PDA

View Full Version : Where do most of you get your movies from?

ac921ol
Feb 6, 2011, 10:00 PM
Just iTunes? Or do you get it from a DVD and change the format to it so it works with iTunes?? If so which program do you use?

GoCubsGo
Feb 6, 2011, 10:01 PM
Amazon.

bt22
Feb 6, 2011, 10:59 PM
Mostly rent from iTunes. If I purchase I usually buy from Best Buy. I usually try to get the movie with digital copy. I use Handbrake and VLC when converting to a digital file.

JRoDDz
Feb 7, 2011, 08:41 AM
Netflix or Redbox. iTune$ is too expensive. I'm a cheapskate at heart. :D

Moyank24
Feb 7, 2011, 08:48 AM
I get most of my movies from Amazon. Every once in a while I use iTunes, but it's never my first choice.

I then convert the DVD using Handbrake, and dump them in iTunes.

petvas
Feb 7, 2011, 08:48 AM
Mostly Bluray which I then rip to mkv and some times to m4v

toypadlock
Feb 7, 2011, 09:03 AM
honest answer? the same as the actual answer for the posters before me, but they don't want to admit it:

torrents. mkvtools/handbrake can make any .mkv into a lovely hi res .m4v that makes dvds look like VHS copies. not proud of it, but it is the true answer.

Panch0
Feb 7, 2011, 09:21 AM
1) For most viewing (predominately TV series so far): Netflix Instant Streaming

1.5) Over the Air with EyeTV (Just started doing this a week ago, not sure it's going to take)

2) For New Releases: iTunes (usually rent vs. buy)

3) iTunes Specials: Almost every week, iTunes will have specials for $4.99 movies - there's usually something there that I'm willing to pay $4.99 for.

4) for those hard to find items that I can't find in digital format, I'll buy DVDs from Amazon. I really don't like doing this - physical media is just so inconvenient!

Dagless
Feb 7, 2011, 09:23 AM
Amazon, Play.com, Zavvi.
If it's a very good film/series I'll rip it to iTunes.

Yeah I'm not going the way of digital downloads for films/TV. If they followed the Steam approach (cheaper than retail, re-download) I'd switch.

MacDawg
Feb 7, 2011, 09:25 AM
honest answer? the same as the actual answer for the posters before me, but they don't want to admit it:

torrents. mkvtools/handbrake can make any .mkv into a lovely hi res .m4v that makes dvds look like VHS copies. not proud of it, but it is the true answer.

Not everybody takes that route
In fact, I have never torrented anything

Netflix for me

petvas
Feb 7, 2011, 09:28 AM

You are probably right. Most people just download mkv files and convert them using Handbrake. I do that too. The only difference is that if I like a movie a lot, I buy it in Bluray.

Hellhammer
Feb 7, 2011, 09:48 AM
I hate to admit but it's torrents. I wish we had services like Netflix in here :( Only good way to get high definition content that I'm aware of is either go and buy/rent a Blu-Ray or torrent it. Since I only watch a movie once, I'm not ready to pay 30€ just for one movie and often I'm too lazy to get my ass up and go to a rent shop to rent one.

I know these are just excuses but seriously, I would be ready to pay if there was a service that offered something similar to torrents on terms of quality and availability. I think this (http://www.dontmakemesteal.com/) website sums up my thoughts exactly.

spencers
Feb 7, 2011, 09:53 AM
I use the net.

Bye Bye Baby
Feb 7, 2011, 10:07 AM

Netflix for me

Oh please get out of the pulpit.

petvas
Feb 7, 2011, 10:10 AM
I hate to admit but it's torrents. I wish we had services like Netflix in here :( Only good way to get high definition content that I'm aware of is either go and buy/rent a Blu-Ray or torrent it. Since I only watch a movie once, I'm not ready to pay 30€ just for one movie and often I'm too lazy to get my ass up and go to a rent shop to rent one.

I know these are just excuses but seriously, I would be ready to pay if there was a service that offered something similar to torrents on terms of quality and availability. I think this (http://www.dontmakemesteal.com/) website sums up my thoughts exactly.

I agree. I also have a problem paying money for content of low quality. In iTunes HD content isn't really HD. Another thing that bothers me is that the Audio isn't the original English (in most cases).
There are also none alternatives. The Playstation store has similar issues. The only thing that I could use are Bluray rental services, but the prices are very high and the way most of them work isn't ok. You have to create a wish list and the rental service sends you discs from the wish list, but there is no guarantee which disc will be delivered.

The only thing that works are mkv files from usenet...

georgee2face
Feb 7, 2011, 10:54 AM
i used to do torrents and rip dvd from the city library. Now, I rent what i don't want to keep from ITUNES STORE, or wait and buy from ITUNES store.

No more work, no more conversions, no more bad rips, sorry recodes, no media to return buy or trade off.

I love it this way. The SMALL extra cost to get what I want from ITUNES store far outweighs the "OMIG, I used the wrong handbrake setting again"

But that's just me.

MacDawg
Feb 7, 2011, 10:59 AM
Oh please get out of the pulpit.

I made a simple observation and I issued no condemnation
I only challenged the assumption that everyone did it or lied about it

You can get off your high horse whenever you choose :)

coochiekuta
Feb 7, 2011, 11:02 AM
if its a good movie that i know i like then i buy it on bluray from whoever offers the best price.

if its an older movie i like, not on bluray, i get it from whenever i can.

i dont buy downloads from anyone who uses drm. no itunes for me. why? because more often than not, the physical copy is the same price and my choices for playback are limited.

mouthster
Feb 7, 2011, 11:02 AM
Torrent 720p .mkvs. RSS feed for TV episodes, get new ones automatically. Jailbroken ATV2's with XBMC, no need for lame iTunes conversions.

System is so easy it would actually take more effort to set-up my DVR to record the TV shows, and I would have to fast-forward through commercials.

grawk
Feb 7, 2011, 11:04 AM
I've ripped most of my own dvds, using handbrake or RipIt.

coochiekuta
Feb 7, 2011, 11:08 AM

i didnt have the patience for torrents on my isp but i do have movies from coworkers i know were gotten by torrents or the like. its basically the same difference. sure not everyone uses torrents but ill bet nearly all of us have helped spread the fire.

mouthster
Feb 7, 2011, 11:10 AM
i didnt have the patience for torrents on my isp but i do have movies from coworkers i know were gotten by torrents or the like. its basically the same difference. sure not everyone uses torrents but ill bet nearly all of us have helped spread the fire.

