when input selected. And the little atv remote is cute and all, but my tv remote is more ergonomic and it has volume control.

BLUETOOTH!!!!! I'm surprised no one has mentioned this! Make that stupid little remote bt, (now hard to aim but could be perfect for your pocket (dj from anywhere). Imagine the possibilities with a bt keyboard and mouse or magic Trackpad!!! Apple tv 1 made your tv and iPod with video, Apple tv 2 makes it a rental/ streaming device... Apple tv 3 could turn your tv into an iPad!!! with iOS safari, mail, etc. Those interactive kid's books would be fun, tooled for gestures on the Magic Trackpad.

I haven't hacked my atv, but I've heard there are apps that let you interface with your iPhone, etc. What if (without jail breaking) there were games that would use the iPhone to control games on your tv. Multipayer with personal info on iPhone. Yeah, just like ps3 and psp, but with 99c games of the month.

DLNA or whatever is needed to play files from a NAS instead of running iTunes on a running puter.

I, like previously mentioned by others, would love the ability to expand via USB. Tv tuner, HDD, webcam. USB Blu-ray drive support would be nice, but BD still isn't supported on full OSX, so keep dreaming for BD on atv.

FaceTime would only make sense with a hardwired external camera, but Apple would only allow it to be an apple cam. Best if it had built in hardware for compression, but if the iPhone can do it, the atv-a5 should be able to handle sd FaceTime. Or just plug in a Kinect! Voice command would be welcome with the webcam, "open Netflix", etc.

I agree that it should have analog audio out. (headphone plug) As mentioned, good for zone 2.

Voice command is coming in IOS5...Apple TV 3 will have it.

KeithJenner
May 27, 2011, 09:47 AM
Airplay works for iPhone and iTunes, but what about iPhoto? Is that built in with iPhoto 09? I only have 08 or whatever is second to latest.

I'm not sure for the need for multiple home sharing, as everyone in a household can use the same account for home sharing, even if they have their own iTunes account. I suppose that this could be an issue if people wouldn't want their iTunes account password to be known by others, but in that case a separate iTunes account could be set up just for home sharing.

I don't think that Airplay works with iPhoto, but it does with the photo Apps within iOS devices. I haven't done anything with photos on my Apple TV, other than set up a photo screensaver, but aren't slideshows done via home sharing as well. If you have everyone sharing using the same account then wouldn't it work like that?

Personally, I don't think that the Apple TV needs much more functionality with regards to streaming of media from various sources (either with home sharing or Airplay). The problems seems to be more lack of understanding by users than lack of functionality. Simplification of how it works would be better than added features in my opinion.

Javit
May 27, 2011, 10:02 AM
NHL Center Ice and NFL streaming services would be nice. I'd also really like Sirius/XM and Pandora support w/out hacking.

colinmack
May 27, 2011, 12:36 PM
My hopes (all of which should be easily doable - just depends on Apple's vision of the roadmap/future for the device):

- A5 (obviously, may give it a bit of a performance boost)
- 1080p output (even if the iTunes content is only 720p, this prevents quality degradation from double-scaling, where SD content and menus get upscaled to 720p on the device, and then re-scaled by the TV which is likely at 1080p natively - for Pete's sake, even the iPad outputs 1080p)
- App Store (could be seriously game changing with the right initial showcase apps, even if Apple develops them internally)
- cloud storage of iTunes catalog/library (I'm not even concerned about cloud storage of the content, although in some cases it may be handy - I just want to be able to run an Apple TV without having my computer running 24/7, the content can live on a network shared drive, an obvious Time Capsule cross-sell opportunity)
- FaceTime integration via AirPlay and/or USB camera/mic would be a cool bonus

newagemac
May 27, 2011, 03:52 PM

That's not true. You can have multiple Home Sharing accounts available at one time. From the same computer or from different computers.

And on a Mac, it even works when you have an account on a computer that is not active. Not sure about Windows for that feature.

longball11
May 27, 2011, 04:03 PM
There will be no changes. It's useless. Bluray > all

Irishman
May 27, 2011, 04:17 PM

Thoughts?

Oh, or an ATSC tuner for US markets and a PAL tuner for everyone else (I depend on OTA broadcasts). Adding SSD options would give you DVR-class space for recording shows.

cltitus
Jun 1, 2011, 11:05 PM
The new apple tv should be upgraded to:

A5 Chip
1080p Support
More customizable home screen
Maybe at least 4GB Space for apps

It doesn't need FaceTime camera because new tvs are starting to come out with cameras already built it or they are webcam compliant. For those that want dvr support apple isn't going to go that way since appletv really isn't Subscription service.

Just my 2cents

adbe
Jun 2, 2011, 10:32 AM

I don't remember the last time I powered up my BluRay player.

Dimwhit
Jun 2, 2011, 11:17 AM
I don't remember the last time I powered up my BluRay player.

BluRay is a fad. It will die shortly after the DVD.

SuperBrown
Jun 2, 2011, 01:03 PM

I got a bluray player a year ago, I've yet to watch a single bluray disc. It's all about streaming. Optical media is dead.

Cyacene
Jun 2, 2011, 01:46 PM
My wishlist is software only:

iCloud connect - Access to all my content with my computer turned OFF would be huge for me. I hate the way this works right now.

App store - Games (controlled by iphone or ipad) and Channels (Netflix, HBO, Plex)

And I think the UI could use some work. Maybe Widgets or Windows phone Live Tiles would be better.

Che Castro
Jun 3, 2011, 02:14 PM
Im more interested in seeing what ios5 will do for the atv2 rather then the iphone

blevins321
Jun 3, 2011, 02:26 PM
Provocative concept - what if the new iOS Time Capsules are actually a hybrid between the old and new ATV? Like a super duper combined router, ATV, Time Capsule?

MrXiro
Jun 3, 2011, 04:31 PM
The new apple tv should be upgraded to:

A5 Chip
1080p Support
More customizable home screen
Maybe at least 4GB Space for apps

It doesn't need FaceTime camera because new tvs are starting to come out with cameras already built it or they are webcam compliant. For those that want dvr support apple isn't going to go that way since appletv really isn't Subscription service.

Just my 2cents

The Atv2 already has 8gb of flash on it.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/29/apple-tv-teardown-reveals-8gb-flash-storage-256mb-ram/

Ieo
Jun 3, 2011, 11:34 PM
Just give me:

-Full 1080p + 5.1 dolby
-PBS, NPR, BBC, Hulu Plus, NBA, Pandora, and Netflix
-An App store! (I'm thinking basic, IOS-style gaming)
-More local storage for those apps
-A better damn remote that doesn't need to be pointed perfectly to work

Seamaster
Jun 4, 2011, 04:54 AM
A better damn remote that doesn't need to be pointed perfectly to work

Use your iPhone.

kiranmk2
Jun 4, 2011, 05:00 AM
The rumours of iOS-powered time capsules are interesting. Hopefully, this will enable media streaming (to ATVs and computers). It would also make sense to add ATV features to the new TC so you can use it as a combined router/ATV and still add further ATV clients for other TVs.

I also get the feeling that ATV will get the ability to extend/bridge wifi networks and will replace the Airport Express (or the Airport Express will gain HDMI-output and ATV software)

Ieo
Jun 4, 2011, 10:36 AM
Use your iPhone.

