Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
The manager at the new Mayfair Mall store in Wauwatosa requires it, though other employees are ignoring the rule.

Has anyone else met up with sort of hassle elsewhere? Has anyone been told a driver's licence isn't sufficient an identification?

Is this company policy?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
When did you get asked for ID? Was it a large purchasw?

I haven't been asked for an ID at an Apple store yet. But my store purchases have all been under $100. I've been to 3 Apple stores.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
ID to buy a Mac?? I know where I'd tell that moron to shove his Mac the cheeky........ :eek: :eek: :eek:

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
I think they only ask for an ID if you purchase over a certain amount and using a credit card. Or at least that's what happened to me. Two powerbooks to different times with a credit card and both times they asked for ID. Buying software and other little things, they didn't ask for ID. Maybe it is store policy.

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
I was at a Nautica store, and they asked for an idea to go with my credit card also. I don't think that it is a big deal. They are trying to protect themselves against fraud, and I think that it is a fair thing to do.

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
That whole id idea is ********.
I was in the US last year and had a couple of drinks somewhere and I wanted to pay with my CC. They needed to see some id (like I carry that every day with me). but ok... I showed them my drivers license....You should have seen the look on their faces...It was like...what is this..
They didnt believe it was a drivers licence, they never saw 1 from an other country...I couldnt care less.I drank all the drinks allready :)
At the apple store it wasnt a problem..they didnt even ask.
Great!
(why the hell am I telling this? :) I really dont know
ow yeah. apple store service was great.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Never heard of this, but I guess it makes sense if you are making huge purchases.

I worked in retail for almost 6 years and most people always grumbled when I asked for ID, but whenever someone lost a card and found fraudulant charges on their account, guess what the first thing outta there mouth was... "Why didn't you check thier ID to make sure the card wasn't stolen?!" :rolleyes: The #1 worst thing about retail is the idiot f**king customers you have to deal with... but that's a rant for another day. ;)

Lethal

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
where do you people live where you are not used to stores asking to see an id when you use a credit card? that is how credit cards are supposed to work. its not just the apple store it is every store doing proper buisiness everywhere in the united states. they want to see that the name on the id matches the name on the card. that is how credit cards are used.

flanders

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Atlanta, GA
i've been asked at the apple store too and not just above a certain amount either, I was asked before buying a spindle of cdr's (about $29 worth). I really don't mind, I even have "please check id" on the signature block of my credit card. You'd be surprised how many store employees don't even ask then.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
What's wrong with asking for ID? Don't people steal credit cards where you live? Personally, when somebody bothers to check the signature on my credit card and ask me for photo ID for a credit card purchase, I'm more inclined to thank them for doing their jobs in an attentive and professional manner, especially if I'm buying something expensive. So few people in retail bother. It adds, what, ten seconds to the transaction?

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
where do you people live where you are not used to stores asking to see an id when you use a credit card? that is how credit cards are supposed to work. its not just the apple store it is every store doing proper buisiness everywhere in the united states. they want to see that the name on the id matches the name on the card. that is how credit cards are used.

exactly. sounds like people have been living in nickatnite tvland or something. like "cheers" as a city. where everybody knows your name. thats how credit cards work, they check your id. in these days of the internet, i would be angry if i WASN'T asked for ID and have no problem offering another form, because identity theft rings are a real problem.

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Originally posted by sparkleytone
exactly. sounds like people have been living in nickatnite tvland or something. like "cheers" as a city.

Actually, I have lived around two major cities (Chicago and Phoenix) and have generally observed that cashiers at most large chain stores almost never check ID for credit card purchases -- some of them don't even check the signature! Smaller independent stores generally check the signature and ask for ID.

I know the way credit cards are supposed to work, but the system is only as good as the people who are supposed to enforce it.

fox290

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
I've been asked for I.D. while buying 1 DVD from Best Buy and I didn't have my license, checked the car wasn't there, drove home wasn't there, came back to my car and found it! Went back to best buy but to a different cashier same movie and she asked my for my I.D. again! My card was signed and everything. I wasn't mad or anything cuz they were doing there job.