You call it fire, I prefer to think of it as spreading the love.

Bye Bye Baby
Feb 7, 2011, 11:16 AM

Way to go in proving my point. ;)

henry2
Feb 7, 2011, 11:24 AM
Amazon or DVD Empire or few other places that i found on the internet ..

MRiOS
Feb 7, 2011, 11:27 AM
If I like it and It's available on DVD or Blu-ray I buy it and rip it using Handbrake/MakMKV and put it in iTunes.
for items not regularly available via normal methods (iTunes, amazon, etc…) Like the most recent episodes of TV shows, read Chuck from NBC which won't put the new season on iTunes, then I usually grab the highest quality torrent I can until I can purchase them. (then I usually re-rip the newer/better copy into iTunes)
If I'm unsure if I'll like it, then I rent via iTunes before purchasing.

RaceTripper
Feb 7, 2011, 12:23 PM
I have just started ripping all my DVDs (~500) to a 4 TB RAID 1+0 using a somewhat automated workflow as described in this Handbrake forum post (https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12726).

I am thinking about buying a Blu-ray drive I can use to rip my BRDs. Any recommendations? I'm looking at some of those found at OWC.

CylonGlitch
Feb 7, 2011, 12:25 PM

Netflix for me

I'm the same as you are. I don't torrent anything, every movie I have I own (300+ so far). I also own every piece of software I run.

I guess that's part of being older; to me, torrenting anything isn't worth the time. Sure I can, but seriously, why? The time it takes me to get the torrent, download it, then convert it; I've watched it on BluRay or DVD. Now, one could argue that I have to go buy the disc, but that often happens when I'm at the store anyway for something else. I don't make trips just for a movie. And with RedBox I get a ton of stuff when doing grocery shopping.

I need to start ripping all my DVD's and putting in iTunes for the AppleTV -- just I don't have the time to even do that. My life is just too busy to waste time doing something to save $10 to $20.

petvas
Feb 7, 2011, 12:30 PM
I'm the same as you are. I don't torrent anything, every movie I have I own (300+ so far). I also own every piece of software I run.

I guess that's part of being older; to me, torrenting anything isn't worth the time. Sure I can, but seriously, why? The time it takes me to get the torrent, download it, then convert it; I've watched it on BluRay or DVD. Now, one could argue that I have to go buy the disc, but that often happens when I'm at the store anyway for something else. I don't make trips just for a movie. And with RedBox I get a ton of stuff when doing grocery shopping.

I need to start ripping all my DVD's and putting in iTunes for the AppleTV -- just I don't have the time to even do that. My life is just too busy to waste time doing something to save $10 to $20.

While I don't like doing this, there are many reasons that apply to me:

I want to have an electronic copy of my movies in high quality
I want to have the original sound and not the German one :)
I want to watch movies that have just got released and are still not available on Bluray.

Before someone says that it isn't ethical to download movies like that, I can tell you that I do buy the movies I really like in Bluray format. I have more than 50 Bluray movies and more than 2000 DVDs (original DVDs that I bought).
If I had a service here in Germany that can offer me a solution to all of the above, I would love to use it and pay for it. Unfortunately there is nothing.

Vanilla
Feb 7, 2011, 01:01 PM
1. Netflix Streaming - great service, just wish it was the full library and was more portable, hence the need for option (2)..
2. Netflix DVD's - get them in the post, convert using handbrake, send them back, watch via ATV

If Netflix or Hulu would allow streaming wherever I happened to be located then I would give up eating up gigabytes of storage and just happily subscribe to watch the streams. However as a/in the case of netflix their streaming library is only a subset of the main DVD library and b/in both cases you are denied access when out of the country I frustratingly have to continue to deal with ripping shiny plastic discs into digital files and then pay to store them and back them up...

Zr970
Feb 7, 2011, 01:22 PM
1. Netflix Streaming - great service, just wish it was the full library and was more portable, hence the need for option (2)..
2. Netflix DVD's - get them in the post, convert using handbrake, send them back, watch via ATV

If Netflix or Hulu would allow streaming wherever I happened to be located then I would give up eating up gigabytes of storage and just happily subscribe to watch the streams. However as a/in the case of netflix their streaming library is only a subset of the main DVD library and b/in both cases you are denied access when out of the country I frustratingly have to continue to deal with ripping shiny plastic discs into digital files and then pay to store them and back them up...

I am on a 2010mbp, and ripping DVDs is just not an option with the built-in drive due to riplock or whatever you want to call it. Anyone have suggestions for an external that would be reliable and do a good job (looking more for recommendations that people have used - I can google just fine :))

RaceTripper
Feb 7, 2011, 02:27 PM
I am on a 2010mbp, and ripping DVDs is just not an option with the built-in drive due to riplock or whatever you want to call it. Anyone have suggestions for an external that would be reliable and do a good job (looking more for recommendations that people have used - I can google just fine :))

I have a 2010 MBP and have no problems ripping DVDs. I've probably done a dozen so far and have yet to run into problems.

iPhoneCollector
Feb 7, 2011, 02:30 PM
i kind of like the new netflix logo:

Zr970
Feb 7, 2011, 02:30 PM
I have a 2010 MBP and have no problems ripping DVDs. I've probably done a dozen so far and have yet to run into problems.

The ripping works, but it's painfully slow, a straight rip wth no compression takes as long as it does to watch the movie, whereas with a desktop I was always able to rip / compress in 25 minutes or so depending on compression rate...
Researching into it I found that they are spinning movie disks slower to reduce noise, causing the rip speeds to be trashed...

RaceTripper
Feb 7, 2011, 02:47 PM
The ripping works, but it's painfully slow, a straight rip wth no compression takes as long as it does to watch the movie, whereas with a desktop I was always able to rip / compress in 25 minutes or so depending on compression rate...
Researching into it I found that they are spinning movie disks slower to reduce noise, causing the rip speeds to be trashed...It's slow, but I just use Fairmount to copy DVDs to a staging area while I work on other stuff, and batch encode them when I'm not using my computer.

phxl
Feb 7, 2011, 10:35 PM
netflix, redbox, or i purchase dvds.

ptaylor9
Feb 8, 2011, 06:51 AM
Before someone says that it isn't ethical to download movies like that, I can tell you that I do buy the movies I really like in Bluray format. I have more than 50 Bluray movies and more than 2000 DVDs (original DVDs that I bought).