I shouldn't need to. Apple products are supposed to work well without such obvious and irritating flaws.

emaja
Jun 4, 2011, 12:33 PM
I shouldn't need to. Apple products are supposed to work well without such obvious and irritating flaws.

It does - with the iPhone.

While I understand your point, don't most people with a lot of A/V equipment use universal remotes anyway? I can't remember the last time I used a remote that was bundled with any of my A/V purchases.

Harmony One FTW!

Che Castro
Jun 4, 2011, 01:07 PM
Steve will announce ATV3 on monday ?

blueroom
Jun 4, 2011, 01:12 PM
All I want is apps and enable the Bluetooth in the ATV2

aduteau
Jun 6, 2011, 09:43 AM
Just give me:

-Full 1080p + 5.1 dolby
-PBS, NPR, BBC, Hulu Plus, NBA, Pandora, and Netflix
-An App store! (I'm thinking basic, IOS-style gaming)
-More local storage for those apps
-A better damn remote that doesn't need to be pointed perfectly to work

What I think is going to be the future of digital TV, is this:

Apps will be the new channels for TV.
Lets say that you start the PBS App, that will let you watch PBS archived episodes, and maybe with a subscription TV Networks will let you LIVE stream the channel + let you use archived shows.

This will be a sort of "a la carte" TV model, with us subscribing to apps and not being tied down to cable contracts.

The app store will be the new way to hand out TV channels, and having a in app purchase or subscription will keep TV broadcasters happy and a new way of making money and all this helping slow down piracy if the price is right !

nutmac
Jun 6, 2011, 04:54 PM
AirPlay Mirroring (for iPad 2) is being added to Apple TV, which makes App Store less important for Apple TV. That said, Apple needs to add more contents into Apple TV, such as Crackle, ESPN, HBO, and Hulu+.

Hardware wise, all Apple TV really needs is 1080p. As much as I would love to have more local storage and other features, Apple wants to keep the price low so that isn't going to happen.

gmans46
Jun 7, 2011, 02:15 PM
nfl sunday ticket would be nice..

spiffyone
Jun 7, 2011, 02:25 PM
The problem with Apple TV is that Apple treats it as a hobby rather than treating it as a truly standalone device.

They got close by cutting the chord with regards to downloading music and video with software updates to the first gen Apple TV.

They kept that up with Apple TV 2 (as to rent and stream you can do it straight from the Apple TV rather than from a Mac/PC).

But now they and some people here see further tethering it to mobile and tablet devices via AirPlay as a "solution".

Here's my outlook on the matter:

AirPlay is NOT the solution for the ills of Apple TV.

It does NOT negate the need for an App Store for Apple TV, because Apple TV needs to be a standalone device. It needs to sell to a wider audience than those currently owning or interested in the mobile and tablet iOS devices. It has to have wide amount of uses WITHOUT those devices.

AirPlay is great for those that own an iPad/Phone/touch, but what about those that don't own those devices but who are interested in streaming media hubs (and, yes, I know it's difficult to understand that there are people out there who don't own nor are interested in owning the mobile or tablet iOS devices, but they exist). AirPlay isn't an "answer" because it effectively decreases the potential userbase for Apple TV which would include those folks I just pointed out.

[QUOTEThat said, Apple needs to add more contents into Apple TV, such as Crackle, ESPN, HBO, and Hulu+.[/QUOTE]

And what better way to do that than via apps?

Instead of Apple securing partnerships to get those onto Apple TV, why not extend the ability for those companies to have their content available via apps.

After all, Apple TV runs iOS, and Hulu and other such digital distributors were or are keen to put their stuff on iPad/Phone/touch. By opening up the App Store to Apple TV, it will automatically get that sort of content. And doing so means it won't need AirPlay for that, which means it might be attractive to those looking for a media hub that aren't don't own or aren't interested in the mobile and tablet iOS devices, as I stated.

spiffyone
Jun 7, 2011, 03:13 PM
AirPlay and use of iOS mobile and tablet devices are NOT a solution for the ills faced Apple TV. As an option it's fine, but they should not be necessary to open up the fullest potential of the device.

The BIG problem with Apple TV is that Apple doesn't really treat it as a standalone device, which is what they have to do to appeal to a wider audience, including those who don't own nor are interested in iPad/Phone/touch but who are interested in a home digital media hub (yes, there are people who don't own the tablet or mobile iOS devices and don't want to, my fellow Apple users).

Let's recap: Apple cut the tether between the 1st gen Apple TV and Mac/PCs by allowing direct streams and downloads to ATV without using Mac/PC. Apple TV immediately was better.

And now people, including apparently the folks at Apple, think AirPlay is a solution when all it does is once again tether ATV to other devices.

WTF?

ATV has to be a standalone unit. And that means it needs to be opened up to apps WITHOUT the use of iPad/Phone/touch and it needs its own section of the App Store.

Opening it up to the App Store would resolve a lot of issues. Hulu+ is available on the App Store. If Apple TV gets access to the App Store, it too will have access to the Hulu+ app and other such apps currently available. It will begin to reach its fullest potential without having use of iPad/Phone/touch be necessary to do so. And that will sell it to a wider audience than it sells to currently.

It also needs a new remote. And, no, iRemote does NOT solve this issue either. Again, it needs to be a standalone device. It needs it's own remote, with use of the iRemote app being optional.

A modification of the Apple patent for a motion sensing remote control (similar to the Wii remote) with the addition on the remote itself of a multitouch surface ala Magic Trackpad would be great. Even better if they take a note from Boxee's remote design and have a recessed keyboard on the other side like so:

http://static.which.net/media/images/in-content/boxee-box-remote-control-with-qwerty-keyboard-242286.jpg

That remote, with motion sensing, multitouch surface, and recessed keyboard, would effectively mimic the use of the iRemote app, but not make it necessary to get the most out of the new ATV with connection to the App Store and it's own apps. It would also make controlling current apps easier.

As far as internal changes, the biggest I'd like to see are NOT using iPad processors, but instead using new processors that will later be used in iPad. So instead of introducing the new processors on iPad first, they'd be introduced for ATV first, with their use in iPad 2 or so years down the road.

ATV should use an A6 processor, not A5. This A6 would be quad core CPU (ARM Cortex A9MP) and quad core GPU (SGX 543MP) on a single chip (SoC). It would then be cut down in clockspeed and number of GPU cores for use in the tablet and mobile iOS devices down the road.

This would give it more graphical power than the mobile and tablets, and make ATV even more of a standalone device with its own special apps. And key among those apps, and key among the growth for this future ATV would be games.

Now, it won't compete with WiiU or PS4 or 720 or whathaveyou. It would be something different. And at $99-149, it would sell a lot more than the current ATV.

Add in the Cloud...and, eventually, not only will it have streaming music, video, and app store apps, but it might also be able to stream truly next gen games ala the OnLive streaming game service (check it out if you haven't already).

...in fact...I really think Apple should buy OnLive.

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 7, 2011, 07:10 PM
...in fact...I really think Apple should buy OnLive.

I have thought this forever.

AirPlay is NOT the solution for the ills of Apple TV. .

I disagree to an extent.
I would buy 10 of these if someone wrote a network projected app (See Windows) compatible with airplay allowing me to throw powerpoint/keynote presentations at it.