Just like we enforce it at the movie theater I work at. Everytime a card isn't signed or it's says "C.I.D", "Please ask for I.D." Even though it's an eight dollar purchase we show them the back of their card and say "It says here I need to see your I.D." they almost always "say thank you for asking", your the only ones who ask to see my I.D.

Yes we tried to avoid the "it says on my bank account satement that movie tickets were purchased and I've never been to your movie theater" and then it's the whole you need to call our corporate office because we can't do nothing about it here. "What kinda of business is this!!!!!"

Yes, checking I.D. is good!!!!!

macsurfer

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
NYC, L.A.
Originally posted by iwantanewmac
That whole id idea is ********.
I was in the US last year and had a couple of drinks somewhere and I wanted to pay with my CC. They needed to see some id (like I carry that every day with me). but ok... I showed them my drivers license....You should have seen the look on their faces...It was like...what is this..
They didnt believe it was a drivers licence, they never saw 1 from an other country...I couldnt care less.I drank all the drinks allready :)
At the apple store it wasnt a problem..they didnt even ask.
Great!
(why the hell am I telling this? :) I really dont know
ow yeah. apple store service was great.

You should ALWAYS carry your ID with you.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by macsurfer
You should ALWAYS carry your ID with you.

No need, the cops will be happy to take you down to the station to confirm your ID.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Or maybe...

...they are trying to check that you aren't a resident of in one of the "banned" countries that they aren't allowed to sell computers to.

I know...you're all saying, "geez I haven't seen Osama bin Laden down at the local Apple Store..."

...cut me some slack, it's only like my 5th post or something!

Kinsella217

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
I respect that...

Many stores... many smarter stores require their cashiers to require ID. It protects the stores AND customers against stolen card useage and fraudulant card useage. Sometimes customers may not like that, but you can't protect some people from themselves. Why do people get angry at cashiers or waitstaff or other hourly employees when they're trying to do their jobs correctly and properly? These people make little to no money and just want to have a decent day and perform their job well. Cut them some slack.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Re: I respect that...

Originally posted by Kinsella217
Many stores... many smarter stores require their cashiers to require ID. It protects the stores AND customers against stolen card useage and fraudulant card useage. Sometimes customers may not like that, but you can't protect some people from themselves. Why do people get angry at cashiers or waitstaff or other hourly employees when they're trying to do their jobs correctly and properly? These people make little to no money and just want to have a decent day and perform their job well. Cut them some slack.

well said.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: I respect that...

Originally posted by Kinsella217

If there was ever a perfect first post this is it! :)

Lethal

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Only thing is my regular ID was done back in '83 and I don't look like the pencil-necked dork in the photo -- and my signature has changed a bit since then, too.

I tend to use my driver's license as a consequence.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by Sun Baked

No need, the cops will be happy to take you down to the station to confirm your ID.

This is very true. i carry my license when driving, just because it's kinda "illegal" not to... tho when i forget, usually the cops will just look it up. what pisses me off is that we're now supposed to carry ID *everywhere*... i don't carry it *just* to spite my partner, i say i have the right to not carry it...

only thing that pisses me off about getting ID'd for credit card purchases... Okay, the drivers license stations have you sign an electronic pad, the credit card gives you a 1/2 inch high place to sign, and they're supposed to match your receipt signature exactly?! hello! i hate getting hassled because it looks different...

:)
pnw

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
doors open?

Im with AmbitiousLemon, what part of the word do you live in where they dont ask for ID? Hell, in my city, they will ask you for ID at StarBux for a cappachino!

Can you leave your front door unlocked in your town too?

I see that pimentoLoaf (guy who started this thread) if from the Midwest... that might explain some things. Maybe credit card fraud is not as big of a problem there. My brother got his card stolen once and the guy went some place in the midwest and rented a car... then never returned it! We only found out that the card was stolen (just the number... not the physical card) when the cops called from that state looking for my brother and wanted to know why he hadn't returned the retal car.

-evildead

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.