Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
Via 'Watchmen' artist Dave Gibbons on Twitter:

Apple Pen Patents Suggest Apple Wants In on Wacom's Graphics Tablet Game http://pulsene.ws/Ymc9

Dammit. Having successfully resisted the siren call of the iPad, this would actually make it a must-buy. Damn you, Apple! *shakes fist*

Note that I'm not suggesting that this could replace a Cintiq, but I can't take a Cintiq downstairs and use it in front of the TV… Plus, you don't seem to have been able to actually buy a 21" UX for love nor money since the middle of last year.

Cheers

Jim

Messy

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
With all the suggested changes to the iPad most of which are pretty much confirmed (high res screen, better cpu/gpu, dual camera etc) with this ability too it'd definately be something i'd buy.

The iPad is becoming what it should have been from the get go.

bmb012

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2006
Looks like the same as the pogo stylus. The iPad can already discern the difference between smaller capacitive stylus input and fingers, but that's all locked to private APIs. All Apple would need to do is open those up.

I have a 21 inch Cintiq and I still wish I could draw on the iPad easily, it would just be too perfect for sketching up ideas.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
Looks like the same as the pogo stylus.

Not really… as I understand it, the Pogo measures surface area in contact with the screen to infer pen pressure, for a start, which is pretty inaccurate. The hypothetical Apple one would have a pressure sensor to register pen pressure accurately (and in a way, presumably, one could calibrate). Additionally, the Apple one proposes to register rotation and tilt, which puts it in a different class entirely for drawing purposes.

Cheers

Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.