I would love to install these and then have people only need iPads to give presentations.

Need to get some airplay compatible cars while we are at it.

newagemac
Jun 8, 2011, 12:00 PM
With Airplay mirroring, keynote presentations over wifi are a done deal.

As far as Airplay not being the solution because it "ties you down", I completely disagree with that. You are always going to need something in your hands to control what's happening on the TV screen. I don't see how an iPad or iPhone would be any different than a traditional remote as far as tying you down to something.

The best part about using Airplay is how awesome it is using an iDevice for browsing and selecting content to watch and how fluidly you can then throw that content up on different screens. No remote control can handle browsing and selecting content for your TV as well as an iDevice using multitouch. It's not even a contest.

Mak47
Jun 11, 2011, 01:06 AM
There are a lot of possibilities with an ATV app store. TV networks could create live stream apps (including ads) that allow users to watch their programming as scheduled. They can then offer rentals via iTunes for on-demand viewing.

It could become the a la carte "cable tv" everyone has always wanted but cable companies will never provide. We could subscribe to the channels we want, ignore those we don't, rent one off programs from iTunes on occasion as well.

HBO, ABC & others already offer on demand content on the iPad. This could be a much more viable format.

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 13, 2011, 05:37 PM
There are a lot of possibilities with an ATV app store. TV networks could create live stream apps (including ads) that allow users to watch their programming as scheduled. They can then offer rentals via iTunes for on-demand viewing.

It could become the a la carte "cable tv" everyone has always wanted but cable companies will never provide. We could subscribe to the channels we want, ignore those we don't, rent one off programs from iTunes on occasion as well.

HBO, ABC & others already offer on demand content on the iPad. This could be a much more viable format.

Ya. I am surprise that the jailbreak community hasn't done more in terms of getting apps like the ABC app up and running on the ATV2.

XBMC is already a blockbuster. Add the other apps and I would be set.

kiranmk2
Jun 14, 2011, 01:32 PM
So I guess we'll finally see an A5-based 1080p compatible ATV this year given that iOS5 is set to let the iPad2 natively play back 1080p files. Would be silly to let that device play them back (without even having a 720p screen) and not letting you Airplay the same file to a TV.

Colbster
Jul 15, 2011, 02:33 PM
The next apple TV will probably have 1080p, Facetime, and... a screen. Chances are the next Apple TV will actually be a TV.

Irishman
Jul 25, 2011, 10:23 AM
I got a bluray player a year ago, I've yet to watch a single bluray disc. It's all about streaming. Optical media is dead.

I couldn't disagree more.

You're counting out one powerful factor in the TV market - manufacturers' desire to continue selling newer TV.

So, what we'll start to see is that even higher resolution panels will show up at retail - (that typically called "4K" displays primarily). On larger screens, FED native content, they will put our 1080p displays to shame.

Then you'll start to see content to match it, broadcast, cable/satellite, and whatever format replaces Blu-ray. And because most of the world is not ready for even 1080p streaming (remember, even the version that Apple is rumored to be considering uses 10 Mb/sec bandwidth. Blu-ray uses more than that to deliver what is now the best quality picture and sound).

So, until network infrastructure improves to allow for streaming those yet-to-come higher resolutions, there will continue to be a need for physical media.

It happened to VHS and Beta.
It happened to DVD.
It will happen to Blu-ray (and it won't stop there).

Streaming, for the foreseeable future, will be more for convenience.

kiranmk2
Jul 25, 2011, 01:56 PM
I couldn't disagree more.

You're counting out one powerful factor in the TV market - manufacturers' desire to continue selling newer TV.

So, what we'll start to see is that even higher resolution panels will show up at retail - (that typically called "4K" displays primarily). On larger screens, FED native content, they will put our 1080p displays to shame.

Then you'll start to see content to match it, broadcast, cable/satellite, and whatever format replaces Blu-ray. And because most of the world is not ready for even 1080p streaming (remember, even the version that Apple is rumored to be considering uses 10 Mb/sec bandwidth. Blu-ray uses more than that to deliver what is now the best quality picture and sound).

So, until network infrastructure improves to allow for streaming those yet-to-come higher resolutions, there will continue to be a need for physical media.

It happened to VHS and Beta.
It happened to DVD.
It will happen to Blu-ray (and it won't stop there).

Streaming, for the foreseeable future, will be more for convenience.

I don't agree. I think both display technology and streaming technology are improving, but streaming technology is making faster progress. In 18 months or so we'll probably have the successor to H264 which means a streaming file will "only" have to be about 15 Mbps to look as good as a BluRay and it's more than likely that even at 10 Mbps, the new HEVC codec will be practically indistinguishable from 10 feet away.

Yes, storage will improve - we're probably getting on for 200 GB discs being possible, but does anyone care. Likewise, I'm sure in 18 months 2K displays will be possible, but will anyone actually buy a 2K TV when 1080p is only just starting to be broadcast (the BBC are doing trials)? There will be a market for 2k displays for computer monitors, but I'd argue that 1080p is already at "retina display" resolutions unless you sit way too close to your TV.

The big thing that will delay streaming isn't speed - it's bandwidth. Too many ISPs in the UK are limiting customers to 10 GB/month!

Irishman
Jul 25, 2011, 05:29 PM
I don't agree. I think both display technology and streaming technology are improving, but streaming technology is making faster progress. In 18 months or so we'll probably have the successor to H264 which means a streaming file will "only" have to be about 15 Mbps to look as good as a BluRay and it's more than likely that even at 10 Mbps, the new HEVC codec will be practically indistinguishable from 10 feet away.

Yes, storage will improve - we're probably getting on for 200 GB discs being possible, but does anyone care. Likewise, I'm sure in 18 months 2K displays will be possible, but will anyone actually buy a 2K TV when 1080p is only just starting to be broadcast (the BBC are doing trials)? There will be a market for 2k displays for computer monitors, but I'd argue that 1080p is already at "retina display" resolutions unless you sit way too close to your TV.

The big thing that will delay streaming isn't speed - it's bandwidth. Too many ISPs in the UK are limiting customers to 10 GB/month!

Not 2K.....4K.

2K is 1920 x 1080p.

Just for clarity's sake :)

Day48
Jul 26, 2011, 09:04 AM
What about apples rumored text to speech. what if you could tell the ATV to play (song) or (artist) and it did so...Or open Pandora, or anything the ATV is capable of doing. You would have to add a mic and probably a pretty good one at that, but thatd be a desirable feature as when Im in the kitchen my remote isnt straight on and I have to walk over and turn the song...

emaja
Jul 26, 2011, 09:11 AM
What about apples rumored text to speech. what if you could tell the ATV to play (song) or (artist) and it did so...Or open Pandora, or anything the ATV is capable of doing. You would have to add a mic and probably a pretty good one at that, but thatd be a desirable feature as when Im in the kitchen my remote isnt straight on and I have to walk over and turn the song...

Voice recognition never works well with me. I end up having to repeat myself to the point where I just give up.

In the kitchen I would just use the Apple remote app anyway. Works like a charm.

ssgrif
Jul 26, 2011, 09:14 AM
1080p support
app store integration
XMBC functionality native to aTV (unlikely)
Facetime via ipad/iphone over Airplay to aTV

these would make me love my aTV2 even more than i do already....

elwaylite
Jul 31, 2011, 12:26 PM
1080p support
app store integration
XMBC functionality native to aTV (unlikely)
Facetime via ipad/iphone over Airplay to aTV

these would make me love my aTV2 even more than i do already....