I dont quite understand the logic behind all the people that argue using torrents is fine because they then go an buy the (probably) small proportion they actually liked. It doesnt matter if you go anyd buy it, you still ripped off all those movies you didnt like.

Anywho, I tend to buy the DVDs and Rip them using handbrake, but as of last night I rented my first iTunes movie through my atv2 and feel this could become a very expensive habit....

wpotere
Feb 8, 2011, 07:10 AM
Way to go in proving my point. ;)

Not sure how he proved your point. I for one do not download torrents either. I use either iTunes or buy the DVD and rip them for play on my atv. He is correct, not everybody uses torrents.

NightStorm
Feb 8, 2011, 07:31 AM
All of my movies, with the exception of two, have been purchased from iTunes or encoded from my personal DVD/HDDVD/Bluray collection. I'll admit that I have "pirated" two videos simply because they are unavailable in any current digital format. They are: Song of the South (Disney) and Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown (Paramount). I assure you as soon as either of these are released, I'll be there on day one to buy my own copy.

That said, I really doubt we'll ever see an official release of SotS from Disney in the future.

petvas
Feb 8, 2011, 08:15 AM
I dont quite understand the logic behind all the people that argue using torrents is fine because they then go an buy the (probably) small proportion they actually liked. It doesnt matter if you go anyd buy it, you still ripped off all those movies you didnt like.

Anywho, I tend to buy the DVDs and Rip them using handbrake, but as of last night I rented my first iTunes movie through my atv2 and feel this could become a very expensive habit....

It is actually very simple. The prices Studios ask for their movies isn't right. Most people feel from the movie studios ripped off so they don't have any problem downloading these movies. As I said, I don't like doing that but at the moment there is no alternative.

Hellhammer
Feb 8, 2011, 08:31 AM

The issue is that there isn't a service that can offer something that torrents do. Like petvas said, he and I would be more than happy to pay for a service that offered decent HD content. It doesn't have to be as good as Blu-Rays but something better than what iTunes calls HD (we don't even have iTunes movies or TV shows here...).

I'm not saying it is ethical but seriously, these big film companies should start offering services to fight against piracy. Torrents aren't just for nerds anymore, nearly anyone can download a movie and watch it. Some, if not most, of these people are people who would pay for a service if there was one. The only services we got here offer SD quality movies and still charge 5-6€ to rent them! That is ridiculous. And these are old films that have usually come from the TV several times already.

I know these are just excuses and I wish I didn't have to use torrents. I would take streaming over downloading any day as then I could start watching immediately and my HDs wouldn't get full of stuff. I would be more than happy to pay 10-20€ a month for something like Netflix if they offered it in here.

ptaylor9
Feb 10, 2011, 07:01 AM
It is actually very simple. The prices Studios ask for their movies isn't right. Most people feel from the movie studios ripped off so they don't have any problem downloading these movies. As I said, I don't like doing that but at the moment there is no alternative.

I feel ripped off that VW are wanting to charge 40k for a California campervan that i really really like, doesnt mean I am going to go steal one hahah SO you are now saying the movie industry has driven you to a life of crime, maybe they should pay out some compensation ;)

I know where you are coming from though, I rented Predators the other night and it cost £4.49 which seems real expensive. I would really like a UK Lovefilm Service on the atv where I can stream content for a fixed price.

It does seem like a catch 22 though, film companies have to jack the prices up to make up for their 'perceived' loss of profits through piracy, which causes more people to go the dodgy route...more profits lost etc etc

I am mainly playing devils advocate here to be honest, I agree with both sides of the argument to some extent, but I do find the way people justify things to themselves very interesting.

I would take streaming over downloading any day as then I could start watching immediately and my HDs wouldn't get full of stuff. I would be more than happy to pay 10-20€ a month for something like Netflix if they offered it in here.

So you really get nothing over there? Seems a bit harsh! Is this due to licensing or what then?

P.

foodog
Feb 10, 2011, 07:14 AM

Netflix for me

Netflix Bluray ripped to MKV and then Handbraked to 720P m4v

OllyW
Feb 10, 2011, 07:19 AM
Buy: Amazon, HMV or Asda

Rent: LOVEFiLM

Borrow: Friends and family.

Streaming: Nothing yet.

maconservative
Feb 10, 2011, 07:53 AM
To rent: Blockbuster by mail/in-store exchange. (brick and mortar is in front of the neighborhood)

To buy: Usually Amazon, sometimes Best buy.
:apple:

newagemac
Feb 10, 2011, 08:01 AM
The issue is that there isn't a service that can offer something that torrents do. Like petvas said, he and I would be more than happy to pay for a service that offered decent HD content. It doesn't have to be as good as Blu-Rays but something better than what iTunes calls HD (we don't even have iTunes movies or TV shows here...).

How can you keep talking down iTunes rentals as not being HD when you don't even have the service there? I and most others who have actually tried it would have to say iTunes HD rentals are excellent quality. Not Blu Ray but it is certainly as good as or better than almost anything else referred to as "HD". And that includes Satellite TV and cable.

When it comes to internet streaming, iTunes is better in quality than other competitors like Netflix or Amazon and while there may be services like Vudu that let you stream at higher bitrates, they can't compete with the price and selection of iTunes. If your only standard for "HD" is Blu Ray then just say it isn't Blu Ray quality but don't say it isn't HD quality. But then, no one else is streaming upwards of 30mbps either.

Just like with digitally downloaded music vs CDs, it took some time but the quality has now reached the point where the convenience factor far outweighs any perceivable quality benefits of discs for most people. Most people aren't audiophiles or videophiles. Once the quality of the movie is no longer distracting (clear with no artifacts and blockiness), the story line becomes the focus and you just immerse yourself in the movie (like it should be) and that happens to be the same no matter which method you view your content.

With that being said, I use EyeTV for recording current seasons of TV shows which are automatically exported to iTunes and then immediately available to watch on my ATV2 with Home Sharing or on my iPhone 4 with the EyeTV iOS app and various other streaming video apps like Air Video. I use Netflix Instant Watch for older seasons, older movies, and documentaries. That makes up the bulk of my TV watching.

