Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blurb23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Hey guys,

I'm looking to pick up these speakers to use with my MBP and I've got a few questions:

1) I'm assuming I can connect them via the headphone jack. Is that cable included or would I have to buy it?
2) Is there a way to connect the Soundsticks with the optical port? Would that sound better? If so, what kind of cable would I need?
3) I'm currently using these. I'm assuming I'm going to be hearing a massive improvement, correct?
4) Anyone have any alternatives to Soundsticks? Preferably cheaper, heh. I'm big on aesthetics :eek:

Also, in case it makes any difference, I'm using a first-gen Unibody MBP.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I have a pair of soundsticks II and prior to that I had a pair of Soundsticks I. The sound quality is great and I recommend them. I looked on the Amazon UK store are have copied the comments of one user, who bought these to replace their Z-2300.

"Prior to purchasing these speakers I owned the Logitech Z-2300 set. Here is a quick comparison between the two, if you are deciding between these two speaker sets:
1. The Logitech has much deeper bass than the HK3 set, but excessive bass that drowned out the rest of the sound. That makes the Logitechs poor for movies.
2. The HK3 is obviously much sexier, smaller, and more desk friendly.
3. Although the Logitech Z-2300's are obviously much louder, the HK3 provides more than enough volume for the average user, even if it's for a house party.
4. Finally the quality of the sound and its clarity is far more superior on the HK3."

fysh3

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2011
Plymouth UK
I have the soundstick 2's. I love them, and everyone who hears them complement them on the rich sound. Cant go wrong really! :)

iWolf00

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
HK3 is the best deal

I had used logitech on my mac to play music and movies and replace it with SoundStick II. The quality of sound is significant better than Logitech speakers.
I can tell you there is no way I will buy logitech again. The HK lack availability of 5.1 speaker for Mac, in my opinion.

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
Logitech always have decent base with rubbish everything else, so the end result is all thumping and no detail. I have had Soundstick II's, which were excellent but not tried III's. But if I was buying now in this price bracket I would have the soundstick at the top of my list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.