Wonder how This HD+ service plays into an ATV3? IF it was coming, when would the ATV3 historically be released?

MadeMac
Jul 31, 2011, 04:35 PM
We would love to be able to use Video Playlists. Although this is probably a mix of iTunes software and AppleTV software. We have over 200 Videos in our iMac iTunes and having to scroll through them on the AppleTV is getting painful. By the end of this year we will have over 300 Videos. Thought it a bit odd that we cannot have Video lists in iTunes that show up in the Apple TV like available for music. :confused:

WesCole
Jul 31, 2011, 10:40 PM
We would love to be able to use Video Playlists. Although this is probably a mix of iTunes software and AppleTV software. We have over 200 Videos in our iMac iTunes and having to scroll through them on the AppleTV is getting painful. By the end of this year we will have over 300 Videos. Thought it a bit odd that we cannot have Video lists in iTunes that show up in the Apple TV like available for music. :confused:

I am pretty sure under Settings --> Audio & Video, there is an option to show All playlists, however, I think the default is to show music only. I have been using video playlists for a while now.

MadeMac
Jul 31, 2011, 11:59 PM
Thank you WesCole. And thanks to MacRumors forum. We now have the Video play lists going, and will spend some time sorting out the 200+ Videos into different play lists, again from the Island of Bali in Indonesia. Many thanks :)

Wicked1
Aug 11, 2011, 09:20 AM
Teleportaion

This way when I read threads like this I can go back in the past and erase them before they start :eek:

Seriously I want them to bring back the HDD model, but since I have a Mini and I am thinking of replacing my ATV with anothe Mini, I am finding less of a need for ATV, however the difference is $99 for ATV2 and $600 for Mini, but to me it is worth it.

newagemac
Aug 11, 2011, 10:43 AM
If you already have a Mini, why do you need the HDD model? The ATV2 is perfect in combination with the Mini. The Mac Mini can serve as the "always on" iTunes server and handle all of your storage needs as well thus eliminating the need for a hard drive on the ATV2 itself.

With Home Sharing, the ATV2 just accesses the Mini and its much better this way especially when you add multiple ATV2s to your network. You can even set the Mini to sleep and the ATV2 will wake it automatically when needed although the Mini uses so little power I don't even sleep mine.

And with what Apple has been adding with iCloud lately, there is becoming less of a need to even own a computer and storage for your ATV2. Right now, all your iTunes TV purchases are stored in the cloud and you can access them directly whenever. I used to not bother outright purchasing movies and tv shows digitally ( I only rent or stream currently) but since I can now purchase TV shows/seasons and not have to worry about storage and backup, I am seriously reconsidering it.

I can see Apple adding purchased iTunes movies next and possibly allowing you to even access movies you've uploaded to your own iCloud storage space. And in the latest Apple TV iOS5 beta, you can take a picture on your iPhone and it will immediately be available on your Apple TV with Photo Stream. No need to upload, download, sync, or nothing. The Apple TV2 is going the post PC route along with all the other iOS devices.

arizona654
Aug 11, 2011, 12:00 PM
.... you would already know that FaceTime over Airplay is a feature of iOS5.

They would never build a separate FaceTime camera unless it was integrated into their own TV.

Furthermore, there have also been tidbits of evidence in the iOS5 builds that they are downgrading the PC to just a device (does anybody actually listen to Steve anymore?) and making your Time Capsule able to stream all this stuff.

If we do see a hardware upgrade it will be A5, 1080P, and more RAM.

Steve firmly believes that the only thing worthy of the TV screen is the video - twitter feeds on the big screen aren't really that fascinating. That's why there's no app store.

Pay attention to his design principles and you will have your answers......

kadams54
Aug 11, 2011, 12:33 PM
* 1080p output
* Support for 7.1 surround sound

Both of the above likely require changes in both the AppleTV and in the HD content available from Apple, but they would put digitally-distributed HD on par with Blu-ray. The 7.1 surround sound is the primary reason I'm still buying Blu-rays and not digital files.

* iTunes locker

Being able to simply stream purchased content from the internet to the AppleTV, without the intermediary of another computer + iTunes, would alleviate many of the complaints (you have to have the other computer on, you have to have iTunes up, etc.).

* App Store

For me, what this boils down to is that I want Hulu Plus on my Apple TV :-) But I'd love to see what other creative uses third parties could come up with for the box. Note that having an app store doesn't mean we'd have Twitter on the big screen. Apple could limit apps to only video-related. Vevo, ESPN, Justin.tv/Ustream.tv, Hulu, Pandora, etc - all sources of audio/video content that are currently excluded from the Apple TV. Opening up to third parties means that Apple would no longer be on the hook for doing the work of adding something like Vimeo themselves. They're effectively outsourcing the work to the parties that would benefit from it the most.

* Airplay support extended to everything

I've seen videos of Airplay support in iOS 5 that basically makes your Apple TV-connected display a wireless second monitor. Sweet! Now I want that in Mac OS X as well. The idea is to be able to easily take anything you see on any of your Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod, Mac) and throw it up on the big screen with minimal fuss and cables.

Jad Morffier
Aug 12, 2011, 04:59 PM
What's the latest rumored release date of this new Apple TV?

Not sure to hold out or just get an Apple TV 2 now.

Pricing would be nice to know too.

slothrob
Aug 12, 2011, 06:40 PM
What's the latest rumored release date of this new Apple TV?
2012 - 2013.
You can wait until after the usual iPod updates in Sept., if you want to play it relatively safe.

emaja
Aug 12, 2011, 06:50 PM
2012 - 2013.
You can wait until after the usual iPod updates in Sept., if you want to play it relatively safe.

At this point I wouldn't venture ANY guess. Who knows what Apple might be able to push out with a software update.

Just my opinion.

slothrob
Aug 12, 2011, 07:50 PM
At this point I wouldn't venture ANY guess. Who knows what Apple might be able to push out with a software update.

Just my opinion.
Continued software updates as Apple makes more deals with the copy-write holders, definitely, but I think a hardware update in the foreseeable future is a real longshot.

On the other hand, Apple has surprised us before.

potatis
Aug 16, 2011, 01:22 PM
maybe there will be no AppleTV3? Maybe there will be only Airplay functionality in TV's, and the AppleTV part will be in the handheld iOS devices?

nunes013
Aug 16, 2011, 11:36 PM
i think apple will make an atv 3 with an iOS 5 chip and 1080p playback. the real deal comes when apple makes the apple (actual) tv. it will have a FaceTime HD camera built in apple tv and all that good stuff. i think they have to release an updated apple tv later this year or else everybody will start the rumors. "why didn't they update it, they must be launching the real tv soon."

what does everyone think the real tv by apple will look like. do you think more like a giant cinema display or more like the tv they show in ads next to the apple tv? im guessing

-apple cinema display like with apple logo on the bottom.
-run off of the new A6 chip when released
-built in FaceTime HD camera
-iOS 5.X to ship with
-between 40"-50" with a resolution a little higher than the cinema display
-built in speakers
-3 hdmi ports
-ethernet
-2 USB
-VGA and maybe DVI
-component and composite
-fibre optic sound
-co-ax cable
-and of course thunderbolt and maybe firewire

danpass
Aug 16, 2011, 11:46 PM
The next apple TV will probably have 1080p, Facetime, and... a screen. Chances are the next Apple TV will actually be a TV.
ALRD

Apple Living Room Display :D

paulcdb
Aug 17, 2011, 12:14 AM
I doubt we'll see one until 2013.