Then on weekends, movie night with the family, or when I just want to watch a good current movie, I rent it on iTunes. Great selection, high quality, and instant convenience. I have the Blu Ray disc option on Netflix but I just never seem to have time to mail them back on time and they sit here for weeks sometimes. And by the time we get the disc, we may not be in the mood for that particular movie.

I used to buy DVDs and BluRays but I converted all of them with Handbrake to play on the ATV2 and just don't buy any discs anymore. Nowadays when I want to watch a new release movie, I just use iTunes rentals on the ATV2.

iBlue
Feb 10, 2011, 08:06 AM
I used to buy the DVDs I was really interested in keeping (most often from Play.com or wherever had the best deal) and torrent many others. However it's very rare I torrent these days because LoveFilm (netflix but for the UK) has made it cheap and easy to see what I want to see. I still buy the DVDs (and soon, BluRays) that I really want to keep hold of.

Regardless of anyone's opinion on piracy, it has done some good things for us all. It's dropped prices, new releases are brought out worldwide much faster and films from the cinema come to DVD much faster as well. So drink up, me hearties, yo ho!

gdeusthewhizkid
Feb 10, 2011, 08:29 AM

the 2010 mbp hard drive can't be upgraded? I have the 160gig mb pro 13.3 mbp & i have upgraded from 320 to 500 gigs.

OllyW
Feb 10, 2011, 08:31 AM
the 2010 mbp hard drive can't be upgraded? I have the 160gig mb pro 13.3 mbp & i have upgraded from 320 to 500 gigs.

They were talking about the optical drive, not the hard drive.

gdeusthewhizkid
Feb 10, 2011, 08:34 AM
Cmon guys be honest you guys know you love torrents.

I like a above poster mention love the itunes 4.99 movie feature. I ve gotten alot of movies off of that. I also buy cheap bluerays from walmart. Other than i haven't purchased dvds in a long time. It's mostly itunes & netflix for me.

ngenerator
Feb 10, 2011, 08:36 AM
You are probably right. Most people just download mkv files and convert them using Handbrake. I do that too. The only difference is that if I like a movie a lot, I buy it in Bluray.

This. I go the torrent route. I've got a peerblocker so I'm good to go ;) Also Netflix (a friend's account) and blurays when I really like the movie. I've spent more than enough on dvds and blurays in the past few years, time to start saving

gdeusthewhizkid
Feb 10, 2011, 08:41 AM
what's a good site to get mkv files ?

MacDawg
Feb 10, 2011, 08:44 AM
what's a good site to get mkv files ?

Let's not go there... it is a violation of Forum Rules ;)

gdeusthewhizkid
Feb 10, 2011, 08:51 AM
Let's not go there... it is a violation of Forum Rules ;)

whoops !!!

Hellhammer
Feb 10, 2011, 09:00 AM
So you really get nothing over there? Seems a bit harsh! Is this due to licensing or what then?

I don't know why it's so. Finland is a pretty small market so big companies like Apple and Netflix aren't interested and it's hard for a small local service to offer what customers want (new releases, big selection, good quality, reasonable price...). You will also need Finnish subtitles to make the service successful as most people aren't good enough in English to fully enjoy the movie without subtitles.

There are some services that offer SD content but like I said before, they overcharge a lot.

How can you keep talking down iTunes rentals as not being HD when you don't even have the service there? I and most others who have actually tried it would have to say iTunes HD rentals are excellent quality. Not Blu Ray but it is certainly as good as or better than almost anything else referred to as "HD". And that includes Satellite TV and cable.

Explain me the endless amount of threads complaining about poor quality iTunes "HD" then. You are right, I don't know how good it really is but I've heard that the quality isn't that great from many, many people.

ptaylor9
Feb 10, 2011, 10:01 AM
Explain me the endless amount of threads complaining about poor quality iTunes "HD" then. You are right, I don't know how good it really is but I've heard that the quality isn't that great from many, many people.

I think a lot of those threads are from people who believe in much of a difference between 1080p and 720p (which is what iTunes HD is).
I would have to agree with newagemac here, I have bought a couple of movies in HD and have bought the TV series 'Wonders of the solar system' in HD, and think the quality is fantastic. Maybe its not quite BRD 1080p quality, but thats down to perception, and I personally dont see a problem.

I think a lot of people just like to sit and complain in forums...:D

OmegaRed1723
Feb 10, 2011, 10:14 AM
I have a back catalog of a few hundred DVDs. New movies I love get the Blu-Ray purchase + MakeMKV treatment. For everything else I use the service you aren't supposed to gossip about on the internet.

xraydoc
Feb 10, 2011, 10:22 AM
Maybe I'm too much of a goodie two-shoes, but my movies either come from iTunes purchases, Digital Copies included with certain Blu-Ray discs, or rips from DVDs that I actually own. So basically I pay for all the movies in my collection.

djmodifyd
Feb 10, 2011, 10:28 AM
I think a lot of those threads are from people who believe in much of a difference between 1080p and 720p (which is what iTunes HD is).
I would have to agree with newagemac here, I have bought a couple of movies in HD and have bought the TV series 'Wonders of the solar system' in HD, and think the quality is fantastic. Maybe its not quite BRD 1080p quality, but thats down to perception, and I personally dont see a problem.

I think a lot of people just like to sit and complain in forums...:D

exactly true

petvas
Feb 10, 2011, 11:38 AM
I can very good see the difference between an iTunes HD movie and a Bluray 1080p movie. Many people don't care but I do. I want to have the movies I like the most in the best quality available. Watching a movie in 720p quality is also ok, but as I said when I decide to keep a movie I want it in 1080p quality.

