Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

celticpride678

Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
I've noticed over the past few weeks that, sometimes when I plug my MagSafe charger into my MacBook, the light will dimly be lit green. The computer will also say "Not Charging."

If I unplug the MagSafe a few times and plug it back in, it will start working.

Already tried a SMC and PRAM reset.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Your Magsafe is starting to die. When they don't charge and are dimly lit they are nearly dead. Mine has done this a few times over the last year, but it hasn't died yet. I say use it til it completely dies, but have a backup plan for when it does.

celticpride678

Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Your Magsafe is starting to die. When they don't charge and are dimly lit they are nearly dead. Mine has done this a few times over the last year, but it hasn't died yet. I say use it til it completely dies, but have a backup plan for when it does.

So, it should be as simple as replacing the cable, right? I'm assuming it's covered under AppleCare as well...

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The brick, cable, and Magsafe plug are all one unit. Its the whole unit that has to be replaced. I'm not sure exactly what part of it does end up dieing.

celticpride678

Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
The brick, cable, and Magsafe plug are all one unit. Its the whole unit that has to be replaced. I'm not sure exactly what part of it does end up dieing.

Yup, I get it. Just want to make sure that I don't have to send my Mac out if it's some type of internal hardware issue.

Thanks.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Try flipping the adapter over, just the part that plugs into your computer. My Magsafe is dying too and it'll only charge when it's plugged in one way.

durruti

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2004
Jersey
cleaning

i know on my preunibody MBP, there is crud/rust/buildup where the magsafe plugs into the body of the MBP...

If that's a similar case with your MB, you could try cleaning the crud/rust with a screwdriver around the actual pins/connectors, so that there is better contact.

This might help.

celticpride678

Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
I've got an appointment with the Genius Bar later today for an unrelated issue, but I'll mention this one too. Will report back after.

UPDATE: They replaced the MagSafe adapter. Hopefully it fixes the issue.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.