Original was released in 2007, current one in 2010... 3 year cycles?

As for what I'd like to see, all the features I'd like can be done with software so no real need for new hardware, things like better control over media, and apps :)

Icaras
Aug 19, 2011, 06:53 PM

Two dots don't form a pattern. No way to know when an ATV3 will be released.

Jad Morffier
Aug 22, 2011, 01:27 AM
I'll wait then I guess.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-37.793398,145.253639

Bearxor
Aug 23, 2011, 07:49 PM

You're wrong here. It's almost overwhelmingly the content providers that don't want the cable/sat companies offering their programming ala carte. Even if they got in to a position to offer ala carte, it won't be what you probably want.

Do you think NBC Universal will let you subscribe to JUST Syfy without taking USA, The Weather Channel, MSNBC, E! and Bravo?

Do you think Fox wants you to have FX without taking Fox News?

I don't want to get off track, but having worked in that industry it's really irritating to see blame being laid at (most of the time) the wrong feet.

Look at the current situation with cable companies wanting to stream TV you already subscribe to another screen in your home (the iPad). Content providers flipped out, not the cable providers.

More often than not, it's content providers that are limiting progress. Not the cable/sat companies.

But more on topic, the only thing I want in the next-gen AppleTV is a pass-thru. Would love it to go inline like the Logitech Revue so that I don't have to switch inputs to airplay a video or something.

Dimwhit
Aug 24, 2011, 08:56 AM
Do you think NBC Universal will let you subscribe to JUST Syfy without taking USA, The Weather Channel, MSNBC, E! and Bravo?

Do you think Fox wants you to have FX without taking Fox News?

I'd be fine with that, too. Still better than what we have. Let me subscribe to smaller blocks of channels. That could work.

Bearxor
Aug 24, 2011, 09:28 AM
I'd be fine with that, too. Still better than what we have. Let me subscribe to smaller blocks of channels. That could work.

I understand the thinking, but unless you want a really, really small subset of channels, it's cheaper or slightly more expensive to subscribe to a complete package.

Not to say that it wouldn't be beneficial for some people but that number is in the extreme minority. These are just a couple of the reasons the FCC abandoned a push to mandate ala carte cable.

HobeSoundDarryl
Aug 24, 2011, 09:40 AM
The main problem with the a-la-carte concept is in the math. Those wanting it usually perceive the math wrong. They think about what they pay now, divide by the total number of channels they get and assume an a-la-carte model would price the channels that way. For example, someone pays $100 per month for 200 channels today. $100/200 = 50 cents per channel. "I only watch 10 channels". 10 channels times 50 cents = $5 per month in the imagined al-a-carte model.

While that would be fantastic, that's not how it would work. Instead, all the people on the other end of the equation would want to continue making just as much as they make now. Since they are selling what we want to buy, they would just adapt pricing accordingly. Thus, all channels wouldn't be 50 cents each: some might be priced at a nickel (though probably just killed off) while others might be priced at $10+ each. The collective favorite channels would probably be priced pretty high to replace that $100 revenue stream for 200 channels (190 of each we don't watch) with the 10 we want al-a-carte that we do watch.

In the end, the objective for the seller would be to maintain or increase their revenues, NOT cut them. I'd love a-la-carte too within the dream concept of around 50 cents per channel. But I know what would really happen. The sellers can't make their business model work if the revenues dropped to 50 cents per channel and people only subscribed to a handful of channels they actually like.

Dimwhit
Aug 24, 2011, 09:49 AM
I understand the thinking, but unless you want a really, really small subset of channels, it's cheaper or slightly more expensive to subscribe to a complete package.

Not to say that it wouldn't be beneficial for some people but that number is in the extreme minority. These are just a couple of the reasons the FCC abandoned a push to mandate ala carte cable.

I'm probably in the minority. Aside from the main networks, I watch SyFy, USA, HGTV, Food Network, and maybe TNT/TBS if they have something good on. And the ESPN channels. I could do without everything else. (Well, ok, the wife might want to add a couple channels.)

Irishman
Aug 24, 2011, 06:07 PM
i think apple will make an atv 3 with an iOS 5 chip and 1080p playback. the real deal comes when apple makes the apple (actual) tv. it will have a FaceTime HD camera built in apple tv and all that good stuff. i think they have to release an updated apple tv later this year or else everybody will start the rumors. "why didn't they update it, they must be launching the real tv soon."

what does everyone think the real tv by apple will look like. do you think more like a giant cinema display or more like the tv they show in ads next to the apple tv? im guessing

-apple cinema display like with apple logo on the bottom.
-run off of the new A6 chip when released
-built in FaceTime HD camera
-iOS 5.X to ship with
-between 40"-50" with a resolution a little higher than the cinema display
-built in speakers
-3 hdmi ports
-ethernet
-2 USB
-VGA and maybe DVI
-component and composite
-fibre optic sound
-co-ax cable
-and of course thunderbolt and maybe firewire

Apple thrives off rumors of new and suspected products. They don't feel compelled to deliver products just to squelch possible rumors.

How little you understand Apple, my friend. :)

And, by the way, the original TV they used in the AppleTV ads is the now-defunct Pioneer Elite KURO plasma HDTV. (I know, because I own one and would recognize it anywhere).

Irishman
Aug 24, 2011, 06:30 PM
* 1080p output
* Support for 7.1 surround sound

Both of the above likely require changes in both the AppleTV and in the HD content available from Apple, but they would put digitally-distributed HD on par with Blu-ray. The 7.1 surround sound is the primary reason I'm still buying Blu-rays and not digital files.

Do you really mean 7.1? Or do you mean Lossless audio like Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio? Because you can count on one hand the number of films so far mastered in 7.1. I also love my Lossless audio. But I don't want the TV to do that. I haven't seen a TV do it well yet. Apparently, most HDTVs don't even try.

* iTunes locker

Being able to simply stream purchased content from the internet to the AppleTV, without the intermediary of another computer + iTunes, would alleviate many of the complaints (you have to have the other computer on, you have to have iTunes up, etc.).

I agree this would be a compelling feature. I still think that the grand plan with regard to iCloud will bring the AppleTV more into the fold, and at that point, it will cease to be "one more hobby".

* App Store

For me, what this boils down to is that I want Hulu Plus on my Apple TV :-) But I'd love to see what other creative uses third parties could come up with for the box. Note that having an app store doesn't mean we'd have Twitter on the big screen. Apple could limit apps to only video-related. Vevo, ESPN, Justin.tv/Ustream.tv, Hulu, Pandora, etc - all sources of audio/video content that are currently excluded from the Apple TV. Opening up to third parties means that Apple would no longer be on the hook for doing the work of adding something like Vimeo themselves. They're effectively outsourcing the work to the parties that would benefit from it the most.