Resident Guru
Feb 10, 2011, 11:43 AM
I actually used to torrent tons of movies and music. I developed a conscience about it around a year and a half ago and deleted all my illegally obtained content and couldn't be happier. The vast majority of my Apple TV collection consists of rips from my own CD's, BD's, and DVD's. I also use Netflix but I do not rip those films as they do not belong to me. It's funny, I used to tell myself the same lies that some of you posters do to justify torrenting content. The fact of the matter is that it is still theft.

bobr1952
Feb 10, 2011, 11:48 AM
I use a lot of means to watch movies. First choice is Blu Ray--usually from Netflix--or I buy them from Amazon. Also watch streaming on Netflix--like my Apple TV for that. Still not happy that Netflix doesn't offer 5.1 sound--except on PS3. I haven't bought any movies--or rented any from iTunes yet--Apple TV is new--but I will. I have used Amazon Video on Demand and like that but I don't have any equipment that allows me to watch with 5.1 sound so I don't use Amazon for movies--mostly TV shows. I also plan to try Vudu--at least the free first movie they give you. Lots of choices but none are perfect so currently it seems it takes all of them to get what you want when you want it.

I don't use torrents for anything anymore--used to once upon a time but prefer the methods mentioned above.

petvas
Feb 10, 2011, 11:56 AM
I actually used to torrent tons of movies and movies. I developed a conscience about it around a year and a half ago and deleted all my illegally obtained content and couldn't be happier. The vast majority of my Apple TV collection consists of rips from my own CD's, BD's, and DVD's. I also use Netflix but I do not rip those films as they do not belong to me. It's funny, I used to tell myself the same lies that some of you posters do to justify torrenting content. The fact of the matter is that it is still theft.

I have spent thousand of Euros in DVDs and Bluray films, so I cannot leave such posts uncommented.
In Germany there is no Netflix. There is only iTunes and one or two streaming services, that either require a PC or a special set top box. Movie quality isn't good for the money they demand. There is no way to get the original audio version and I hate listening to Harrison Ford speaking German!
I buy movies I like in Bluray. There are also two renting services that cost around 4 Euro/DVD. I find the price to be very expensive, so I do not use these rental services. Another reason is that I would have to go to the post and send the discs back.
Is it too much to ask? I want an online service like iTunes with 1080p quality, original soundtracks and very good speeds. Prices should be around 1-2 Euro/Rental. A new movie in HD should cost 10-15 Euro.

FriarNurgle
Feb 10, 2011, 12:22 PM
Netflix.

kfscoll
Feb 10, 2011, 12:22 PM
I've honestly never torrented a movie. It's not worth the trouble, questionable quality, and I like having the "physical" media. Every movie I own I purchased myself (I have over 700 DVDs/HD DVDs/Blu-ray Discs). Nowadays I exclusively buy BDs, rip them to MKV using MakeMKV or AnyDVD/RibBot264 and then convert the MKVs to M4Vs using Handbrake.

pagansoul
Feb 10, 2011, 12:30 PM
When I get a coupons emailed to me I us BLOCKBUSTER or REDBOX. I have an NETFLIX account so I both stream and get DVDs from them. My Samsung Blu-ray player has both Netflix and Amazon and my :apple:TV gives me plenty to rent. But I mostly get used DVDs and Blu-rays at Pendergrass Flea Market in Georgia. I like owning my DVDs and CDs. Below is an old photo, I have more but I've been collecting since DVDs first came to be.

ngenerator
Feb 10, 2011, 07:23 PM
I actually used to torrent tons of movies and music. I developed a conscience about it around a year and a half ago and deleted all my illegally obtained content and couldn't be happier. The vast majority of my Apple TV collection consists of rips from my own CD's, BD's, and DVD's. I also use Netflix but I do not rip those films as they do not belong to me. It's funny, I used to tell myself the same lies that some of you posters do to justify torrenting content. The fact of the matter is that it is still theft.

Yup, keep telling yourself that. Here's a handy guide for you, if you can read it in your ivory tower.

EchoTheDolphin
Feb 10, 2011, 11:08 PM
Yup, keep telling yourself that. Here's a handy guide for you, if you can read it in your ivory tower.

So it's cool that if you ever come up with an idea, project, report, paper, invention etc etc that I copy it and take the proceeds, thanks!

toypadlock
Feb 11, 2011, 05:35 AM
So it's cool that if you ever come up with an idea, project, report, paper, invention etc etc that I copy it and take the proceeds, thanks!

no, because that - in essence - removes the original (because in those circumstances, the first paper/invention/etc is the only one that counts). guess again, captain smarty.

anyway, torrenting is better for the environment than buying physical media*.

*while this is strictly true, i don't actually use it to justify torrenting.

ptaylor9
Feb 11, 2011, 06:51 AM
Oooh I like a good argument.

I have spent thousand of Euros in DVDs and Bluray films, so I cannot leave such posts uncommented.

This point is irrelevant. You paid for those movies on Blu-Ray and DVD, as you should. It was the market price for that particular content. It doesn't matter how much you spent on legit stuff, you are still ripping off others.

In Germany there is no Netflix. There is only iTunes and one or two streaming services, that either require a PC or a special set top box. Movie quality isn't good for the money they demand. There is no way to get the original audio version and I hate listening to Harrison Ford speaking German!
I buy movies I like in Bluray. There are also two renting services that cost around 4 Euro/DVD. I find the price to be very expensive, so I do not use these rental services.

You know, there is a lot of stuff I find personally too expensive. I choose not to have that stuff (see VW Camper ref above). Just because you dont want to pay the price for something does not justify piracy. If we all got to decide hw much we want to pay for something, the world economy would probably collapse.

petvas
Feb 11, 2011, 07:06 AM
The prices movie studios charge us are a rip off. They are taking advantage of everybody and are greedy. I can only see two options: a) stop watching movies or b) return the studios the favor by downloading movies and if they are worth it, buy them.
For everything else in life I would say that piracy is bad, but I cannot say that about movie studios...
I own for example all applications I have on my Macs. I never pirate software because I know that it wouldn't be fair to the developers. With movies it is different. People pay once to watch the movie at the cinemas, then once again to rent it or buy it. At the same time people pay television rights for the movies and actors. Many people have pay TV and can watch such movies. That means they indirectly pay again.
How many times should we pay to watch one movie? According to the movie studios we should be paying money for every different distribution media that exists. This is what I call theft.

Dagless
Feb 11, 2011, 07:21 AM
^ It's not theft, it's capitalism.
It costs money to recut those films, to transfer them, to produce those discs, to ship them out, to license out the music and other copyrighted material. It costs money for the cinema to rent the film, to pay council tax, to power such powerful projects and sound systems.

The content creators don't get paid, so if it's not theft what is it?