I'm changing my mind about Hulu Plus. I don't really see it as a compelling content solution FOR ME like I used to. They just don't seem to be inking the deals they need to in order to have new shows day-after-air that they'll NEED in order to stay differentiated from Netflix. Right now, Netflix is the Gold Standard by which the others are measured. They know who they are and they deliver it. The clock is ticking on Hulu Plus and they don't seem to care.

* Airplay support extended to everything

I've seen videos of Airplay support in iOS 5 that basically makes your Apple TV-connected display a wireless second monitor. Sweet! Now I want that in Mac OS X as well. The idea is to be able to easily take anything you see on any of your Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod, Mac) and throw it up on the big screen with minimal fuss and cables.

I think they plan to call this iTunes Mirroring, correct? Where it mirrors video and audio from a pc, mac or idevice directly. I would prefer this to the hit or miss method now. (HBO Go, for example, Airplays only sound but not video. Same with the recent Star Wars Blu-Ray app).

:apple::cool::)

mcneale
Sep 15, 2011, 07:55 AM
I think storage space so that it's not so network/cloud based would be good. I like my ATV 1 because it is a good music server (except that the music annoyingly pauses when I open my MBP). However, I doubt this will be changed. Perhaps nice TV screens with ATV (and other net capabilities) built in.

APlotdevice
Sep 24, 2011, 09:44 PM
A thought on FaceTime capabilities...

People have pointed out that positioning of could make an integrated camera awkward. However what if the ATV took on a a form factor similar to Microsoft's Kinect? In other words a big bar that could be sat on top of the television. They might need to switch on an external power adapter, but otherwise the hardware should easily fit.

From A Buick 8
Sep 27, 2011, 10:55 AM
I think they plan to call this iTunes Mirroring, correct? Where it mirrors video and audio from a pc, mac or idevice directly. I would prefer this to the hit or miss method now. (HBO Go, for example, Airplays only sound but not video. Same with the recent Star Wars Blu-Ray app).

:apple::cool::)

I really do not like the mirroring, I can see the benefit for a few things but do I really need the same thing playing on my ipad or iphone. For me Airplay is a much better solution, just fix it so that every app sends video and audio.

stordoff
Sep 27, 2011, 12:14 PM

You can't extrapolate this from two points. If we had 2004, 2007, 2010, it would be a little more convincing, but there's still not much there to suggest the ATV follows a fixed release cycle.

Che Castro
Sep 27, 2011, 06:39 PM
So what are the chances we get a new apple tv announcement on the 4th ?

iPhisch
Sep 27, 2011, 07:04 PM
So what are the chances we get a new apple tv announcement on the 4th ?

I'm really hoping so, but the title of the invite implies that we might only be talking about one brand of device next week. I recently decided I want one of these things, but I can't justify buying a year old Apple product. Seems like nothing lasts over a year anymore (sans Mac Pro).

HobeSoundDarryl
Sep 27, 2011, 07:54 PM
The near dead silence in the rumor mill strongly implies either it is a "best kept secret" and "one more thing" candidate or we can hope for a software updated at best. I haven't seen anything that implies a new (hardware) model, but they are doing things in the software for developers that imply there will probably be some new software benefits.

I so want 1080p in an :apple:TV but I'm increasingly pessimistic for 2011.

Che Castro
Sep 27, 2011, 11:19 PM
What about that new HD+ thing announced a while back for iTunes movies
I think its suppose to be apples converted version of 1080p

Also it wouldnt be right that apple is updating everything to the A5 chip [ipad/iphone/ & probably the ipod] and leave the apple tv using the A4 chip

The first apple tv 1 didnt have the same hardware as the iphone 3g right?

So since they thought hey lets use the same processor in all our devices the A4 ,we can just upgrade them all every year

APlotdevice
Sep 27, 2011, 11:28 PM
The first apple tv 1 didnt have the same hardware as the iphone 3g right?

Well no, since the first Apple TV used Mac hardware.

Che Castro
Sep 29, 2011, 10:23 AM
Is there another apple media event being held after the october 4th one ?

Im still keeping hope Alive for an ATV3

From A Buick 8
Sep 29, 2011, 04:06 PM
More then anything else the ATV needs an App store but I do not this we will even see that this year.

jca24
Sep 29, 2011, 06:03 PM
I have not read the thread, so forgive me if already mentioned.

The next AppleTV will be a 40" led with all kinds of neat stuff inside. Late 2012 or early 2013.

Wiggum
Sep 29, 2011, 06:41 PM
Hoping for an A5 version this Tues!

byke
Sep 29, 2011, 07:01 PM
Hoping for an A5 version this Tues!

I can't see it happening, even though it would be amazing.
I expect if we do see a upgrade it may be silent one, a few months after if the A4 chips are discontinued.

From A Buick 8
Sep 29, 2011, 07:17 PM
I have not read the thread, so forgive me if already mentioned.

The next AppleTV will be a 40" led with all kinds of neat stuff inside. Late 2012 or early 2013.

Will never happen.

jca24
Sep 29, 2011, 08:44 PM
yes it will

From A Buick 8
Sep 30, 2011, 07:29 AM
yes it will

No it won’t (infinity). :p

Just too much of a commodity market and folks are not going to want to upgrade their TV often enough to make any money off of the hardware. ATV will stay a box that you hook up to your TV.

basesloaded190
Sep 30, 2011, 09:20 AM
No it won’t (infinity). :p

Just too much of a commodity market and folks are not going to want to upgrade their TV often enough to make any money off of the hardware. ATV will stay a box that you hook up to your TV.

I do like the idea of Apple licensing the software to TV makers to have the software built right into TV's. I would love a Panasonic Plasma with the Software of the Apple TV built right in.

From A Buick 8
Sep 30, 2011, 09:35 AM
I do like the idea of Apple licensing the software to TV makers to have the software built right into TV's. I would love a Panasonic Plasma with the Software of the Apple TV built right in.

That i can see happening. So they would have both the little black box and a the software running on select TV sets.

jca24
Sep 30, 2011, 09:37 AM

that will not happen. it will be panasonic or some other company building a tv to Apples spec with ATV built in along with lots of other stuff.

Che Castro
Sep 30, 2011, 10:59 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/30/apple-tv-set-to-launch-in-7-new-european-countries-next-tuesday/

New apple tv 3 ? Is that what the article is saying

MartinAW
Sep 30, 2011, 11:02 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/30/apple-tv-set-to-launch-in-7-new-european-countries-next-tuesday/

New apple tv 3 ? Is that what the article is saying

No, its saying that Apple TV will be available in 7 new European countries that it wasn't previously available in. This is due to the expansion of iTunes into these countries.

Edit - Rereading the article, its worded to suggest that its a brand new Apple TV... But I suspect it is just that, bad wording :)

basesloaded190
Sep 30, 2011, 11:09 AM
that will not happen. it will be panasonic or some other company building a tv to Apples spec with ATV built in along with lots of other stuff.

And why wouldn't this happen? Seems a lot more logical than what your suggesting.

jca24
Sep 30, 2011, 11:17 AM
And why wouldn't this happen? Seems a lot more logical than what your suggesting.

Apple license their software?? don't think so!

Irishman
Sep 30, 2011, 11:38 AM
yes it will

Why do you think Apple will integrate the ATV service into a single HDTV?

----------

Apple license their software?? don't think so!

Um, iTunes, QT Player, Safari for Windows?

APlotdevice
Sep 30, 2011, 11:43 AM
Um, iTunes, QT Player, Safari for Windows

Are all published by Apple themselves. Not licensed to some other company.

jca24
Sep 30, 2011, 11:51 AM
Why do you think Apple will integrate the ATV service into a single HDTV?

----------

Um, iTunes, QT Player, Safari for Windows?

So they can sell it and keep it in their ecosystem. As for itunes, qt etc., good point. The ATV is a physical product and I feel Apple will go the tv route when the time is right. Yes it will be expensive, buy it will be the best. There are plenty of people that will buy it. Remember, Apple is the innovator, they have to keep new product coming online. There will be 2 or 3 new products in the next few years and the ATV will be one of them.

Wait till you see what comes out next spring!

Irishman
Sep 30, 2011, 12:19 PM
Are all published by Apple themselves. Not licensed to some other company.

There are agreements in place that offer those programs to users of other OSs.

chinarut
Sep 30, 2011, 05:29 PM
The near dead silence in the rumor mill strongly implies either it is a "best kept secret" and "one more thing" candidate or we can hope for a software updated at best. I haven't seen anything that implies a new (hardware) model, but they are doing things in the software for developers that imply there will probably be some new software benefits.

I agree. consumers have barely reaped all the benefits ATV2 is capable of. ATV3 in 2011 is unlikely.

so my vote for "one more thing" re: iOS5 this fall is the AppStore for AppleTV.

Che Castro
Sep 30, 2011, 07:21 PM
Somebody give the author of this article the nobel peace prize and the Pulitzer

http://www.iostv.com/apple-tv-news/apple-set-to-release-apple-tv-3/

mooeymoose
Oct 2, 2011, 11:00 AM
I hope apple updates the ATV. It needs to support 1080p and allow apps. Then this would be perfect. I would go with the ruku2 if it would support streaming from a computer. I have over 1tb of ripped movies and tv show on a NAS and love the apple tv streaming.

Aidoneus
Oct 2, 2011, 11:17 AM
While I would love an Apple TV that can output 1080p, and decode 1080p Blu-Ray rips without frame-dropping, I hate to say that the recent release of the Apple TV in additional territories makes it unlikely to happen, at least for the forseeable future.

Che Castro
Oct 2, 2011, 12:23 PM
I hope apple updates the ATV. It needs to support 1080p and allow apps. Then this would be perfect. I would go with the ruku2 if it would support streaming from a computer. I have over 1tb of ripped movies and tv show on a NAS and love the apple tv streaming.

You can put the plex channel on the roku

And stream from your computer

tbayrgs
Oct 4, 2011, 02:02 PM
What to expect? Expect to wait another year based on that disappointing Apple news event...

Dan--
Oct 4, 2011, 02:32 PM
I heard an A5 was only $6 more to produce than an A4. Yep $14 vs. $8. (This was a while back.)

Just update the little thing!

Irishman
Oct 4, 2011, 07:57 PM
What to expect? Expect to wait another year based on that disappointing Apple news event...

If you'd paid attention to Apple's releases in the past, it's too soon for a 3rd iteration of the iPad, seeing as how the last one was released inside of a year.

I'd rather they take their time and get things like the camera and retina display right. (I'm hoping against hope that the old 5MB iPhone 4 camera finds its way into the iPad 3).

From A Buick 8
Oct 4, 2011, 08:29 PM
If you'd paid attention to Apple's releases in the past, it's too soon for a 3rd iteration of the iPad, seeing as how the last one was released inside of a year.

I'd rather they take their time and get things like the camera and retina display right. (I'm hoping against hope that the old 5MB iPhone 4 camera finds its way into the iPad 3).

Ipad ?

----------

Never expected an update to the ATV, but was hoping for an app store for the ATV.

Well i was waiting for today to come and go so i can now order a new Roku. Still keeping our ATV (still no better way to play all of my iTunes content) just adding the Roku for the extra content it has.

tbayrgs
Oct 4, 2011, 08:49 PM

If you'd paid attention, you'd realize you're commenting on an Apple TV thread. :rolleyes:

Irishman
Oct 4, 2011, 09:37 PM
If you'd paid attention, you'd realize you're commenting on an Apple TV thread. :rolleyes:

Either way, too soon.

dgalvan123
Oct 5, 2011, 12:23 AM
Well, now I can order my 2nd ATV2 (refurbished from apple.com for $85) with peace of mind.

wueagle25
Oct 5, 2011, 08:15 PM
There may still be something new on the horizon. Amazon.com just ran out of stock and is expecting more in 2 to 5 weeks...

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MC572LL-A-TV/dp/B001FA1NK0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317863664&sr=8-1

sqnwk
Oct 5, 2011, 11:09 PM
Right now I just don't see a need for it

darster
Oct 6, 2011, 12:29 AM
There may still be something new on the horizon. Amazon.com just ran out of stock and is expecting more in 2 to 5 weeks...

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MC572LL-A-TV/dp/B001FA1NK0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317863664&sr=8-1

I clicked on the link and shows it in stock.

michellebaker78
Oct 6, 2011, 11:36 AM
I think that 1080p would be the best. I think it would be amazing on my TV (http://www.squidoo.com/best-led-hdtvs-2011).

sublimentality
Oct 6, 2011, 12:30 PM
1. They may build it into a new incredible TV with a retina screen, or it may stay as a set top box. I think they should leave as a set top box, although i personally would be interested in a full apple tv, i don't think the general public would adopt something so expensive very quickly. Either way they will build an HD camera into it.

2. Apple TV app store (this is a no brainer though the more technical and deep the app we need a way to control it, and NOBODY wants a mouse and keyboard sitting on their coffee table which brings me to my next idea)

3. I think the new Siri technology is gonna eventually play a much bigger role than we think. This is probably one of the only technologies that can get the "web" on our tv with an easy way to control it. Xbox already has something "like this" except nowhere near robust and useful and NOBODY wants to have to learn all the commands. Think of the possibilities! The search functionalities for entertainment, etc.

4. So i think the above are the biggest possibilities. That being said as far as the entertainment side, someone has to put cable companies into the ground. Wether netflix streaming gets it right or apple comes up with something, someone needs a digital streaming subscription that offers ALL tv shows, ANY episode, ANY time, one fee. OR, with apple TV apps, each TV service comes out with their "channel" a la carte like some have already been doing on the iPad and iPhone. $ a channel a month? I personally would only need about 10 channels putting me at $50 a month, still much lower than a basic HD cable package with no premium channels and a DVR service.

But first and foremost to make this a popular product, they need the apple tv app store and a new way to control it/revolutionary UI to support it, cause a 6 button remote won't cut it.

thatisme
Oct 6, 2011, 02:02 PM
I would like 1080p output and be able to mirror or extend my macbook air's screen to the device, to use as a wireless display... not just in certain software titles, but natively in OSX

Lesser Evets
Oct 6, 2011, 03:26 PM
I hope by summer 2012 they release an ATV with the A5 chip and 1080 capability. For $99--I'm there.

henchman
Oct 6, 2011, 07:03 PM
I hope by summer 2012 they release an ATV with the A5 chip and 1080 capability. For $99--I'm there.