I see nothing wrong with torrenting currently airing TV shows, what with all the forms of TV recording and (legal) streaming options there are now. But it's a no-go once they can be purchased on DVD.

RaceTripper
Feb 11, 2011, 07:44 AM
I find it very bizarre how people rationalize their piracy/theft of content. Very strange how people can live in denial....and then make themselves look very silly trying to justify it in public forums.

nwcs
Feb 11, 2011, 07:48 AM
Piracy is theft no matter how it's justified or excused.

All my movies are either in DVD form of things I've bought (and subsequently used handbrake to put into my library) or purchased from iTunes. I don't netflix, redbox, torrent, or blu-ray.

petvas
Feb 11, 2011, 07:51 AM
Piracy is theft no matter how it's justified or excused.

All my movies are either in DVD form of things I've bought (and subsequently used handbrake to put into my library) or purchased from iTunes. I don't netflix, redbox, torrent, or blu-ray.

So I can safely guess that you don't really care about FullHD 1080p quality that only a Bluray film can achieve.

nwcs
Feb 11, 2011, 07:55 AM
So I can safely guess that you don't really care about FullHD 1080p quality that only a Bluray film can achieve.

Yep. I've been in the technology world for 30 years. I can see the differences, subtle as they are. I just don't care that much. That doesn't mean it isn't important for other people -- just not important to me.

wpotere
Feb 11, 2011, 07:57 AM

FYI, your little graphic leaves something out... $$$

By pirating you are, in fact, depriving or taking money from the people that made it. Thus, it really is stealing. Keep trying to justify it but it is still wrong. I used to do this a lot as well but have since learned that people deserve to be paid for what they do.

petvas
Feb 11, 2011, 08:00 AM
I find it very bizarre how people rationalize their piracy/theft of content. Very strange how people can live in denial.

Who is denying anything here? What you people don't seem to get is that if there were no mkv files on the Internet, I would simply never ever but these films. That means that the studios and the movie creators doesn't lose any money. On the contrary, having the ability to watch a film first by downloading an mkv increases the chances that I will buy it, so at the end movie studios do make more money from me. I don't find it wrong and as long as people do not share these films with others I believe that it is ok. Also do not forget that downloading content from Usenet isn't free. There are many Usenet providers (like Giganews) who make a big profit out of people that have a subscription.
Imagine not having all this downloadable content. All Usenet providers would just close. There are also rumors that big Usenet providers do pay (under the table) the movie studios, in order to have no problems...

maril1111
Feb 11, 2011, 08:00 AM
Well like Hellhammer here in Denmark and I think most of scandinavia iTunes doesn't have a movie store nor tv shows heck we don't even have apple stores but resellers that are expensive as hell.

There is maybe one streaming company But you need a special box and the quality is sd so its worse than any of the us users have (stop complaining)

There is a movie rental called blockbuster like us however you have to go out to the rental to get it and older DVDs are usually so overused that they are practically unwatchable..

This leaves most Danes with wither torrenting or getting an illegitimate us account

MacDawg
Feb 11, 2011, 08:01 AM
Yep. I've been in the technology world for 30 years. I can see the differences, subtle as they are. I just don't care that much. That doesn't mean it isn't important for other people -- just not important to me.

Or for me
I get some Blu-ray from Netflix, but I honestly don't care one way or the other
And yes, I have a rather large HD TV
I would actually rather stream

As far as ripping or torrenting, there are only a handful of movies I would even care to watch a second time, much less a third or fourth

Easy enough for me to toss it at the top of my Netflix queue if it is something I want to see

RaceTripper
Feb 11, 2011, 08:05 AM
Who is denying anything here? What you people don't seem to get is that if there were no mkv files on the Internet, I would simply never ever but these films. That means that the studios and the movie creators doesn't lose any money. On the contrary, having the ability to watch a film first by downloading an mkv increases the chances that I will buy it, so at the end movie studios do make more money from me. I don't find it wrong and as long as people do not share these films with others I believe that it is ok. Also do not forget that downloading content from Usenet isn't free. There are many Usenet providers (like Giganews) who make a big profit out of people that have a subscription.
Imagine not having all this downloadable content. All Usenet providers would just close. There are also rumors that big Usenet providers do pay (under the table) the movie studios, in order to have no problems...You made me think about it some more, so I updated my post you quoted.

I sympathize with your situation but it doesn't change anything.

ptaylor9
Feb 11, 2011, 08:07 AM
When I get a coupons emailed to me I us BLOCKBUSTER or REDBOX. I have an NETFLIX account so I both stream and get DVDs from them. My Samsung Blu-ray player has both Netflix and Amazon and my :apple:TV gives me plenty to rent. But I mostly get used DVDs and Blu-rays at Pendergrass Flea Market in Georgia. I like owning my DVDs and CDs. Below is an old photo, I have more but I've been collecting since DVDs first came to be.

Nice collection btw.
Whats the 6th babylon 5 box, thought there were only 5 seasons? Not that im stalking your colection or anything haha

wpotere
Feb 11, 2011, 08:11 AM
Imagine not having all this downloadable content. All Usenet providers would just close. There are also rumors that big Usenet providers do pay (under the table) the movie studios, in order to have no problems...

You make an aweful lost of assumptions to justify what you do.

Sorry, but morally you are wrong and if you had a piece of artwork (song, photo or movie) that you created spread across the web for free you would be singing a different song as you would be the one that is out all that money.

petvas
Feb 11, 2011, 08:23 AM
You make an aweful lost of assumptions to justify what you do.

Sorry, but morally you are wrong and if you had a piece of artwork (song, photo or movie) that you created spread across the web for free you would be singing a different song as you would be the one that is out all that money.

Whatever. I am not justifying anything. I am just explaining why someone would prefer to download mkv files.

Give me HD movie rentals for 1€ and I would immediately forget that Mkv files exist.
I think I made my point so there is no reason for me discussing it further. You have your opinion and I have mine. Let's leave it there.

toypadlock
Feb 11, 2011, 08:34 AM
i dunno about you lot, but my justification for piracy is that you get stuff for free! it's brilliant, you should try it.

wpotere
Feb 11, 2011, 08:37 AM
I think I made my point so there is no reason for me discussing it further.

Then don't!

I have family that have had photos stolen for use on web sites as well as music pirated. I also lived in Germany for 4 years and know how difficult it can be to get things but that still never made me turn to the internet for pirating reasons. I would love to have a copy of Die Wella but sadly it isn't available here in the USA (at least it wasn't, I haven't looked recently) and the only way I might be able to get it is via DVD which is region locked. So, I do without. I suppose I could get it via the internet but I want to pay the people that made it.

Apple Expert
Feb 11, 2011, 08:39 AM
Blockbuster online. iTunes is too expensive. On a side note. I haven't used my apple tv in months. I feel it's just not ready for prime-time.

petvas
Feb 11, 2011, 08:43 AM
Then don't!

I have family that have had photos stolen for use on web sites as well as music pirated. I also lived in Germany for 4 years and know how difficult it can be to get things but that still never made me turn to the internet for pirating reasons. I would love to have a copy of Die Wella but sadly it isn't available here in the USA (at least it wasn't, I haven't looked recently) and the only way I might be able to get it is via DVD which is region locked. So, I do without. I suppose I could get it via the internet but I want to pay the people that made it.

Guess what? They don't want you to have it! How nice is that? Companies with their silly policies frustrate consumers and make them look at piracy (not you).

Grey Area
Feb 11, 2011, 09:17 AM
I actually used to torrent tons of movies and music. I developed a conscience about it around a year and a half ago and deleted all my illegally obtained content and couldn't be happier.

I hope that you did not just delete your illegal tons of movies and music, but that you also bought the original versions of everything. Otherwise you experienced these works without compensating the creators, and your memories of these works have been obtained illegally.

And I hope you made sure that you paid at least as much for these originals as they would have cost at the time when you torrented them - if you torrented a movie at the time of its full price release, you certainly cannot make up for this by purchasing a bargain bin DVD of it today. Technically you should even take interest and inflation rate into account, because if you deprived some creator of his $20 in 2007, that money would be worth quite a bit more today, and he never got to enjoy this compensation over these years.

Honestly, this gets so tricky to keep track of - I somewhat admire that you can still be happy in your situation, because I would feel completely doomed.

iPhoneCollector
Feb 11, 2011, 09:55 AM
I hope that you did not just delete your illegal tons of movies and music, but that you also bought the original versions of everything. Otherwise you experienced these works without compensating the creators, and your memories of these works have been obtained illegally.

And I hope you made sure that you paid at least as much for these originals as they would have cost at the time when you torrented them - if you torrented a movie at the time of its full price release, you certainly cannot make up for this by purchasing a bargain bin DVD of it today. Technically you should even take interest and inflation rate into account, because if you deprived some creator of his $20 in 2007, that money would be worth quite a bit more today, and he never got to enjoy this compensation over these years.

Honestly, this gets so tricky to keep track of - I somewhat admire that you can still be happy in your situation, because I would feel completely doomed.

dude calm down. i bet you torrent every single movie that come out and catches your interest.

ECUpirate44
Feb 11, 2011, 09:56 AM
Redbox and rip to my mac. It costs me $1.08 to have a movie :D

pjarvi
Feb 11, 2011, 10:12 AM
In this order:
iTunes
Amazon Video on Demand
DVD
Netflix
Torrent
VHS

I check iTunes first for everything and buy from there. (over 180+ movies). One sort of exception to this if there is a new movie I absolutely love and must own, then I'll check for a Blu-Ray version that comes with an iTunes digital copy. I've gotten probably 6 movies from digital copies like this, most recent example: Despicable Me.

If iTunes doesn't have what i'm looking for I check Amazon Video on Demand. I've got a Blu-Ray HTIB that has Amazon support built-in so it's easy to watch content from them on my TV. I currently have 4 movies from Amazon.

If I can't find what I want for legal purchase digitally, I then check for it on DVD and rip it. I can't remember the name of the tool I use to rip with, it's a hella' old XP tool that has worked on everything I throw at it. For compressing/conversion I use an Elgato Turbo.264. (40+ movies)

If it's not on DVD then i'll usually just check for it on Netflix so I can at least watch the movie to satiate my interest in seeing it. Alternatively, I may just watch something on Netflix if I think the price for it on iTunes/Amazon is too much to tide me over until it goes on sale.(20+)

If I really want to have a copy of something that isn't on any of the above, I'll then resort to checking torrents, and if there's no torrents I'll go as far as buying it on VHS and recording it to the computer with an Elgato EyeTV. (~5 torrents and 3 VHS)

I used to just buy DVD's and rip them, but I prefer to just buy digitally to save the time and hassle of ripping and encoding. If I were still a teenager, there is no doubt I would just torrent everything possible, and rent DVD's to rip instead of buying anything. (tip: check your local library for DVD movies;) )

Moyank24
Feb 11, 2011, 10:13 AM

Doomed seems a bit over dramatic in this situation. It's not like this guy is stealing from babies or murdering puppies.

The actors/actresses who are demanding tens of millions of dollars while the people who are responsible for making the film happen (cameramen, grips, editors, etc..) get paid pennies don't seem to be losing sleep. You shouldn't either.

wpotere
Feb 11, 2011, 10:14 AM
Guess what? They don't want you to have it! How nice is that? Companies with their silly policies frustrate consumers and make them look at piracy (not you).

I totally agree with you here. It is silly... Some of it is actually corporate policy where others are zoll (customs) and country policies. Sadly we all really live in a global economy yet every country treats it on a very individual level. We should all be able to buy what we want and we are getting there but it will take time. I very much remember my neighbor asking me to buy him a DVD of a movie because he couldn't get it on the German economy. Trust me, I feel your frustration.

Grey Area
Feb 11, 2011, 10:16 AM
dude calm down. i bet you torrent every single movie that come out and catches your interest.

I will neither confirm nor deny this. ;-) I'm just trying to see things from Resident Guru's position, and wondering how consistent he is.

mouthster
Feb 11, 2011, 10:38 AM
If I could download a car, I would.

omni
Feb 11, 2011, 10:54 AM
I tried bittorrenting movies but the whole process drove me nuts. I think I'm too OCD.

Sometimes the file would say it's HD, when in fact it was not. Half the things i found only had 2 channel audio even though it claimed to be in AC3. Not to mention the quality was just all over the place and I can't stand all the network logo's on tv shows to begin with.

So for the sake of quality / consistency - I rip everything that I buy myself. That way the files have 5.1 audio, subtitles, chapters, chapter names, etc.