Check out a boxee box or a Roku

ykhehra1
Oct 25, 2011, 12:00 PM
my local apple store is out of stock for atv2, may be next shipment will be for atv3!

vader_slri
Oct 25, 2011, 01:16 PM
my local apple store is out of stock for atv2, may be next shipment will be for atv3!

Canadian online store says 1-3 days and the refurbs are completely sold out. Strange.

Che Castro
Oct 25, 2011, 06:24 PM

Canadian online store says 1-3 days and the refurbs are completely sold out. Strange.

Dont get my hopes up

Not again ,is too soon

From A Buick 8
Oct 25, 2011, 07:40 PM
Give it up for a year.

k12g3
Oct 25, 2011, 08:15 PM
I imagine them releasing 2 or 3 versions of the next AppleTV.

1st version would be the HDTV, fully loaded with all the specs that apple will add on like retina display, HD camera for FaceTime and Skype. Glasses-less or Passive 3D technology. Built in mic for Siri and audio/video calling. Maybe offering a whole new aspect ratio (we have seen the higher end Philips 21x9 HDTV and it looks amazing, eliminating those annoying black bars.) I assume this model will be between 42" and 55" and be priced around $2000.

2nd version would be the same thing but on a smaller scale, 32" for around $1500

3rd version would be the set-top box like we are currently used to. This model would offer 1080p HDMI out, optical audio, but would lack the support for video chat. This way Apple can truly make an impact on the TV market even for people who don't want to upgrade their TV set. This would be from $99 to $199 (they will probably have to up the cost due to hardware upgrades).

High hopes it ends up this way but only time will tell!

heimbachae
Oct 25, 2011, 10:11 PM
Does anyone around here know when we might expect the next ATV? I'm seriously considering just biting the bullet and getting a roku xs, but I want to believe the next ATV will drop soonish.

gtmac
Oct 25, 2011, 11:21 PM
I have the ATV and two Rokus, I like them all. Rokus are great, ATVs have airplay!

Come on they are cheap enough to get one of each.

heimbachae
Oct 25, 2011, 11:26 PM
I have the ATV and two Rokus, I like them all. Rokus are great, ATVs have airplay!

Come on they are cheap enough to get one of each.

yea I'm holding out because I have quite the large iTunes library. I'm not all up and up on the roku boxes but I don't see anywhere saying they are iTunes compatible. oh next ATV where are you!!!???

blinkin182
Oct 28, 2011, 01:57 AM
1. They may build it into a new incredible TV with a retina screen, or it may stay as a set top box. I think they should leave as a set top box, although i personally would be interested in a full apple tv, i don't think the general public would adopt something so expensive very quickly. Either way they will build an HD camera into it.

2. Apple TV app store (this is a no brainer though the more technical and deep the app we need a way to control it, and NOBODY wants a mouse and keyboard sitting on their coffee table which brings me to my next idea)

3. I think the new Siri technology is gonna eventually play a much bigger role than we think. This is probably one of the only technologies that can get the "web" on our tv with an easy way to control it. Xbox already has something "like this" except nowhere near robust and useful and NOBODY wants to have to learn all the commands. Think of the possibilities! The search functionalities for entertainment, etc.

But first and foremost to make this a popular product, they need the apple tv app store and a new way to control it/revolutionary UI to support it, cause a 6 button remote won't cut it.

I would like 1080p output and be able to mirror or extend my macbook air's screen to the device, to use as a wireless display... not just in certain software titles, but natively in OSX

These two.

However, I'd prefer it staying in the setup box form, or just have two products (the new AppleTv and the AppleTV as a more expensive option). The portability and flexibility offered by the setup box is very important to me. I just moved countries, just brought the AppleTV and connected it to the TV here and it just works.

On my wish list:

1. 1080p video
2. Siri voice command functionality, perhaps you could simply use your iPhone/iPod touch/iPad for the microphone
3. App store (this could include games that you could control through your iDevice)
4. Internet browsing (Siri or iDevice controlled for navigation)
5. Mirror entire mac screen (as "thatisme" states above)
6. FaceTime support, perhaps the setup box could go on top, or under the TV and sport all the necessary equipment for FaceTime.

I know I'm stretching it, but I would also love:
Ability to plug in external drive and watch content from that disc (consequently it would also need to support more formats), in order to avoid having MacBook Pro or iMac on all the time to play some content.

Come on Apple! Upgrade it from hobby to full-time occupation and make it awesome!

ebteksystems
Oct 28, 2011, 02:46 AM
Ditto blinkin182 for wishes 1-5. I don't care about Facetime. Skype would be interesting, though.

heimbachae
Nov 3, 2011, 12:53 AM
I'm thinking about going roku xs to hold me over until the next bug thing comes out. I really hope I don't regret it.

pierren
Nov 12, 2011, 08:28 AM
With the rise in IOS 5 mirroring to Apple TV the world of giving a presentation while being mobile is booming and well done

There's a couple of opportunities the :apple: TV3 could help with though

1. MOST Data projectors in boardrooms don't have HDMI Cabling - they use VGA Connectors. I know there are a couple of HDMI to VGA Converters out there but a cable adaptor for the :apple:tv3 that lets this connection happen would be very helpful

2. At the moment :apple:tv2s only allow mirroring from IOS 5. With the invasion of Macbook Air into corporate life - it would be sooooooo helpful to mirror or stream desktops from OSX Lion to the :apple:tv in the same way - without needing to do anything 'apple unnatural'

As I see it these could easily be deployed for the :apple:tv2 if the powers so deemed it

Then REALLY watch the Mac penetrate the boardroom!

jayhawk11
Nov 13, 2011, 02:28 PM
With the rise in IOS 5 mirroring to Apple TV the world of giving a presentation while being mobile is booming and well done

There's a couple of opportunities the :apple: TV3 could help with though

1. MOST Data projectors in boardrooms don't have HDMI Cabling - they use VGA Connectors. I know there are a couple of HDMI to VGA Converters out there but a cable adaptor for the :apple:tv3 that lets this connection happen would be very helpful

2. At the moment :apple:tv2s only allow mirroring from IOS 5. With the invasion of Macbook Air into corporate life - it would be sooooooo helpful to mirror or stream desktops from OSX Lion to the :apple:tv in the same way - without needing to do anything 'apple unnatural'

As I see it these could easily be deployed for the :apple:tv2 if the powers so deemed it

Then REALLY watch the Mac penetrate the boardroom!

Most projectors have VGA because projector manufacturers are lazy, as are corporate IT teams. VGA support is being terminated by 2015, so I don't foresee Apple supporting something that is going to be dead soon anyway.

Randall
Feb 24, 2012, 08:19 PM
I want to get this to stream 1080p content in style, but if it can't then it's worthless to me and the vast majority of people who watch TV. Apple update your ATV hardware!!! A small SSD for fast boot ~16 GB would be cheap and wonderful too! I dream, maybe I'll just hit up newegg and build a cheap thin client that can stream 1080p myself. Apple you really missed the boat here.

daleski75
Feb 25, 2012, 03:26 AM
My wish list would be.

1. 1080p output
2. Siri voice controlled
3. Airplay 1080p mirroring from laptop
4. BBC iPlayer, 4OD, Demand5 and ITV Player
5. Lovefilm

MythicFrost
Feb 25, 2012, 07:44 AM
Apple TV 3 -- whatever the iPad 3's SoC is -- less on the graphics side though.