Over 2000+ tv shows and probably 300 or so movies, not 1 was downloaded illegally.

I also don't buy from itunes for the same reasons - lack of 5.1 and lack of subtitles.

kellen
Feb 11, 2011, 11:13 AM
I don't torrent. My decision because I would rather not be sued later, even though I realize the odds are so low to not really be a factor. I don't care if you do or don't torrent, I just choose not to.

Also because Redbox is only $1. I usually only keep movies for one night, return the next. Only annoying thing is the lag for some movies.

newagemac
Feb 11, 2011, 12:29 PM
i dunno about you lot, but my justification for piracy is that you get stuff for free! it's brilliant, you should try it.

Yeah, you can also get free cars if you just steal them. It's brilliant, you should try it!

/sarcasm

newagemac
Feb 11, 2011, 12:42 PM
The prices movie studios charge us are a rip off. They are taking advantage of everybody and are greedy. I can only see two options: a) stop watching movies or b) return the studios the favor by downloading movies and if they are worth it, buy them.
For everything else in life I would say that piracy is bad, but I cannot say that about movie studios...
I own for example all applications I have on my Macs. I never pirate software because I know that it wouldn't be fair to the developers. With movies it is different. People pay once to watch the movie at the cinemas, then once again to rent it or buy it. At the same time people pay television rights for the movies and actors. Many people have pay TV and can watch such movies. That means they indirectly pay again.
How many times should we pay to watch one movie? According to the movie studios we should be paying money for every different distribution media that exists. This is what I call theft.

I'm sorry but most of these arguments sound like nothing more than what any simple thief would say. OK so you believe that the movie studios are charging too much so that gives you the right to steal from them. It's like saying it's ok to rob the local liquor store if you believe the store owner is overcharging for the products he offers. That argument simply just does not hold up to any reasonable person.

I have news for you sir. You have two options:

1. Pay what they are charging and receive the product they are offering.

2. Not pay and not receive the product.

You don't have an unalienable God given right to watch the movie. You can't choose to not pay and still receive the product. That is theft. Your "reasons why you robbed the liquor store" do not hold up.

With that being said, I do agree that they are charging way too much and putting ridiculous restrictions on their content. And DRM is one of the worse "solutions" that you can throw upon your would be customers.

So they deserve for you not to buy their product. But you're no better than them when you set the price at $0. And widespread piracy (by people like yourself who feel it is justified) is one of the reasons why DRM and all these restrictions are continually being thrust upon us. Piracy does not make the situation any better. It makes it worse.

You know what would make the situation better? Just don't buy it at all. And show no interest whatsoever. As long as you keep showing interest by trying to get it through illegal means they will keep trying to sell it and at higher costs and at with more restrictions and DRM. So the solution is to NOT watch their movies AT ALL if you want them to feel the pain and change things for the better.

But of course, most people really just want something for nothing. Thieves have existed throughout eternity so I don't think this is going to change anytime soon. And every common thief has a "justification" if you listen to them tell it.

mouthster
Feb 11, 2011, 12:48 PM
stealing / thievery does not equal copyright infringement, which is what we are talking about here.

petvas
Feb 11, 2011, 12:52 PM
I just had a look at iTunes again. Here in Germany the typical price of a HD (720p) movie (rental) is 4,99€. How much is it in USA?

I have also looked at video buster (www.videobuster.de). It is a rental service in Germany.
They send DVDs or Bluray Discs and you get to send them per post back. The prices there are also very expensive. On average they demand 3-4€/Disc.

I watch around 10 movies a month. If I wanted to rent them from iTunes I would need 50€. If I want to be total honest, I don't think this is a price I can pay and justify to myself.

petvas
Feb 11, 2011, 12:59 PM
I also want to add some things to complete the picture. I watch a couple of TV series that I cannot watch in Germany in their original english sound. Two and a half men and Californication are two of them. I can download both series on Usenet and watch them. I just checked on iTunes and the current season of Two and a half Men isn't even available.
If I wanted to continue watching the stuff I like and be completely legal, I wouldn't be able to do it!
No current TV series (or very expensive), no porn (that has to also be considered), no 1080p quality. It seems a very good deal trying to be completely legal.
I am really sorry to say that, and I would love to completely abandon the Usenet, but I don't see how I can do it and still keep watching the TV series I want. (among others).

ngenerator
Feb 11, 2011, 07:01 PM
I've just been burned on buying too many crappy movies to feel like I should keep purchasing them outright. $5 is way too much money to justify a rental. Hence the cassette and crossbones icon in my favorites tab. I watch good movies more than once, and if a movie I downloaded is actually good then I will buy it on bluray/dvd then rip a copy for my ATV2. There's not really any harm in that.

Besides, if a movie, tv show, or album sucks, then why would I want to support the artist? If they make crappy music or movies, they don't deserve to make money. If I do a bad job at work, I have to suffer the consequences.

If I don't like it, I delete it. Some say I should pay to try it out? No thanks. I know there's now 90 second previews on iTunes, but whoopdie do.

blairh
Feb 19, 2011, 03:09 PM
I gave up owning physical media about 3 years ago. I ripped my entire DVD collection (400 titles) to my 2 TB external HD using RipIt. If I want to watch a movie I connect my MBP to my HDTV. Down the road I'll buy another Mac Mini to connect to the TV for convenience. I watch new releases and restored classics on BD via Netflix.

If I watch a BD and want to own the HD version of the film, I seek out the appropriate torrent. I feel like crap using torrents but I refuse to purchase DRM movies (iTunes). I would be open to purchasing HD digital films if they came DRM free, but that option does not currently exist.

Sometimes I rent DVDs from Netflix that are not available in Blu-ray. If I really like the movie and want to own it I rip it to my external before mailing it back.

Also this (http://www.dontmakemesteal.com/en/#manifesto) website that Hellhammer linked to previously in the thread nails it. There simply are not sufficient ways, IMO, of purchasing and owning digital copies of films.

bobr1952
Feb 20, 2011, 08:38 AM
I only buy a few movies--I usually rent via Netflix, Apple TV, or Amazon VOD--if I like the movie I buy the Blu Ray from Amazon--I don't have a problem with DRM--or the cost of the Blu Rays I buy--I don't buy them if they are too expensive. I don't use torrents.